Questions - sailing from Barcelona to Italy June 2022

Morning all,

We usually cruise with P&O but decided this year to go with Royal Caribbean for a change but now have so many questions that I’m trying to answer before our sailing in June - Rhapsody of the Seas, June 13-20 from Barcelona to Rome, Italy.

I had a few questions that I can’t seem to find great answers to online, could anyone help me?

Firstly with regard to the dreaded “C” word I am triple vaccinated and my partner double vaccinated, as far as I can see that’s totally fine and we would just need to bring along our vaccination cards with us? I can’t see anything about having PCR or LF tests prior to boarding from these ports?

On P&O there’s usually one or two formal evenings and I take it it’s similar for RC cruises. If we didn’t fancy going down the formal route are there any restaurants open  like on P&O that would allow us in casual clothes? Also for the non formal evenings I take it we would still need a collared polo/shirt and jeans/chino’s and shoes?

With regard to drinks packages we keep trying to get shilled various “deals” we aren’t big alcohol drinkers, are there any complimentary soft drinks at all or are we best opting for the basic drinks package?

I guess finally, we’ve never done a fly cruise before as we’ve always departed from the UK so I take it that we go through departures at Barcelona and there’s transport waiting for us? Or do you need to arrange your own transport from the airport to the port?

sorry if these questions have been answered elsewhere - any other tips would be greatly welcomed.

thanks so much.

OK: yes, you will need to get tested no more than 2 days before boarding. At your own expense, and it must be medically supervised (either in person or by video call) with a certificate confirming as much.

Also, if your partner isn’t boosted and their second jab was more than 9 months before your cruise, that pre-departure test must be no more than 1 day before boarding and they’ll have to undergo additional testing on board (not free) in order to visit certain ports.

You can see the latest requirements by selecting Barcelona here: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/the-healthy-sail-center/getting-ready-to-cruise

Formal nights: yes there’ll be a couple but Royal’s (and its customers’) definition of formal is far looser than P&O’s or Cunard’s. Some passengers will go for the full works but in my experience they’ll be in the minority and most will either be in what the Americans call ‘business attire’ or smart casual. There’s always the Windjammer (buffet) if you prefer, with no dress code. On non-formal nights jeans and polos are more than adequate. In short, don’t worry about it. Wear whatever you feel comfortable in as long as it’s decent!

Drinks: there’s not much that’s free: really just ice water, juices, basic tea & coffee. For anything more - coke, nice coffee, smoothies etc you might be better off with a package.

Edited by gumshoe958

22 minutes ago, gumshoe958 said:

OK: yes, you will need to get tested no more than 2 days before boarding. At your own expense, and it must be medically supervised (either in person or by video call) with a certificate confirming as much.

Also, if your partner isn’t boosted and their second jab was more than 9 months before your cruise, that pre-departure test must be no more than 1 day before boarding and they’ll have to undergo additional testing on board (not free) in order to visit certain ports.

You can see the latest requirements by selecting Barcelona here: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/the-healthy-sail-center/getting-ready-to-cruise

Formal nights: yes there’ll be a couple but Royal’s (and its customers’) definition of formal is far looser than P&O’s or Cunard’s. Some passengers will go for the full works but in my experience they’ll be in the minority and most will either be in what the Americans call ‘business attire’ or smart casual. There’s always the Windjammer (buffet) if you prefer, with no dress code. On non-formal nights jeans and polos are more than adequate. In short, don’t worry about it. Wear whatever you feel comfortable in as long as it’s decent!

Drinks: there’s not much that’s free: really just ice water, juices, basic tea & coffee. For anything more - coke, nice coffee, smoothies etc you might be better off with a package.

Thank you ! Had not seen the pre-test requirement, will ensure my partner gets their third jab this week so all we need is the pre-departure test!

Thanks for the tip on formal nights, seems I would definitely be a bit out of place wearing my usual P&O formal wear on RC.

Will definitely look at getting a basic drink package then!

There is an offer for all European sailings at the mo where the drink package is “only” £40pppd to buy in advance.  This covers fancy coffees, bottled water, fresh squeezed juices as well as alcohol. Ask your agent to add it for you. Not bootable via planner. Otherwise on board the May do a first day special BOGOHP of $78 + $39 which is roughly the same end result. 

Cab from BCN to port is fixed fare of €39. I made the mistake of pre booking one last week and they weren’t there to meet me. Never again!  There are dozens of cabs at the airport and the line moves quickly. 

Cruising out of Spain, the Spanish either get very dressed up .. or not at all. Expect to see all sorts of attire. 

Edited by little britain