HELP!!BELIZE SNORKELING!!!

StaceyM

I know this is not supposed to be on this board, however, no one is ever on the Belize board so your expertise would be greatly appreciated! OUr group needs help deciding which snorkeling excursion to take in Belize. We are debating the Coral Breeze Shark/Ray alley excursion or one offered by Carnival. Our biggest fear with the Coral Breezes one is the tender situation. We will be on the Elation and have 23 people in our group, so mixing in with a Carnival group might not work. Our other issue is that we have a couple of kids that are 6 years old and don't know if Carnival will allow them to snorkel. We need to make a decision soon so THANKS for your help!!

My husband (39), father (60) and daughter (16) two years ago went on the Carnival snorkling excursion that was a shark/ray tour. They left the ship and were taken by several speed boats out into the ocean...my husband said the boat trip itself was nearly 45 minutes one way. They came to the sand bar area, expecting to be dropped off in an area similar to the one at Grand Cayman where the water is only about 4 feet deep. Instead, this water was nearly 12 feet deep. My family are all very good swimmers. This was in July and the skies were clear, but that water was pretty rough. My husband said it was all they could do to keep their heads above water. And when they were snorkling, the currents were pretty strong. He had to fight to swim to keep close to the boats...just a few moments and he said he ended up many yards away from the area. He also said it is a miracle no one was left behind, because people were everywhere.

Unless there is some other snorkling excursion, I wouldn't recommend this one with 6 year olds. I would find out where they are snorkling and ask how deep is the water and how far out are you in the ocean you will be. That may make up your mind for you....My husband said that he swallowed so much sea water that the 45 minute boat ride back was horrible. And they only snorkled about 40 minutes before being told it was time to leave. Afterwards, they were boated to one of the Cayes...remember in Belize there aren't really places to snorkle off the beaches beacuse of the Mangrove that grows in the water. I hope this helps you get the proper information you need. I'm sure that there are really great places to snorkle in Belize, but this wasn't one of them.

June

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;06;13;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Until We Leave on the Conquest, AGAIN !!

Conquest 2003

Pride 2002

Inspiration 2001

Thanks for your reply June. You make some great points. Has anyone eles had similiar experiences? Who has been on the Coral Breezes excursion and have you taken your children?

we went with coral brezze last oct. we went skark /ray and to calker cay and it was great, you meet them at the pier and than they take you to skark/ray for about 45 minutes and than to the coral gardens, they have guides who go in the water with you and explain everything, they serve soft drinks for free and beer for a few dollars, they were great, they than take you to calker cay for about 4-5 hours, were they give you a great meal at the rainbow cafe right on the ocean, you have about 2 hours to walk around and then they will tender you back to the boat, they were great and there staff were alot of fun to be with, we would do there tour again

caribbean princess 10/16

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;10;16;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

ThANKS guMBY! wE ARE LEANING MORE AND MORE TOWARDS THE CORAL BREEZE EXCURSION. hAS ANYONE TAKEN THEIR KIDS ON THIS ONE? wE ARE SPECIFICALLY LOOKING AT THE SHARK/RAY ALLEY TRIP. hOW WAS CAYE CAULKER FOR THE KIDS?

Just returned fromBelize and our group 26 people used CorAl Breeze. Be warned this is not a trip for novice swimmers. It's a bumpy 45 minute ride to Cay Caulker. There you can order lunce if you choose that package. The first stop is a sand bar near the barrier reef. This area is full of Rays and Nurse sharks. They tell you the water is only 4' deep bur it really varies and the current is very strong, you need to have flippers on or you could not fight the current, not for young children, ther second stop is a tour of the corel by the reef again very rough water and current several of our folks got cut on the corel. Coral Breeze needs to put more people in the water when your snorkling to act as guides. But this is not a trip for smaller children. Geoffs Cay might be better since it is calmer water walk in from beach if you don't want to go on boat. But better trip is in Cozumel with Eagle Ray Divers and they accomadate children and offer a three reef experience. If you want more info feel free to contact.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008000&cdt=2004;10;10;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Any Day at Sea is A Good DAY

Days til Miracle Partae Pirates Cruise from Tampa

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;02;13;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

partaepiratessmallsmall.gif?mtbrand=AOL_US

I agree with others on this trip in general whether it be through Carnival or Coral Breeze.

My husband and I did the Coral Breeze tour in Feb. I would agree it's not for novice swimmers. I have been swimming all my life, my husband and I snorkle a lot and I felt out of control at times in the water. The water is fairly rough by the reef. I would not take a young child.

The reef also is not in good condition IMHO. There aren't very many fish or any life that I normally see on a reef. I was a bit disappointed.

If I go back to Belize (which I doubt) I would opt just to go to Caye Caulker and hang out. I understand the Split (didn't have time to walk there during our lunch stop) is nice for sunning, a little swimming and even snorkeling. Coral Breeze will take you there for $20pp.

2/2004 Carnival Legend/Exotic Western Carribean

4/2003 HAL Statendam/Sea of Cortez

9/2002 CarnivalHoliday/Western Caribbean

4/2001 Carnival/Western Caribbean

4/2000 Carnival Paradise/Southern Caribbean

5/1999 RCCL/Alaska

4/1998 NCL/Pacific Coastal

10/1997 Carnival/Mexican Riviera

11/1995 Carnival Holiday/4 day Baja Mexico

6/1992 RCCL Viking Serenade/4 day Baja Mexico

6/1981 Pacific Princess/Pacific Coastal

Archived