How long does it take to get off the ship when you get to a port?

I have heard that some cruise lines let people off first if they are taking a cruise line excursion, then groups, and then anyone else.  Is this the case with NCL?  We want to do our own thing at a couple of ports but don't want to wait for hours to get off. 

Excursions may have priority but that doesn't mean they get off first.  If the ship docks, you can normally walk off any time after the ship is cleared.  If it is a tender port then you may have to get a tender ticket if you don't have a NCL excursion booked and you want to get off early - priority goes to excursions & Haven guests.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Snoopy2020 said:

I have heard that some cruise lines let people off first if they are taking a cruise line excursion, then groups, and then anyone else.  Is this the case with NCL?  We want to do our own thing at a couple of ports but don't want to wait for hours to get off. 

It all depends on whether you are docked or tendering, assuming you are talking about an intermediate port stop. Docked, you can generally walk off almost whenever you want, shouldn't be any issue. People would typically start to walk off 30-60 minutes after the ships docks, they will announce that local authorities have cleared the ship and disembarkation has begun. If the pax have to tender however, then yes, it can take a long time to get off. Folks booked on cruise line excursions, and folks with "status" on  the cruise line get "first off the ship" privileges, while the rest are usually assigned tickets which schedule their time off the ship. If you want/need to get off early, best find out when and where the disembarkation line starts and get there EARLY.  If we're at a tender port that we've been to many times, we'll usually wait a few hours to take the tender to let the initial crowds thin out

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

People on a shore excursion meet (usually in the theatre) and are allocated into groups before heading off to their transport. The first groups of shore excursion passengers will head off a while after the ship has docked and people are able to get off.

If you are doing your own thing you can easily leave before the shore excursions do.

As stated above, tender ports are different, and it can take a while to get off.

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone.  I was looking at St. Thomas in particular as we are only there for a short time and I know there will be no tendering there so I think we will be fine.  

7 minutes ago, Snoopy2020 said:

Thanks everyone.  I was looking at St. Thomas in particular as we are only there for a short time and I know there will be no tendering there so I think we will be fine.  

At St. Thomas you are only a 10-15min walk to the town...20mins cab ride to Megan's Bay and other beaches. You should be able to see all you want even though you are only there a short time. Make sure to walk the 99 steps and visit Blackbeard's Castle.

6 hours ago, CaptainBazz said:

At St. Thomas you are only a 10-15min walk to the town...20mins cab ride to Megan's Bay and other beaches. You should be able to see all you want even though you are only there a short time. Make sure to walk the 99 steps and visit Blackbeard's Castle.

Our friends want to do Top of the Mountain and I want to look in town for a 25th wedding anniversary present from my husband to me! 😁 I just want enough time to go to Top of the Mountain, have a banana daiquiri and then spend a couple of hours shopping in town.  

1 hour ago, Snoopy2020 said:

Our friends want to do Top of the Mountain and I want to look in town for a 25th wedding anniversary present from my husband to me! 😁 I just want enough time to go to Top of the Mountain, have a banana daiquiri and then spend a couple of hours shopping in town.  

You will easily be able to do that...have fun 😎

• Like 1