San Pedro Hotels

8 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

Agreed...and worse.  There are some bad areas in Long Bach...and there are some even worse areas just to the north of Long Beach.

You don't even need to go "north" of Long Beach. Three to four blocks north of Ocean Ave or Broadway can be bad. Long Beach goes from nice to bad in a very short space.

On 5/21/2022 at 10:08 AM, scottca075 said:

You don't even need to go "north" of Long Beach. Three to four blocks north of Ocean Ave or Broadway can be bad. Long Beach goes from nice to bad in a very short space.

Appreciate the concern!!  It looks like it's at 4th Street between Magnolia and Shoreline?  We looked at Google Street View around the area before booking, and it seemed decent.  We've spent a decent amount of time in LA, so we had a general idea of where to avoid, but also I realize you can be in a nice area one minute and super ghetto the next.

1 hour ago, claireruth said:

Appreciate the concern!!  It looks like it's at 4th Street between Magnolia and Shoreline?  We looked at Google Street View around the area before booking, and it seemed decent.  We've spent a decent amount of time in LA, so we had a general idea of where to avoid, but also I realize you can be in a nice area one minute and super ghetto the next.

It's not terrible...behind the Deukmejian Courthouse, next to Cesar Chavez Park and 3-4 blocks north of the Hilton.  If you're close to the park, you may have to deal with loud music from picnickers on weekends...and a few of the homeless like to frequent that park.  I'd prefer to be down around the Pike/Convention Center/Shoreline Village in a hotel...but I understand why some like airbnbs...

59 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

It's not terrible...behind the Deukmejian Courthouse, next to Cesar Chavez Park and 3-4 blocks north of the Hilton.  If you're close to the park, you may have to deal with loud music from picnickers on weekends...and a few of the homeless like to frequent that park.  I'd prefer to be down around the Pike/Convention Center/Shoreline Village in a hotel...but I understand why some like airbnbs...

Thanks for the info!  We'll be there on a Thursday night, so hopefully there's not too much noise.  Normally we'd do a hotel especially just for one night, but the Airbnb price was a lot better for somewhere just to sleep.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/15/2022 at 11:40 AM, Bruin Steve said:

Ummmmmm...

"...supposed to be close to..."

Yeah, in a way, I guess, it's "close"...

My big question would be "WHY?".  A cheap price?  When you see a cheap hotel price in LA, there is a reason.   And "close" is a relative term.  In this case, it's like "Where is the worst possible location "close" to the port?"

It's a 2-star motel on a freeway offramp in a scuzzy area 4+ miles north of the San Pedro cruise terminal--in the direction of the inner city...and 8 miles from the Carnival port in Long Beach.  Nowhere to eat nearby--except a few blocks walk (that you won't want to walk) to a couple of local taquerias...

If you are just looking to save money and stay cheap, just pay a little extra money and stay somewhere recommended.  It will be well worth the higher price.

Have stayed here about 8 times 3 times since start up. There is a Dennys next door (so so). Park for 7 days free no shuttle.  About 20 +/-dollars lyft/uber. to Carnival port 15 dollars +/- San Pedro. We have stayed in the others mentioned though the years also. Would book this one again Oh i do have 2 more book for next year.

22 hours ago, yogi_6977 said:

Have stayed here about 8 times 3 times since start up. There is a Dennys next door (so so). Park for 7 days free no shuttle.  About 20 +/-dollars lyft/uber. to Carnival port 15 dollars +/- San Pedro. We have stayed in the others mentioned though the years also. Would book this one again Oh i do have 2 more book for next year.

How far is the hotel from LAX airport?  Thanks!

21 hours ago, scottca075 said:

If you mean the Best Western Worldport Hotel, aprx. 15-18 miles, depending on route.

We are looking into stay at the The Cove Hotel, Ascend Hotel Collection a few days before our cruise. Any information you can provide would be helpful. Thanks much.

On 5/21/2022 at 3:25 AM, Bruin Steve said:

Agreed...and worse.  There are some bad areas in Long Bach...and there are some even worse areas just to the north of Long Beach...I would advise running this Airbnb location by us locals here on the message board.

"...looks to be just about a 15 minute drive from the cruise port..." could be, for example,  Palos Verdes (excellent)...or it could be Compton (the polar opposite of excellent)...

Any information you can share about The Cove Hotel, Ascend Hotel Collection in Long Beach. We are looking at this one to add to our possibilities for an upcoming cruise.

35 minutes ago, Goldconnection said:

We are looking into stay at the The Cove Hotel, Ascend Hotel Collection a few days before our cruise. Any information you can provide would be helpful. Thanks much.

It is not an area in Long Beach I would stay; certainly not for "a few days".

What is your nightly budget for a hotel? Where are you coming in from? What do you plan to see in your "few day?"

50 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

It is not an area in Long Beach I would stay; certainly not for "a few days".

What is your nightly budget for a hotel? Where are you coming in from? What do you plan to see in your "few day?"

Our budget is up to $200. We are planning to stay precruise for two days. We are cruising out of San Pedro.

22 minutes ago, Goldconnection said:

Our budget is up to $200. We are planning to stay precruise for two days. We are cruising out of San Pedro.

I'd start by checking the Crowne Plaza San Pedro, DoubleTree San Pedro, Best Western Plus San Pedro Hotel and then Best Western Plus Hotel At The Convention Center (Long Beach) to start.

26 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

I'd start by checking the Crowne Plaza San Pedro, DoubleTree San Pedro, Best Western Plus San Pedro Hotel and then Best Western Plus Hotel At The Convention Center (Long Beach) to start.

Thank you. Those are already on my list of possibilities.

15 minutes ago, Goldconnection said:

The Cove area is not a great area. I know it well because it is close to where I park my car (Willow Street Station) when I ride the Metro into Downtown LA when I don't need my car.

On 6/14/2022 at 10:58 PM, Goldconnection said:

Best western is no longer an hotel -sold as a homeless veteran facility .

Staff given 2days notice.

5 hours ago, loerie said:

Best western is no longer an hotel -sold as a homeless veteran facility .

Staff given 2days notice.

I assume you mean the Best Western Plus San Pedro Hotel & Suites?

If so, it is so sudden, there is nothing in the papers or on the Internet yet.