Applying a gift card…even though my booked cruises are already paid in full

Gunther1

I just finished an on-line chat with a HAL employee.

I asked if I can apply a gift card to my account, even though we owe no money.

She insisted that I could only redeem a gift card IF I owe money.  IE, I essentially can’t cash it until I book another cruise.  

I was hoping to apply it now, so it could be used for the employee tips, on board spending, etc.

Given the inconsistent track record with HAL employees, I thought I’d ask here.  Is she correct ?

The HAL website, as far as I can see, doesn’t give me an option to do this. 

6 minutes ago, Gunther1 said:

I just finished an on-line chat with a HAL employee.

I asked if I can apply a gift card to my account, even though we owe no money.

She insisted that I could only redeem a gift card IF I owe money.  IE, I essentially can’t cash it until I book another cruise.  

I was hoping to apply it now, so it could be used for the employee tips, on board spending, etc.

Given the inconsistent track record with HAL employees, I thought I’d ask here.  Is she correct ?

The HAL website, as far as I can see, doesn’t give me an option to do this. 

you can hold on to it and use it on board to apply to your account. you can also use it now, if you wish, to purchase on board credit. No matter how you booked, you can call Ship's Services (800) 541-1576 and purchase OBC, or you can have your HAL rep or Travel Agent do it for you.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, richwmn said:

you can hold on to it and use it on board to apply to your account. you can also use it now, if you wish, to purchase on board credit. No matter how you booked, you can call Ship's Services (800) 541-1576 and purchase OBC, or you can have your HAL rep or Travel Agent do it for you.

Thanks !  Is there a way I can do it on line, or only through a person ?

10 minutes ago, Gunther1 said:

you may be able to do it online IF you are booked directly with HAL. sign in and go to your booking. then go to gifts and indulgences, followed by on board credit. When I try it will only let me use a credit/debit card, but someone mentioned using gift cards since they were booked directly with HAL

Just the other week I went to my HAL account and used bonus gift cards to purchase onboard credit for my upcoming cruise that was booked through a travel agency, not directly with HAL.  Afterwards (maybe the next day), I was able to see my OBC by looking at my itinerary.

3 hours ago, Gunther1 said:

You can buy OBC through the manage my reservation section even if you booked through a TA. Go to Cruise Activities, then Gifts & Indulgences, then shipboard credit. It is available in 5, 25, 50 & 100 increments and you can buy as much as you want. 

8 hours ago, richwmn said:

you may be able to do it online IF you are booked directly with HAL. sign in and go to your booking. then go to gifts and indulgences, followed by on board credit. When I try it will only let me use a credit/debit card, but someone mentioned using gift cards since they were booked directly with HAL

I’m booked with a travel agent, however,mi have access to my cruise and book my excursions, dining and indulgences myself, if I’m so inclined. I used my bonus gift cards, and added $200 OBC to cover incidentals, crew appreciation etc