Celestyal vs Royal Caribbean or Celebrity?

curiouser123

We have been on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean and are considering Celestyal because it fits our dates and itinerary wishes. How do activities and food compare? I'd love to find sample menus or sample activity plans. Thanks for any information.

• 2 weeks later...

We are just off the Celestyal Crystal and we loved the whole experience. I've traveled with both RCL and Celebrity, and for my priorities and to my taste, this was the cruise for me. 

The itinerary can't be beat at the price.

And the staff! They are so wonderful and welcoming! As if they were your doting hosts, genuinely wishing you a wonderful vacation.

The food was delicious, and the choices were varied and satisfying. I regret not photographing the menus! There are fish options almost every meal for those trying to keep it healthy. There are burgers for the kids (or adults suffering "choice burnout" from all the variety!) And there are lots of cruise ship "standard" choices. (My husband enjoyed his roast beef, I loved my chicken Kiev). Everything was plated beautifully.  Oh! Every evening there is a "Blue Zone" selection for the healthy-minded that is based on traditional island cuisine. 

A few things to know:

The ship is older. It reminds me of the Celebrity Summit before the update in 2019. So expect dated interiors. If that is important to you, the Crystal isn't for you.  That said, the ship is impeccably neat and CLEAN. Truly well cared for.

The pool is tiny. The hot tub is in the middle of the best outdoor (aft) bar, so be comfortable with that if you really need a dip on board.

As far as activities, I can't really speak to the onboard activities, because every day you arrive at a new island, waiting to be explored, and that is what we did. The on-shore time is generous!

I did see a line dancing group by the pool, having a fabulous time. The activities director leading was very charming. I also know there are also Greek dancing and "Greek phrases for travellers" classes. There was a wine tasting event for a modest charge for some fun (not fancy) wines. 

There is a disco. We were too exhausted from dashing all over the Ah-maz-ing islands to stay up that late!

There is a show every evening, a combo of song, dance, quick costume changes and acrobatics, performed by an in-house troop. Keep your expectations modest here. It's a small ship, so no icecapades. And these hard working and talented performers are delivering 6 (7?) different-themed shows a week. The acrobatics are suitably hair-raising: lots of partner work on ropes and rings and silks, and you're praying noone drops! 

So, in summary, if you're a destination focused traveller, who likes to be warmly hosted by staff, and loves good and generous food (and drink! - there's a nice list of included beverages including morning lattes, some name brand liquors, soft drinks, juices, mineral water, and very palatable house wines) and doesn't need water slides or icecapades, and think a bit of older decor can be charming: GO!

I repeat, GO!

(And say "hi" to Amaury and Nelson and Kidd in the dining room for me. Those guys are the best!)

• Like 3