Portimao Ideas

We have a stop in Portimao in October, arriving early and leaving at 4pm.  I gather we will tender into port and get a shuttle or taxi into town.  In Oct is it going to be interesting to just walk about the town, anybody know what would be good to see there or is it mostly shopping?  I imaging the beach may be a bit cool.  Would it make more sense to travel out more into the Algave region, maybe there are sights and towns that would be interesting?  Not sure if we should use this as a chill day, or plan to get out of the immediate port area to see more scenery or sights ?  

Portimao isn't a very interesting town and one of the very few in the Algarve that doesn't really attract tourists. There's a very good beach nearby, Praia da Roche, but unlikely to be beach weather in late October.

From the nearby marina you could take a boat tour to the Benagil cave. I've spent a few holidays a bit further west in the town of Lagos from where you can take boat trips around the caves and coves of the Pointe de Piedade and the old town is lovely for a walk.

Further west you'll find what used to be referred to as The End of the World at Cape St Vincent. A very rugged coastline where the Portugese used to train their sailors who circumnavigated the globe. There's the fort at Sagres to explore and a lighthouse at Cape St Vincent.

Perhaps we will look at an excursion that includes Lagos then, sounds like it might be a good idea to explore outside of port.

Another suggestion.

We didn't find the town itself very interesting either, but before leaving home had looked at different options within a short travelling distance, and settled on pretty ALVORThere will be many images and much info about it online, including Tripadvisor..  We took the public bus from Portimao and it wasn't a long drive (I think just under 30 minutes)and  really cheap, perhaps only 1 or 2 euros pp each way.  The bus stop in Alvor was right next to the historic older part of town which is typically Portuguese with coloured buildings and a couple of churches.  Strolling around the compact area then downwards to the waterfront we enjoyed the view, peace and calm, and watching the many birds.  To the left of that area is a selection of cafes and bars overlooking the estuary, perfect for a stop.  We then walked along some of the boardwalk which runs through the nature reserve.  Returning to the same bus stop for the return to Portimao, we saw one of the shorex buses from our ship arriving.  There had been a shorex offered which was something like "pretty fishing villages of the Algarve" so Alvor must have been one of them.  Back in Portimao we walked around before returning to theship but had much preferred  our time in Alvor.

Yes, it is super touristy, with many souvenir shops, but charming nonetheless, and in the morning it was quiet. The most activity we saw was people strolling the boardwalk and the many fish restaurants setting up for lunch service.

It is worth your consideration.

Edited by edinburgher

Thank you for kind response cleobella, as not everyone acknowledges replies to their questions.  I hope you do look at Alvor online as it was easy, inexpensive and enjoyable too.

Don't laugh, but believe it or not we did a city break to your city a good number of years ago.  Never ventured as far as that on a city break either  before nor since then, but the direct flights were the temptation and it was a country we had not visited until then.

Edited by edinburgher

I'm glad you came to visit, Edinburgher! We live a bit north of Toronto. From Toronto to the outlying areas there is lots to see and do, some beautiful drives outside of the city too. Alvor looks really nice, still researching but I think it looks great!

• Thanks 1

Online info had indicated a possible minibus shuttle from the port to the very large waterfront square where we caught the bus, but none was to be found. Perhaps you will be luckier than us, but we had to walk both ways.  (Guesstimate) was a good mile, perhaps even a little over, between  1 and 1/2?

We walked to the massive waterfront square where I had read the buses were to be found (NOT the bus station.) It was huge with cafes and restuarants all around, and I think also a fountain. You would definitely not miss it as it is the first big thing you would arrive at.  We could not find the bus stop, but were directed to a side streeet only a few feet away, and instructed to wait until we saw the bus turn into the street then signal the driver.  That was concerning, but a local lady joined us a minute or two later and sure enough, when the bus appeared and the driver was signaled, it stopped.  I think we paid on the bus.  At Alvor CENTRO (the entrance to the old village) the stop was literally a few feet away from the village streets.  It was a sort of transport hub at a roundabout as there were taxis waiting there too. The return was from the same stop, but there were many people waiting as that stop also served buses to other towns along the coast so be sure to boardt the correct bus.

