HAL Not providing onboard covid testing in Vancouver

12 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

How long did it take to go through security once you were at the YVR airport?  And how long to get to your gate?

There were no long line ups to checkin or to go through security. Our flight was domestic and not until 3pm so we were hours early.  I was surprised at how quickly we were through security. 

1 hour ago, kentuckycruiser said:

Had you been told beforehand that HAL would not be providing tests? I just wanted to double check if you all were on the cruise during the time the policy changed or did you board the day after...

Did having the ship's transfer allow you all to get the test?

We were notified 2 days prior to embarking. We did not have ship transfers to or from. When I went to Guest Services on Day 2 of the cruise to get our On Deck For a Cause shirts, I also mentioned that I was disappointed that I needed to hastily research and arrange for post-cruise Covid testing when all along I was under the impression HAL would take care of this for us. I was very relieved when they notified us to report for testing. 

we went to the urgent care clinic/pharmacy on Hornby, Seymour is the name of the company and paid $90 each Canadian for rapid Antigen test. Great service and friendly staff, however the space is very small.

If the US is gonna require this why didn't they send us at home kits that they would accept the results?

-Paul

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, kangforpres said:

we went to the urgent care clinic/pharmacy on Hornby, Seymour is the name of the company and paid $90 each Canadian for rapid Antigen test. Great service and friendly staff, however the space is very small.

If the US is gonna require this why didn't they send us at home kits that they would accept the results?

-Paul

I was told by two proctoring services that any FDA approved test will work. Ihealth has FDA approval. What kits wouldn’t they accept? You just need to get the test proctored and then they issue you the certificate. The issue is having to use the cruise line internet. What issue did you have so we can make sure we don’t run into the same one? Thanks.

55 minutes ago, Gray Lady said:

I was told by two proctoring services that any FDA approved test will work. Ihealth has FDA approval. What kits wouldn’t they accept? You just need to get the test proctored and then they issue you the certificate. The issue is having to use the cruise line internet. What issue did you have so we can make sure we don’t run into the same one? Thanks.

Is Ihealth were you have to have someone watch you online do the test? For that you need a strong wifi connection, not always available outside of your service area.

4 hours ago, PoppyBanks said:

We were notified 2 days prior to embarking. We did not have ship transfers to or from. When I went to Guest Services on Day 2 of the cruise to get our On Deck For a Cause shirts, I also mentioned that I was disappointed that I needed to hastily research and arrange for post-cruise Covid testing when all along I was under the impression HAL would take care of this for us. I was very relieved when they notified us to report for testing. 

thanks for the update. I wonder if your cruise got grandfathered if you asked nicely. I also wonder if that policy will continue if I go to desk and ask nicely in a few weeks. But who knows, it is just a stressful addition to the trip for sure.

Edited by kentuckycruiser
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, kangforpres said:

Is Ihealth were you have to have someone watch you online do the test? For that you need a strong wifi connection, not always available outside of your service area.

Yes. We are wondering if now the cruise ships will make sure there is a strong enough connection. We were told yes, with the premium package, but…???

thanks for the update. I wonder if your cruise got grandfathered if you asked nicely. I also wonder if that policy will continue if I go to desk and ask nicely in a few weeks. But who knows, it is just a stressful addition to the trip for sure.

I did ask nicely, and noticed that the Guest Services rep wrote in her notebook as I spoke. Wondering if the group of us who were tested are the ones who also spoke to guest services 🤔

2 minutes ago, jclav said:

anyone use emed?  it looks like the test and report are $25 each if you buy a bundle of 6 and you can do anytime no appts needed?

We have done 4 of the emed tests and they are very easy to do.  We just did one yesterday for a cruise beginning today.  No appointments are needed and the wait time is generally very short especially if you do the test in the afternoon or early evening.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Btimmer said:

We have done 4 of the emed tests and they are very easy to do.  We just did one yesterday for a cruise beginning today.  No appointments are needed and the wait time is generally very short especially if you do the test in the afternoon or early evening.

