High tea on 4 day Bahamas itinerary?

kj_connections

Will there be high tea on a 4-day Bahamas itinerary?  I heard they are usually on a sea day, but not sure if it is offered on a 4-day itinerary.  This will be Carnival Freedom Sept 22-26, 2022 (port canaveral, nassau, princess cays, at sea, port canaveral).  Thanks

Carnival has to my knowledge never served high tea.

They serve afternoon tea but only on 7+ day sailings now - no idea when/if it will come back for all voyages. Probably it won't sadly. And eventually it'll be something that's only offered on the "Journeys" throwback cruises.

• Like 1

What Is a High Tea?

The origins of afternoon tea show clearly it was the preserve of the rich in the 19th century. For workers in the newly industrialized Britain, tea time had to wait until after work. By that hour, tea was generally served with heartier dishes which were substantially more than just tea and cakes. Workers needed sustenance after a day of hard labor, so the after-work meal was more often hot and filling and accompanied by a pot of good, strong tea to revive flagging spirits.

Today, the evening meal in working-class households is still often called "tea" but as working patterns have changed yet again, many households now refer to the evening meal as supper. The addition of the word "high" to the phrase "high tea" is believed to differentiate between the afternoon tea that is traditionally served on low, comfortable, parlor chairs or relaxing in the garden and the worker’s after-work high tea that is served at the table and seated on high back dining chairs.

Source: The Spruce Eats

Carnival serves Afternoon Tea, not High Tea.

John Heald has said Afternoon Tea for now is limited to 7 day cruises or longer. When labor shortages are gone Carnival expects to return Afternoon Tea to all cruises with sea days.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2022 at 7:02 PM, BlerkOne said:

I think tea was discontinued on cruises less than 7 days because of staffing issues.

Yes, they temporarily discontinued High Tea for cruises less than 7 days. John Heald made the announcement recently and said it was because of staffing issues. I think that they bring it back for shorter cruises once they have enough staff.

3 hours ago, sanmarcosman said:

What Is a High Tea?

The origins of afternoon tea show clearly it was the preserve of the rich in the 19th century. For workers in the newly industrialized Britain, tea time had to wait until after work. By that hour, tea was generally served with heartier dishes which were substantially more than just tea and cakes. Workers needed sustenance after a day of hard labor, so the after-work meal was more often hot and filling and accompanied by a pot of good, strong tea to revive flagging spirits.

Today, the evening meal in working-class households is still often called "tea" but as working patterns have changed yet again, many households now refer to the evening meal as supper. The addition of the word "high" to the phrase "high tea" is believed to differentiate between the afternoon tea that is traditionally served on low, comfortable, parlor chairs or relaxing in the garden and the worker’s after-work high tea that is served at the table and seated on high back dining chairs.

Source: The Spruce Eats

Carnival serves Afternoon Tea, not High Tea.

John Heald has said Afternoon Tea for now is limited to 7 day cruises or longer. When labor shortages are gone Carnival expects to return Afternoon Tea to all cruises with sea days.

Stopping it because of staffing issues on shorter cruises makes no sense to me. How can you have any different staffing issues on shorter cruises than you do longer ones? Just like no lobster dinner for 5 or less days. It's clearly something else, monetary no doubt. Shorter cruises get shortchanged, they should just be honest about it. Even though the per day cruise rate is the same or more than longer cruises.....My guess is because for shorter cruises, they have to have those food items served more often than on a 7 or more day. ie: serving lobster once every 4 days vs once every 7 days. Same with the tea.....It's the money not the staffing.

31 minutes ago, bingo3 said:

Stopping it because of staffing issues on shorter cruises makes no sense to me. How can you have any different staffing issues on shorter cruises than you do longer ones? Just like no lobster dinner for 5 or less days. It's clearly something else, monetary no doubt. Shorter cruises get shortchanged, they should just be honest about it. Even though the per day cruise rate is the same or more than longer cruises.....My guess is because for shorter cruises, they have to have those food items served more often than on a 7 or more day. ie: serving lobster once every 4 days vs once every 7 days. Same with the tea.....It's the money not the staffing.

Tea time is/was normally every sea day. Long or short cruises.

9 hours ago, bingo3 said:

This.....

18 hours ago, sanmarcosman said:

Carnival has never served high tea, also known as builder's tea, please see post just above.

"Afternoon Tea" then. I think the other posters knew that I was talking about the organized Tea Time on Carnival ships.

• Like 1