NCL SUN and Tracey Arm

Jdittman

NCL just released the Alaska shore excursion list and the Aug 26 trip shows that they are not doing Tracey Arm. This was one of the primary reasons for doing this date and ship.

Is there a possibility that this will change?

Do I call my T/A and complain?

Should I pray that they change their mind?

Or attempt to reschedule?

John

NCL just released the Alaska shore excursion list and the Aug 26 trip shows that they are not doing Tracey Arm. This was one of the primary reasons for doing this date and ship.

Is there a possibility that this will change?

Do I call my T/A and complain?

Should I pray that they change their mind?

Or attempt to reschedule?

John

If the excursion is a must do your best bet is change the date - they move the excursion boat every year the end of August. You will still go into Tracy arm on the Sun. How close you get to Sawyer Glacier will be dependent on ice flow

1619807739_SUNTracyarm.jpg.270f206a52c76af61468f1657df960a2.jpg

Tracy Arm is a beautiful journey and I think this excursion would be one of the highlights of your trip. So, as ShoreGuy has already stated, I might see if I could reschedule the cruise for an earlier date.

We took the journey into Tracy Arm in Sept 2003 on the NCL Sky and were able to get fairly close to the glacier, but not as far as earlier cruises. This past September we were on the Spirit and scheduled to go into Tracy Arm and all the way back to Sawyer Glacier, however, there was so much ice in the water that even before we began going into Tracy Arm, it was announced we wouldn't be able to.

It was disappointing because we had first time cruisers with us who were really looking forward to seeing the glacier. But the captain and his crew found another glacier for us to see. We went into Endicott Arm and saw Dawes glacier. Tracy Arm had more beauty, but the glacier itself was even better than Sawyer Glacier and we could get closer to it. Also, the BIG plus about going into Endicott Arm on this unscheduled journey was that we saw a LOT more wildlife in the water than we had going into Tracy Arm. So, while it was initially a big disappointment, it turned into a huge plus and I was SO pleased!

I was completely impressed with the captain and the entire NCL crew that did what they could to turn this unexpected turn of events into a wonderful adventure for everyone. We saw a part of the world that it seemed (to us) that not many people will ever get to see.

Anyway, I hope your plans to do the Tracy Arm excursion come to fruition. I think that being in a smaller vessel in the Arm, and being able to see the ship separately while viewing the glacier AND being able to see the glacier up close would be a ton of fun.

Have fun!

Hikini:D

Archived