Shore excursions

thera

Hi all, I'm looking to book some shore excursions for a cruise this fall to Greece and Turkey.  I may use a ship excursion or two (Norwegian Jade) since there is a $50 discount, but some ports don't have exactly what I'm looking for.  It would just be me & my husband so I didn't want to do something insanely expensive at each port.  And our roll call currently does not have any activity where we could share with others.  

I discovered Venture Ashore (https://www.ventureashore.com/) has anyone had experience with them?  What about Project Expedition (https://www.projectexpedition.com/)? 

Thanks!

Both are booking agencies, not tour operators,

Venture Ashore appears to be a name-change of cruisingexcursions.

If you dig deeper you'll find other agencies.

With a bit of research you can usually figure the tour operator involved & book direct. Yes, booking direct will save you a few bucks - but more importantly you can ask for details that you're not sure of - the booking agents don't know any more than what's on their website - and you'll be a direct customer and potentially an ambassador for the operator ("we had a great time with Jamal's Tours" rather than "with Venture Ashore". Some tour operators don't need payment with booking, all booking agencies do.

The only advantage of booking with an agency is that up-front payments are likely to be more secure, and refunds much more likely to be honoured if it all goes belly-up - its easier to get a refund from an international organisation with a reputation to defend and who will simply deduct it from their payments to the operator, than from a tour operator you know nothing about on the other side of the world.

If you do use a booking agency, be sure to use one which only deals with cruisers.

But better to research & book with local tour operators. These Ports of Call forums are a good place to start.

And if you list your ports you'll get suggestions  

JB 🙂

• Like 1

12 hours ago, thera said:

Hi all, I'm looking to book some shore excursions for a cruise this fall to Greece and Turkey.  I may use a ship excursion or two (Norwegian Jade) since there is a $50 discount, but some ports don't have exactly what I'm looking for.  It would just be me & my husband so I didn't want to do something insanely expensive at each port.  And our roll call currently does not have any activity where we could share with others.  

I discovered Venture Ashore (https://www.ventureashore.com/) has anyone had experience with them?  What about Project Expedition (https://www.projectexpedition.com/)? 

Thanks!

Also, in Greece, I wouldn't be afraid to do your own, to a certain extent.  For example, when we went to Crete (Heraklion), we knew we wanted to go to Knossos.  So we got a Hop On/Hop Off bus, rode out there, paid admission, and then picked up the bus to go explore museums we wanted to see on the way back.  This was cheaper than doing an excursion and we were able to set our own pace.  I feel like that's more possible in Greece than other places we have cruised (we didn't do Turkey due to Covid, so not as sure about that).  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jas283a said:

(we didn't do Turkey due to Covid, so not as sure about that).  

With a bit of research,  Istanbul & Canakkale & Alanya are all easy DIY 

Ephesus from Kusadasi needs a guide for it to make any sense - either in a pre-booked tour (the best option), or negotiate a taxi & pick up a guide when you get to the entrance. From Izmir it needs a pre-booked tour.

JB 🙂

• Like 2

Hi John Bull,

Im glad you survived the pandemic- it’s good to see you giving your excellent advice. You have helped me several times and I appreciate it.

I am doing a 7 day Med with family that includes 3 eighteen year of girls. Instead of tours on Mykonos and Crete (Heraklion) I would like for them to have a beach day. Is the best bet to just get a taxi, or should I book a car?

Hope you can help, but thanks for all your past advice anyway.

Tillys mom

6 hours ago, tillys mom said:

Hi John Bull,

Im glad you survived the pandemic- it’s good to see you giving your excellent advice. You have helped me several times and I appreciate it.

I am doing a 7 day Med with family that includes 3 eighteen year of girls. Instead of tours on Mykonos and Crete (Heraklion) I would like for them to have a beach day. Is the best bet to just get a taxi, or should I book a car?

Hope you can help, but thanks for all your past advice anyway.

Tillys mom

Hi again,

The bit of beach by Mykonos harbour is small, scruffy, muddy - no facilities & nobody uses it.

Best beach is Paradise ( Psarou) beach, about 4 miles from cruise berths or 3 miles from Mykonos town / harbour.

Town & harbour are very attractive harbour lined with bars & cafes (and Petros the pelican wanders the waterfront), with immaculate little lanes behind and the iconic row of windmills behind them. Well worth part of your day, but for a beach get a taxi to Paradise beach.

Sorry, can't help with Heraklion - haven't been to that end of Crete

JB 🙂