Covid testing in Venice proper

Lindancer

Greetings,  We leaving July 16 out of Trieste but flying into Venice a few days earlier.  Rather than take the test where you sit in your hotel room and hope for adequate wi-fi, I am hoping there are places in Venice that do testing.   I heard there might be testing at the airport, but we are flying in too early for the 3-day rule and are transporting directly from Venice (Tronchetto) to Trieste on embarkation day.  I also don't want to wait until we get to the ship, because I believe there will be long lines of passengers waiting to purchase the $60 testing kit that they have a "limited supply" of.   I can do my own research, of course, but thought I'd start here first.  They are some well-informed cruisers on this board and I usually get great advice.

Thanks in advance.

Linda

3 hours ago, Wendy-Europe said:

There is no guarantee that these test stations are still available in 8 weeks

Thank you!  That is excellent information, and I understand that things change rapidly these days!

Probably one of the most convenient test stations is the station at TRAIN STATION S. Lucia Venezia – Free Rapid Test Point at the entrance of the station, because it is nearly next to the people mover to the port entrance.

And in my opinion, this should be one of the longest available testing stations, along with the station at the airport, because there are a lot of tourists arriving and departing here who need antigen testing.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Wendy-Europe said:

Probably one of the most convenient test stations is the station at TRAIN STATION S. Lucia Venezia – Free Rapid Test Point at the entrance of the station, because it is nearly next to the people mover to the port entrance.

And in my opinion, this should be one of the longest available testing stations, along with the station at the airport, because there are a lot of tourists arriving and departing here who need antigen testing.

As far as I found out, all free tests where stopped by the end of September. You should get a rapid test at every pharmacy for about 15 to 20 euro. 

Will find out next week and let you know! 

• Like 1

On 5/12/2022 at 2:59 PM, bavarianbumblebee said:

As far as I found out, all free tests where stopped by the end of September. You should get a rapid test at every pharmacy for about 15 to 20 euro. 

Will find out next week and let you know! 

Thanks.  My cruise is not until July 16, but I will be checking this board frequently,  hoping people will be posting up-to-date info.  Totally appreciated!

• 4 weeks later...

Came back from the Gem last sunday. As we have been to Italy before, we got our test at the Red Cross in Florence for 15 euros. We got the info that its possible to get tested at the airports in Florence and Venice for 35 Euro (without having a flight ticket), 

Spoke to some guests at the check in in Trieste. Seems that it was difficult to get a test in Trieste and finally got tested at the terminal. But dont know how much that was. 

I have read that tests are available at the airport without an appointment. We plan to do that on arrival before our cruise in a couple of weeks to satisfy the 3 day rule (we are staying in Venice before the cruise). Also, there is a pharmacy in Venice nr St Mark's square that does them for a lower charge than the airport. You need an appointment, but I have seen people say they went to the pharmacy to set up an appointment and then returned for the test. The name is "Farmacia Lupo Coronato". It isn't open on Sundays. There may be a site at Piazzale Roma (where the people mover is located) but I am having trouble confirming this.   I will come back and add if I find out anything more. 

• Like 1

On 6/9/2022 at 11:31 AM, srnash said:

I have read that tests are available at the airport without an appointment. We plan to do that on arrival before our cruise in a couple of weeks to satisfy the 3 day rule (we are staying in Venice before the cruise). Also, there is a pharmacy in Venice nr St Mark's square that does them for a lower charge than the airport. You need an appointment, but I have seen people say they went to the pharmacy to set up an appointment and then returned for the test. The name is "Farmacia Lupo Coronato". It isn't open on Sundays. There may be a site at Piazzale Roma (where the people mover is located) but I am having trouble confirming this.   I will come back and add if I find out anything more. 

That is exactly what I intend to do.  We are staying in Venice before our cruise too.  I say - get it done right away at the airport and then it is done.  Worth the 35 Euro.

I know this has been posted (often) elsewhere but if the cruise line will accept an Antigen test you can simply purchase a proctored antigen test before you leave home and test yourself from the privacy of your hotel room (as long as you have Internet access).   Here is a link to one of the more popular test options (we used these recently before flying home from Prague):

Category: COVID-19 at-home test with verified lab report | eMed

I guess the great news today is that the USA has finally ended their test requirement for those flying back to the USA.

Hank