Should Princess consider changing the way they calulate Captains Circle Status?

SoCalCruiser

It appears if you always book extended cruises (10-22 days) you are being penalized and would have spent between 50-110 days at sea just to move to the next level of "Platinum" from "Gold".

But if you only booked five 7 days cruises, you would only need to spend 35 days at sea to be acknowledged as a "worthy and allowed to be moved" to the next elite level with Princess.

As this will be my third extended cruise with Princess, I wonder how much longer I will consider Princess "loyal and appreciative of my business". Anyone else feeling the same way?

Only one of my Princess cruises has been less than seven days – most have been between 10 and 15 days. I would not mind if they changed the way they applied the Captain’s Circle tiers to days instead of number of cruises as long as those of us who have reached a certain level aren’t asked to give that up. While a number of my cruises have been of the seven day variety, I have been invited to the most traveled parties on two of my last three cruises – so I think I deserve my Elite status (not to mention that usually traveling single, I’m paying twice as much as others for the same number of days at sea).

I huffed and puffed about this for several years. We have taken cruises with Princess of up to 25 nights in length, but until our cruise next month we were still platinum members. We were often invited to the most traveled passenger luncheons and several times were 3rd or 4th most traveled on the entire ship, but still platinum while most at the luncheons were Elite. Most of our cruises with Princess have been lengthy cruises and I have to admit, it did get me a bit miffed that those with 15 cruises of 7 days OR LESS were obtaining Elite Status while we were booking the suites and mini suites for three and four week cruises and felt like we were not 'worthy' of the added perks involved.

But we finally made it to Elite and for the first time next month will reap the benefits of obtaining that status. It was a long time getting there, but we finally made it.

One note: If nothing else, I would like to see Princess 'at least' do as RCI has done. The cruises credited don't only count as one cruise when you book longer cruises or cruises in a suite. Our last cruise with RCI was 14 days in a full suite and we were credited with 3 cruises for that sailing. That seemed a lot more fair to me.

I agree with Lynda and Brian. Another thing to consider is that in a lot of cases the "cost per day" for cruises of 7-10 days exceeds that of longer cruises. Mathematically that can calculate out so that those who have taken ten 7 day cruises (70 days) have provided Princess with far more revenue that someone who has taken three 22 day cruises (66 days).

Yes. I would like to see them consider the number of days. I'd also like them to count the days on the land tours.

I would deffinately like to see them count by days rather than cruises. This is a sore subject with me too! We have done land tours and longer cruises and would like the advantage to getting from Platinum to Elite.

Seven days could equall one credit. Then instead of going by 2-5/6-15 cruises etc. you could just go by 2-5/6-15 credits. This would keep the passengers who do primarily one week cruises happy and also make those who are taking longer cruises 15+ days happy. Those who take shorter repositioning cruises might not like this however it is impossible to make everyone happy. (that's assuming short repositioning cruises count towards the captains circle, i'm not sure on that).

Hi everyone,

I'm fine with the way that Princess calculates it's CC status.

But here's a question: Do you think that land packages should be counted towards your CC status?

Not the pre-cruise hotel stay - but Cruisetours: 4 to 7 day land portion in Alaska, the Ring of Kerry, Under the Tuscan Sun or the overland in China?

Any thoughts?

We are already Elite, so have no axe to grind - but I think any system is going to make some people unhappy.

How would you grandfather in those already at a level?

Like several other posters, we have some cruises that were 25+ nights, and several that were just 2 or 3 night coastals. I agree that some sort of weighting might be fairer.

Tried this a while back and didn't get anywhere.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=266954

Check it out. Happy Cruising!

I propose the following suggested change to the Captain’s Circle Levels. What is your opinion on this change?

1. Instead of the number of cruises why not the number of days? The reason I choose the number of days is that for the Most Traveled cruisers Luncheon and Awards, Princess uses Number of Days not Number of Cruises. That would reduce the confusion.

2. Readjust the Levels as follows:

Gold - 2nd cruise regardless of the number of days.

Platinum – 50 days. Now it is the 6th Cruise. If you use a 7 day cruise as a norm, that would equate to 42 days. So, let’s round it off to 50 days.

Elite – 100 days. Now it is 16th Cruise. If you use a 7 day cruise as a norm, that would equate to 112 days. So, let’s round it off to 100.

Elite Plus – a New Level – 300 days.

This would allow most of the cruisers to remain at their current level until they reached the new day criteria. I know that some people will not agree because they may already have obtained a certain level and based on new criteria, loose that level. Not so, Grandfather those at their current level.

2. Readjust the Levels as follows:

Gold - 2nd cruise regardless of the number of days.

Platinum – 50 days. Now it is the 6th Cruise. If you use a 7 day cruise as a norm, that would equate to 42 days. So, let’s round it off to 50 days.

Elite – 100 days. Now it is 16th Cruise. If you use a 7 day cruise as a norm, that would equate to 112 days. So, let’s round it off to 100.

Elite Plus – a New Level – 300 days.

