Cruise Ports

mfnorth

Hank's advice is soooo true!  I'm sometimes astonished at the questions people will ask on CC when they should be going directly to the source ... a government office, the cruise line Terms & Conditions, that kind of thing.  His advice as never been so true as these days after 2 years of the virus disaster.  Get your questions answered here but be sure to verify the info at the source.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2022 at 3:54 PM, Mary229 said:

I use Whatsinport and Tom’s port guides to understand logistics from the ports.  I also use google maps and AllTrails to find walkable areas from the port if possible.  

This. It's important to check multiple sources when doing online research. If I'm going to a site, I always try to find the ACTUAL official website of the place, be it a church, a museum, a monument or whatever. They are much more likely to have the updated information for opening hours, ticket costs and so on. Especially important right now because some places in Europe are requiring pre-reservation or pre-purchase of a ticket due to COVID-related capacity control. So just because you were able to walk in and buy a ticket to get pre-COVID doesn't mean the same still holds true.

I also glance over the relevant Tripadvisor forums for that place and maybe the Rick Steves boards as well. Right now, the US embassy web pages for each country to be visited are also required reading to understand COVID requirements (testing, masks, quarantine, etc.)

The problem with sites like Tom's port guides is that they are basically limited to what Tom has considered and/or done. Which may not be what you want to do if you knew ALL the options. And which may only be updated whenever Tom gets around to it or visits again.

On 5/28/2022 at 6:33 PM, Hlitner said:

One problem with port guides and advice is that many things (port wise) are always changing.  We often see too many posts here and elsewhere where folks dispense advice that is completely out-of-date and wrong.   

I mention this because folks do need to be careful where they get their info and do their own due diligence to verify that the info is up to date!  Lately we have noticed too many CC posts offering advice (on cruise lines and ports) that date back prior to COVID.  Things have changed and pre-Covid information will often need to be updated.  

Hank

Also sage advice. Things change constantly, even before throwing COVID into the mix. Some posters on these boards are still quoting the previous Civitavecchia port entrance -- which was changed 5-6 years ago. Now there is a "new" new entrance (which I sincerely hope is truly temporary).