Travel insurance - RCCL vs Allianz

JF4300

I don’t usually use travel insurance but have an expensive cruise coming up and so far Royal has quoted $1187. For 3 people.

any advantage to buy from another company? In your experience is royals coverage inclusive or are there gaps?

The cruise lines tend to sell insurance with rather low limits. It would cover a minor medical problem but would not be enough for something major. The biggest benefit of cruise line insurance is they usually don't charge more based on age and can give you cancel for any reason for cheaper though it's usually FCC not refund. 

You need to compare the two plans and figure out what you want/need and pick the best option. 

23 minutes ago, GEORGIEGIRL said:

I know for us (Young couple in our early 50's 😀) we prefer to use "Allianz". They offer way more options. We travel a fair amount so we actually purchase an "All inclusive Plan" for an entire year.

We do this as well and had to use it three times in one year on three different cruises. My granddaughter became sick, my wife had an infection, and I broke a bone in my foot. That was our first time that we needed to make a claim and all three were honored completely.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, GEORGIEGIRL said:

I know for us (Young couple in our early 50's 😀) we prefer to use "Allianz". They offer way more options. We travel a fair amount so we actually purchase an "All inclusive Plan" for an entire year.

We are thinking of doing a yearly plan me 58 and husband 60. We have health insurance that will cover us internationally, but am looking for cancellation in case of illness, missed flights or if we are on a trip and something happens to a family member back home.  I notice when pricing it out that it limits cancellation to 5000 per year not per trip, so if you use it then you would not be eligble again for that year..

Edited by irishgal432

Insurance premiums for travel policies are based on age of the traveller, cost of the trip, number of days covered and dollar limits per provision, among other things. Insurance is also regulated by each state so if you are looking at equivalent coverage, the price will also be equivalent across companies. You may find a cheaper policy, but look for differences in coverage.

That being said, cruise line insurance may cost less because it may be based on percentage of cost, but it will also offer lower limits of coverage.

My dad had to use it a few years ago and had to be hospitalized in Anchorage the day before the cruise. The only gaps he said were it didn't cover the cost of the train they had booked from Anchorage to Seward before the cruise, nor the return airfare cost change since they flew back out of Anchorage as soon as he was out of the hospital there. I wouldn't expect either of those to be covered anyways, but his credit card covered them.

He did have a few issues using it because there was a miscommunication with the person he talked to at first and his paperwork, but he got it sorted out relatively quickly and was refunded the entire cruise fare plus the shore excursions.

Allianz is who we used back in 2018 when we had to cancel Panama Canal cruise 7 days before sailing due to emergency medical issue.  No problems getting our money back.  Took a few weeks, due to having to obtain letter from doctor saying she recommended not cruising.