I like this...we'll have 107 days after 7 cruises. But, really, except for the free laundry and dry cleaning, I'm not sure there is much to gain after reaching Platinum (where the free internet is VERY valuable to us). We don't really drink, so the one time bar set up doesn't mean much (we are Diamond on RCCL and can get free drinks every evening on most of their ships, and we STILL cruise Princess a lot). I've heard the turnaround for laundry and dry cleaning is 2-3 days...not sure I want to be filling out those little forms every day to send it off when there is a washer and dryer right down the hall. Can't remember the last time I had a pair of shoes shined. But I WOULD appreciate the ironing part of the laundry service...I would no longer look like a ragmuffin.

If it means that much to you, just book seven day cruises until you reach elite status......we cruise because we love it......we cruise Princess because they are the best....why the big debate? Are you looking for another free meal or someone to do your laundry?:D

If it means that much to you, just book seven day cruises until you reach elite status......we cruise because we love it......we cruise Princess because they are the best....why the big debate? Are you looking for another free meal or someone to do your laundry?:D

I am sure many people cruise because they love, too.

'Why the big debate?'

I think this board is all about debates such as: formal dress, traditional vs Alternate Dining, food, etc.

'Are you looking for another free meal or someone to do your laundry?'

Are you saying you would not accept the freebees?

Oh my, you seem pretty sharp today. Happy Cruising!

We attained Platinum status by taking cruises of 7 days or less, all coastal repositioning cruises, so we obviously don't have a problem with the existing program. I think the way RCI does it is fairer. though - you get a credit for any cruise, but book a junior suite or higher and you get two, book a cruise over 12 nights (including a cruisetour of, say, 10 nights cruising & 2 nights touring) and get two, three max per cruise.

Also RCI doesn't even offer really long cruises - I'm not sure that they have anything over 18 nights, and those are just their repositioning cruises. So I think that Princess, to make it "apple to apples," would need to add another credit for cruises/tours over xx nights.

But as 14A04 said, no program will make everybody happy.

I like this...we'll have 107 days after 7 cruises. But, really, except for the free laundry and dry cleaning, I'm not sure there is much to gain after reaching Platinum (where the free internet is VERY valuable to us). We don't really drink, so the one time bar set up doesn't mean much (we are Diamond on RCCL and can get free drinks every evening on most of their ships, and we STILL cruise Princess a lot). I've heard the turnaround for laundry and dry cleaning is 2-3 days...not sure I want to be filling out those little forms every day to send it off when there is a washer and dryer right down the hall. Can't remember the last time I had a pair of shoes shined. But I WOULD appreciate the ironing part of the laundry service...I would no longer look like a ragmuffin.

Everyone has their own opinions, but personally I love the Elite perks. When we send our laundry out by 9 AM, we have it back before 5 PM on the same day. Never have we had to wait 2-3 days. It's also nice to be able to take home almost all clean clothes. This perk alone is worth the Elite status. I also use the pressing perk. Especially for formal nights. We also enjoy the free bar set-up and free appetizers on formal nights. For those who don't drink alcohol, all bar items can be exchanged for bottled water, cans of pop or sparkling water. Could we live without the extra perks--absolutely! Are we glad we have them--absolutely!:D

I would have no problem with the different degrees of status going by the number of days. That does make a lot of sense.

I don't think how much you pay should be a consideration for a couple of reasons. One is that the price of a cruise changes constantly. Say I paid for a cruise on a non peak week and got a great deal but someone else booked the cruise during a peak week. They will more then likely have paid much more then me but they will have had the same cabin same itinerary and same options that I had. Why should they get more perks because they picked a week that cost more money. Perhaps neither of us had a choice of when we could cruise, or perhaps I just did better research and found a better price.

If you are talking about paying more for because you got a suite and I did not, that also is your choice and you would get a few perks with a suite that I may not get for a lesser category room expecially an inside room. We both would have the same opportunity for tours and shows as well as normal ship amenities so I don't believe it should be of any effect on Gold, Platinum or Elite status.

If you are talking about how much you spend while onboard I don't believe I should get less status because I may not be a person who drinks or who buys things in the gift shop. My not drinking may be because I am an AA member or it affects my health so I should not be punished because I do not drink. I may not want a bunch of things from the shops so I should not be punished for that either.

In other words to me the number of days sailed makes more sense and to be a little more fair. Lets face it that the perks given by Princess can be nice but there really are not any great perks given.

I do indeed feel it would be nicer if Princess at least gave one an extra credit or two for the longer 20+ day cruises

Its easy to say just do lots of repositioning 3 day cruises etc but try spending 12 hours on a plane each way just to do them!!!

The Australians definitely have an axe to grind since they get no perks at all and if Princess cruisers sail P and O their Princess perks are not recognised either

Like others we are Elite on X after 10 cruises but X do not offer the itineries that Princess do and they sure do not offer free internet access which we value greatly on Princess since we are so often far from home and grandchildren

As for the suggestion of those who spend most on board being given credits thats crazy since many people are not gamblers and plenty of people for health reasons do not drink alchohol

But as other have said you will never please everyone but i will sure be very grateful for the laundry and dry cleaning perks when we do reach Elite status

Archived