Scooter rentals for accessibility

pmjnh

I am traveling with someone who may benefit from a scooter rental when on board. Does HAL have rentals available or would they need to rent a scooter from an outside source before embarkation?

How would this work?

thanks

• Like 1

You would need to rent a device from a third-party vendor, such as Special Needs at Sea. 

Depending on the vendor and port, the scooter will be available for ship-side pickup and/or delivery to your cabin.

Note that most shops require passengers to store and charge their mobility device in their cabin. Depending on the ship and cabin, it can be difficult, if not impossible, to get a scooter into a cabin that is not designated by the cruise company as accessible- the doors may not be wide enough, and furniture may be in the way.

Often, accessible cabins are among the first type of cabin to be sold out- most ships have only a handful of accessible cabins- usually under 5% of their total cabins.

happy sailing!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, mauimacho said:

We rented a rollator for our upcoming Alaska cruise from scootaround .com. They will deliver it to the room. There is probably a different scenario for a motorized scooter.

Not much, actually. Scooters are a bit more expensive- that’s about the only difference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, FOPMan said:

You would need to rent a device from a third-party vendor, such as Special Needs at Sea. 

Depending on the vendor and port, the scooter will be available for ship-side pickup and/or delivery to your cabin.

Note that most shops require passengers to store and charge their mobility device in their cabin. Depending on the ship and cabin, it can be difficult, if not impossible, to get a scooter into a cabin that is not designated by the cruise company as accessible- the doors may not be wide enough, and furniture may be in the way.

Often, accessible cabins are among the first type of cabin to be sold out- most ships have only a handful of accessible cabins- usually under 5% of their total cabins.

happy sailing!

Thanks so much. I have passed along this information to our friend.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lstrong said:

Can you tell me the cost of a rollator rental please?

Your best bet is to call the two companies that service HAL and ask them. The price will depend on how long the cruise is, whether or not you are returning to the same port for disembarkation (there's an extra charge for one-way rentals), if you want insurance or not, and perhaps some other criteria. 
It's been three years since I rented one, so don't clearly remember. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, FOPMan said:

Not much, actually. Scooters are a bit more expensive- that’s about the only difference.

Rollators and scooters are very different.  One you have to walk the other you ride.  Rollators fold up scooters do not.  Rollators weigh about 20 pounds at most, scooters 50 to 100 I would guess.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Dreamer115 said:

Rollators and scooters are very different.  One you have to walk the other you ride.  Rollators fold up scooters do not.  Rollators weigh about 20 pounds at most, scooters 50 to 100 I would guess.  

I’ve got quite a collection of both rollator as and scooters/ECVs so (and power wheelchairs, as well).

I’ve rented equipment from both SNAS as scootaround, multiple times.

There’s not much difference in the protocol for renting or delivery between rollators and other equipment. The vendor takes the reservation and either drops the equipment in your stateroom or has it for pickup shoreside, depending on the port and the vendor.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FOPMan said:

I’ve got quite a collection of both rollator as and scooters/ECVs so (and power wheelchairs, as well).

I’ve rented equipment from both SNAS as scootaround, multiple times.

There’s not much difference in the protocol for renting or delivery between rollators and other equipment. The vendor takes the reservation and either drops the equipment in your stateroom or has it for pickup shoreside, depending on the port and the vendor.

Sorry I answered as I did, but the way it sounded was there wasn't much difference between the two pieces of equipment.

• Like 1