Confused about pre boarding Covid test

margbem

We are due to board the Quest in the 28th May in Ravenna. We just received an email from Seabourn stating that we need a “medically observed Antigen or PCR test” taken within three days of boarding. I understood that we would be tested at the pier and that would be the test that would determine whether we could board or not.

We will be in Italy for six days before we board so if we do need a test has anyone any information on how we could get said test? We are fully vaccinated and boostered.

Help!!

1 hour ago, toseaornottosea said:

It is most likely the hotel you stay in pre cruise can advise you where to get tested and/or can arrange for you to get tested at the hotel.  Email them and ask. 

Thanks! We are staying in an Airbnb so that option isn’t available to us. I can ask the host to advise us.

The policy just changed this week, the timeframe is longer and they're no longer doing complimentary testing at the pier (except in Greece where the rules are still test within 1 day).

From https://www.seabourn.com/en_US/health-safety/europe-travel-requirements.html

Guests ages two and above will require a medically observed, negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) result taken within three days of cruise embarkation for all European cruises unless embarking in Greece.  All cruises embarking in Greece require a medically observed, negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) result taken within one day** of cruise embarkation.

If a guest brings proof of testing without results to the pier, Seabourn will test them at no charge. Guests who arrive without a negative test result will experience additional fees, a delayed embarkation and risk denied boarding and subject to quarantine should a positive result be returned. 

**For guests embarking in Athens, Greece, we understand that a one-day medically observed COVID-19 test may not be possible based on the timing of your arrival to Athens.  For your convenience, we are currently offering complimentary antigen testing at the terminal. However, Seabourn strongly recommends guests take a medically observed viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) prior to leaving home to avoid queues and travel disruptions associated with a possible positive result on the day of embarkation.

3 hours ago, likeadisguise said:

The policy just changed this week, the timeframe is longer and they're no longer doing complimentary testing at the pier (except in Greece where the rules are still test within 1 day).

From https://www.seabourn.com/en_US/health-safety/europe-travel-requirements.html

Guests ages two and above will require a medically observed, negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) result taken within three days of cruise embarkation for all European cruises unless embarking in Greece.  All cruises embarking in Greece require a medically observed, negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) result taken within one day** of cruise embarkation.

If a guest brings proof of testing without results to the pier, Seabourn will test them at no charge. Guests who arrive without a negative test result will experience additional fees, a delayed embarkation and risk denied boarding and subject to quarantine should a positive result be returned. 

**For guests embarking in Athens, Greece, we understand that a one-day medically observed COVID-19 test may not be possible based on the timing of your arrival to Athens.  For your convenience, we are currently offering complimentary antigen testing at the terminal. However, Seabourn strongly recommends guests take a medically observed viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) prior to leaving home to avoid queues and travel disruptions associated with a possible positive result on the day of embarkation.

This is fantastic news and a relief as we can now self test prior to departing the US. No angst about testing positive at the port. 

We are going to use the Emed proctored tests if possible. 

16 hours ago, likeadisguise said:

This doesn't make sense?? The first 2 sentences conflict. If you show up and prove you have been tested but don't have the results they will test you free? Then it says you need to turn up with a negative test result or you will incur charges? This suggests to me that testing will still be done on the pier but it is not clear.

We had the same poor communication earlier this year when we went on Encore in March. Then they told us we would have to pay $100 for a test at the pier if we didn't have one done before departure. When this was challenged by a few of us it was quickly withdrawn and Seabourn said we only needed to comply with the requirements of the country of boarding. If this is a new Seabourn requirement implemented after booking then Seabourn should pay.

On a related subject it is also not clear what we are expected to do with Passenger Locator Forms for the trip. Italy have now dropped the requirement but not sure about the other countries we visit. Looks like Slovenia still require it to be completed within 24hours of arriving so that will keep us all amused on our first day on board.

Why can't Seabourn advise us clearly and concisely what we are required to do instead of the blanket statement that we must be familiar with the requirements of each country?