I had a quick look for you, and that #13 bus appears to run only on weekdays, so if you are porting at a weekend, you would need to find the alternative bus # and its start and end points. There is a very useful Algarve bus info website which has the info on it.  Search for algarvebus info. Quite honestly, if a taxi is not overly expensive (try Rome 2 Rio website for price estimate) I would opt for that as it would be so much easier and the distance isn't that far.  Perhaps you could find a couple of other pax to share with you?

Whatever, we loved our visit to Alvo rand ithought is worth doing.

Edited by edinburgher

Unfortunately we had no rental car, so apart from a side trip to Niagara we were restricted to the city, although we did cross over to an island.  Very much enjoyed the Royal Ontario Museum and the other sights we visited.

Hated the jetlag as there is quite a time difference.

• 3 months later...

Would just like to amend the transpiort option to Alvor which I mentioned above.

Instead of the public bus which was a long walk from the poirt, with the distance to Alvor so short I would instead recommend taking a taxi.

The bus route from Portimao centre to Alvor initially ran back towards the port so we need not have walked as far into the centre as we did.  Had we known that we would have taken a taxi to Alvor.

• 1 month later...

I'm on Oceania next spring and going to Portimao.  So thanks for the information presented so far.  I haven't had a chance to research the city yet.  But I see that Oceania might offer excursions to Portimao Old Town, or panoramic tour of Algarve (Silves etc.), or Sagres and Lagos, or traditional villages of Alvor & Feragudo, or Lagos & Carvoiera, or Cape St. Vincent/Sagres/Lagos. Hopefully I can figure out what I want to do and then I'll probably try to do whatever I do by bus or taxi if possible.  If not, then I'll pick an excursion.   I don't mind ship excursions, but I also love doing things independently, and usually that ends up working out well while saving me money.

Cleobella, you aren't on Oceania, are you?  I'm starting to look for info on Porto (Leixoes) and Portimao, and some ports in Spain.  I cruise in April.

Other posters, thanks for the information!  I copied it to look at later.

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea

excursions to Portimao Old Town, or panoramic tour of Algarve (Silves etc.), or Sagres and Lagos, or traditional villages of Alvor & Feragudo

I would still highly recommend a DIY trip to Alvor, such a prettyy little fishing village with many many restaurants for anyone wanting a leisurely lunch(especially fish) and the Alvor boardwalk is lovely on a warm day. The village is pretty, colourful and easily walkable, but asI amended above, I above, would recommend a short taxi ride as opposed to the public bus which was quite a walk from the dock to the stop to catch it.

Hey, Over the Sea, we are not sailing with Oceania. We were going to Alvor as recommended by Edinburgher (who always has excellent advice) but then decided to do a short Winery Tour with Algarve Wine Tours. They have various options. We can provide some feedback once we get back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/2/2022 at 6:01 PM, cleobella said:

Hey, Over the Sea, we are not sailing with Oceania. We were going to Alvor as recommended by Edinburgher (who always has excellent advice) but then decided to do a short Winery Tour with Algarve Wine Tours. They have various options. We can provide some feedback once we get back.

Hello.  I'm hoping that cleobella sees this, and if so, could shed any light on any of the following things: 

Would you happen to know how easy it is to walk from where the ship berths to be able to catch a public bus?  (O's smaller ships, plus Silverseas ships and World Traveler, recently berthed at the same container/cruise dock, so at least I don't think I need to worry about alternate berths). But it's difficult to tell where I might need to go to get on a bus, and I haven't been able to determine where a shuttle, if any, drops visitors.

Do you know if your ship or the port offered a shuttle, and to where?

Did you see any taxis near the berth?

Thanks. 

Hi Over the Sea,

We were tendered in and picked up by at the cruise terminal by a driver for the Winery Tour. So, I'm not too sure where the bus stop is, sorry. There are some folks like Edinburgher who might know, hopefully they can advise you.