HAL vs NCL

esimon

Hi @esimon!

We're partial to HAL and X for the most part, but have dabbled in other lines. Sailed on Norwegian Breakaway (near sister to Encore) once, since departure was local and convenient.

I thought the crew was wonderful and the passenger mix made for fun, energetic events, but I didn't feel the food was up to the HAL standard, and frankly, I thought the ship was pitiful. Crowded and with very poor outdoor spaces. A shockingly small pool area for such a big ship. One big complaint was the lack of a Crow's Nest style lounge with sea views, since that space was occupied by The Haven. We had a Haven stateroom and access to the area, but even that is all inward-facing, surrounded by accommodations. There were practically no outward-facing spaces on board, despite the sort of boardwalk that runs around deck 8.

If you choose Encore, you will have a forward-facing observation lounge, which would help, but I don't know if that would be enough for me to try this class of ship again.

More subjectively, I didn't find NCL had the grown-up, relaxed, upscale feel I've come to expect from HAL. More of a party boat experience, but that might vary on longer itineraries or different times of year (ours was a 7-day out of NYC over New Year's).

Hope this helps! Happy to answer any questions.

NCL gave me a free cruise 7 nights in the Caribbean included perks veranda cabin, Drink package, Gratuities, 4 Dinners free in the specialty resturants plus some other smaller items, after 7 days I disembarked from the ship and was for the only time in my life angry about a cruise.  Their service is substandard at best.

• Thanks 1

I've done the Joy to Alaska, Bliss to Mexico, and Getaway in the Baltics, and have 100 HAL days. The advantages of NCL--an amazing observation deck that has huge front windows, regular windows along the side, small buffet areas, and really beautiful furniture. Secondly, they have a good comedy club (book shows right away), real Broadway shows, and then a second variety show that are top-notch, and other music is varied and interesting, unlike the pre-programmed corporate HAL music and theater shows (I've had breakfast on NCL ships sitting next to Ringo, Elvis, Johnny Cash, and Jerry Lee Lewis). Their oceanfront outside promenade doesn't go all the way around, and it's higher than a HAL promenade, but it has outdoor seating for bars and restaurants and glass sides, and is great for watching sunsets and whales. There are multiple free restaurants, and they have screens showing peak times and availability, and no formal nights or set times. They have a pub that has a good menu and is good for a quick bite. The buffet has an impressive Indian food selection, as well as Asian noodles, and even a stash of gummi bears next to the scoop ice cream--other buffet delights were peanut brittle and a crab leg feast in Alaska. As a Beatles fan, the Cavern Club is a highlight (get there very early for a seat), and they do a late-Beatles show in the main theater. A more diverse crew than HAL, both in terms of nationality and gender in the dining rooms and elsewhere. A more diverse passenger makeup. A mini golf course behind the race track. Their CruiseNext certificates are a much better value than other future cruise deposits. Showers with sliding doors, without hated HAL shower curtains or slippery tubs. Studio cabins with their own lounge, and really good sailaway fares that make things affordable for solo cruisers like me. Despite the passenger sizes, I never felt really crowded or claustrophobic, even for lines getting on and off the ship, although as on most big ships, first-day customer service desk lines were horrendous. 

Yes - here - I have sailed with both cruise companies several times - also during different years (and again and again). In my opinion, NCL had initiated a renewal of the cruise business with the introduction of "Freestyle Cruising", which was instrumental in the success of cruises for a wider group of guest. At that time, NCL also installed a high-quality product. In the meantime, NCL is very focused on additional business on board and has greatly reduced the services that are included in a regular booking. They want to have customers in haven cabins, customers should book beverage packages or paid entertainments. Included is only a sad framework, which can also be seen in the daily program (almost only shopping events). Also the offer in the included restaurants has become worse - included are clearly only things with cheaper ingredients.

Holland America is more traditionally positioned, you clearly notice that the budget per guest and day for food is higher. The cabins are of higher quality (the material of the furniture is better, you see less wear and tear on older ships than on NCL). The service concept is higher than on NCL. Upsell offers are less aggressive than at NCL (Holland America also wants to make money - no doubt). Entertainment on board is high quality, but a bit "quieter" - no water slide, no roller coaster, ice skating rink, roller skating rink. The pricing of Holland America's voyages is also not so family friendly - there are very few reduced children's prices - so there are fewer families on board. However, there is very good child care on board.

But thats just my opinion

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3