Thanks so much.  So that cost includes the test and the appt corrrect?

Edited by jclav

Just now, jclav said:

Thanks so much.  So that cost includes the test and the appt corerect?

Yes.  Once you purchase the eMed.com AT HOME tests, there's no further charges.  They do have a shipping charge however.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Btimmer said:

Yes.  Once you purchase the eMed.com AT HOME tests, there's no further charges.  They do have a shipping charge however.

Thanks I just ordered mine

On 5/5/2022 at 2:37 PM, clarkfam said:

What hotel in Vancouver offers the testing?  We are cruising from Seward to Vancouver.  We have not made our return flight arrangements yet so we can stay in Vancouver a night if this will be easier.  

Just started reading this thread so if someone has already responded I apologize.

Anyhow, if you haven’t booked your flights yet there is a bus that runs twice a day from Vancouver near the cruise terminal to SEATAC. It’s a five hour ride and the cost for the later bus is $50.  Then you don’t need to test at all. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, kangforpres said:

K-dam customer service said the Pan Pacific hotel had testing but we were not staying there and not sure what they were charging.

I think the Pan Pacific and the Convention Center testing are the same place. Its the same operation that is at the airport. 79CAD to be paid upfront, although they do say you can cancel and get your money back, but who knows what a hassle that would be.

• Like 1

I think the Pan Pacific and the Convention Center testing are the same place. Its the same operation that is at the airport. 79CAD to be paid upfront, although they do say you can cancel and get your money back, but who knows what a hassle that would be.

The Pan Pacific is $125 I believe, so is the Fairmont.  The testing at the Convention Ctr. and the airport are operated by the same company.  CVM is the company.  There is a list over on TripAdvisor/Vancouver Forum....

Edited by Dancing Shoes
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dancing Shoes said:

The Pan Pacific is $125 I believe, so is the Fairmont.  The testing at the Convention Ctr. and the airport are operated by the same company.  CVM is the company.  There is a list over on TripAdvisor/Vancouver Forum....

We made appointments for our July Noordam cruise.

CVM Medical (covid-medical.ca)

• Like 1

I actually did schedule tests for the 4 of us after we arrived in Vancouver (May 6th) one day pre-cruise. Once we learned HAL was testing us, I cancelled all

appointments and have received a full refund already. We booked them with CVM Medical. 

• Like 1

Cousins of mine just arrived at Vancouver aboard the Noordam. They were tested on the ship by HAL. It took only a few minutes plus a 30-minute wait in their cabin for results. They were on a Ft. Lauderdale to Vancouver Panama Canal trip.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PoppyBanks said:

I actually did schedule tests for the 4 of us after we arrived in Vancouver (May 6th) one day pre-cruise. Once we learned HAL was testing us, I cancelled all

appointments and have received a full refund already. We booked them with CVM Medical. 

that is great info. I may go on and book for the four of us.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2022 at 7:11 PM, jeh10641 said:

Cousins of mine just arrived at Vancouver aboard the Noordam. They were tested on the ship by HAL. It took only a few minutes plus a 30-minute wait in their cabin for results. They were on a Ft. Lauderdale to Vancouver Panama Canal trip.

I got off the Noordam in Vancouver and had the same experience as you cousins.  Testing appeared to be available for anyone that wanted it.

• Thanks 1

W e debarked Noordam 15 May and needed a Covid test to fly back to San Diego the next day. We went to a testing site in Canada Place. We were tested immediately and received results in 15 minutes. There was no cost for the test. Ironically I tested positive for Covid  on 17 May after return. If I had tested positive on 15 May, I would have been quarantined in Canada. Strange.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oceanbill457 said:

W e debarked Noordam 15 May and needed a Covid test to fly back to San Diego the next day. We went to a testing site in Canada Place. We were tested immediately and received results in 15 minutes. There was no cost for the test. Ironically I tested positive for Covid  on 17 May after return. If I had tested positive on 15 May, I would have been quarantined in Canada. Strange.

why was there no cost?