I will be raising this with my TA this week for clarification

• Haha 1

On 5/1/2022 at 4:48 AM, John117 said:

This doesn't make sense?? The first 2 sentences conflict. If you show up and prove you have been tested but don't have the results they will test you free? Then it says you need to turn up with a negative test result or you will incur charges?

@John117This is the way I read it: if you go through the required steps to get tested in the specified time period but for some reason don't have your results in time — such as a PCR test which might take 2 or more days to get results — they will test you for free to try to get you onboard. But if you haven't made the effort to get tested in advance, then they will test you but charge you.

I think the goal here is that they don't want a full ship-load of passengers deciding to just show up at the pier and get tested there. They will have some limited pier side testing capability, but not for hundreds and hundreds of passengers.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, cruiseej said:

I think the goal here is that they don't want a full ship-load of passengers deciding to just show up at the pier and get tested there. They will have some limited pier side testing capability, but not for hundreds and hundreds of passengers.

Although that's what they did when we went on a SB cruise in February?  Everyone was tested pierside.

Having had Covid and seeing it spread amongst a group of us... the positive test really does not show when you first have it.  My husband felt poorly, he isolated, but for three days tests showed negative....then the next day a big red line!  

One positive from having had it.... we have done 4-weekly blood tests for the UK Office of National Statistics for 18 months now.  Since experiencing Covid, we now have 'antibodies at a higher level'.  That's the first time we've seen that on our results.  

Good luck everyone with getting the tests you need for your forthcoming cruises 😊

We have discovered that in Italy (can’t speak for the rest of Europe, but others will know), we can have a test in a pharmacy, administered by the pharmacy, for €22. Our Airbnb host has been kindness itself finding out for us and she has reserved a slot for us the day before we board.

My husband has tested positive this morning here at home after a trip to Amsterdam last week. We have 25 days before we board the Quest in Ravenna.

10 hours ago, cruiseej said:

@John117This is the way I read it: if you go through the required steps to get tested in the specified time period but for some reason don't have your results in time — such as a PCR test which might take 2 or more days to get results — they will test you for free to try to get you onboard. But if you haven't made the effort to get tested in advance, then they will test you but charge you.

In my opinion a test without a result is the same as no test. Making the effort does nothing for the passengers and crew health and safety. Our Encore cruise on 1st March had 450 passengers and they were all tested at the pier with no problem. It was very well organised and we were through in about 20 mins.

The second sentence of that paragraph says if you show without a negative result you will incur costs and this is what it is all about. Seabourn want to shift the testing costs and any quarantine and repatriation costs onto the passengers and avoid them having to pay them.

I have written to our TA with a list of questions for clarification before I purchase non refundable medically observed tests and make the 50 mile round trip to have them done. Whatever Seabourn decide I will be testing at home for each of the 3 days prior to departure anyway. I don't want to arrive in Italy and have to quarantine.

6 minutes ago, margbem said:

My husband has tested positive this morning here at home after a trip to Amsterdam last week. We have 25 days before we board the Quest in Ravenna.

I hope your husband and yourself if you test positive, have a mild or asymptomatic case. 

I am not sure if you know but I have heard something about a certificate of recovery as being available if there is a problem with still testing positive before you leave. Though at that point transmission to others is not a problem.

2 minutes ago, frantic36 said:

I hope your husband and yourself if you test positive, have a mild or asymptomatic case. 

I am not sure if you know but I have heard something about a certificate of recovery as being available if there is a problem with still testing positive before you leave. Though at that point transmission to others is not a problem.

Thanks Frantic. I am going to research the recovery certificate today. If I am also going to get it I hope it’s this week!

16 minutes ago, margbem said:

Thanks Frantic. I am going to research the recovery certificate today. If I am also going to get it I hope it’s this week!

🤞Hopefully you won't get it as I do know of couples where one tested positive but the other stayed negative.

59 minutes ago, frantic36 said:

🤞Hopefully you won't get it as I do know of couples where one tested positive but the other stayed negative.

I also know that.  I know a family of 4, and three had it almost simultaneously.  The 4th was negative and really couldn't isolate away from them all.  He didn't get it, despite mixing with 3 who had it.

@margbem  Good luck.  It's so stressful all of this.  

16 hours ago, John117 said:

In my opinion a test without a result is the same as no test. Making the effort does nothing for the passengers and crew health and safety.

Of course. No one would get a test intentionally trying not to have the result. Yet sometimes stuff happens, and a promised result doesn't arrive in time as one is traveling. So if you;'re in the position of having paid for and having had a test but not received your results, Seabourn is simply giving you a break by not charging you to take a new test. 

Our Encore cruise on 1st March had 450 passengers and they were all tested at the pier with no problem. It was very well organised and we were through in about 20 mins.

Indeed, but Seabourn, Silversea and other cruise lines are moving to change that paradigm by not making testing everyone pier side part of the cruise. 

The second sentence of that paragraph says if you show without a negative result you will incur costs and this is what it is all about. Seabourn want to shift the testing costs and any quarantine and repatriation costs onto the passengers and avoid them having to pay them.

Yes indeed. And isn't this logical when you think about it? It's been costing the cruise lines a fortune to pay local authorities to set up and conduct pier side testing for every passenger, and when someone tests positive at the pier, to absorb all the costs of paying for their hotel stays and flying them home — plus giving them a full cruise credit to boot. I can understand why they undertook this in order to restart cruising and build customer confidence, but I can also understand it's just not sustainable to be losing so much money paying for all these expenses. Testing at the pier is expensive, but paying for as hotel for 7-10 days and short-term air flights is a huge expense. So the new approach aims to get people to test before leaving home (in most cases), so that if someone tests positive before leaving, the cruise line isn't on the hook for thousands of dollars of hotel and airline expenses. You've stated that you're already planning to do such pre-departure testing, but many passengers wouldn't unless mandated by countries for entry or cruise lines for boarding. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

Of course. No one would get a test intentionally trying not to have the result. Yet sometimes stuff happens, and a promised result doesn't arrive in time as one is traveling. So if you;'re in the position of having paid for and having had a test but not received your results, Seabourn is simply giving you a break by not charging you to take a new test. 

Indeed, but Seabourn, Silversea and other cruise lines are moving to change that paradigm by not making testing everyone pier side part of the cruise. 

Yes indeed. And isn't this logical when you think about it? It's been costing the cruise lines a fortune to pay local authorities to set up and conduct pier side testing for every passenger, and when someone tests positive at the pier, to absorb all the costs of paying for their hotel stays and flying them home — plus giving them a full cruise credit to boot. I can understand why they undertook this in order to restart cruising and build customer confidence, but I can also understand it's just not sustainable to be losing so much money paying for all these expenses. Testing at the pier is expensive, but paying for as hotel for 7-10 days and short-term air flights is a huge expense. So the new approach aims to get people to test before leaving home (in most cases), so that if someone tests positive before leaving, the cruise line isn't on the hook for thousands of dollars of hotel and airline expenses. You've stated that you're already planning to do such pre-departure testing, but many passengers wouldn't unless mandated by countries for entry or cruise lines for boarding. 

Crystal never paid for or helped any positive pierside testing passengers. I was cool with that as the risk should be on the passenger not on the line. This is because (1) the cost ends up in passenger fares and (2) the incentive should be on the passenger to avoid catching or transmitting the virus. One idea that made sense to me was that each one of us can choose what level of insurance we want to purchase. The result is that I don't end up responsible financially (by paying higher fares) for other passengers having carelessness or bad luck in getting a positive test.

We are booked on the Sojourn November 29th and will be flying in from New Zealand, based on what my TA is saying is that International Travelers will be tested at the Pier in Miami. Is this still the case at this stage ?