Private tour for cruise stop at Argostoli

cruiseesl

I will be on an RC cruise this July that will stop at Argostoli between the hours of 10:00 am and 6:00 pm. I have never been to Kefalonia so I'd like to choose my touring carefully. Does anyone have a tour company to recommend?  Thank you.

21 hours ago, cruiseesl said:

I will be on an RC cruise this July that will stop at Argostoli between the hours of 10:00 am and 6:00 pm. I have never been to Kefalonia so I'd like to choose my touring carefully. Does anyone have a tour company to recommend?  Thank you.

How many people you will be? You can hire a taxi if you find more people and trust me you will enjoy it more since Kefalonia is a big island with many landmarks to see! Othwerise if you want just to relax try a beach excursion.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/13/2022 at 3:27 PM, SummmerInKefalonia said:

How many people you will be? You can hire a taxi if you find more people and trust me you will enjoy it more since Kefalonia is a big island with many landmarks to see! Othwerise if you want just to relax try a beach excursion.

We are also exploring options for Kefalonia.  Stopping there on Sunday, August 15, on the Celebrity Beyond.  We are thinking of hiring a taxi to take us to Fiskardo to do some trail hiking and get lunch maybe.  Any good suggestions for Fiskardo that we shouldn't miss?  Thanks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ev8876 said:

We are also exploring options for Kefalonia.  Stopping there on Sunday, August 15, on the Celebrity Beyond.  We are thinking of hiring a taxi to take us to Fiskardo to do some trail hiking and get lunch maybe.  Any good suggestions for Fiskardo that we shouldn't miss?  Thanks.

*Monday August 15th. Fiskardo is a small village so if you go there you can easily explore it all in 1 hour. It is a very picturesque fishing village with many tavernas famous for their local cuisine. Usually yachts go there so note that the prices will be similar to Mykonos. On your way to Fiskardo you could also stop to Assos Village or even visit the famous Myrtos beach (voted many times as the best greek beach).

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, SummmerInKefalonia said:

*Monday August 15th. Fiskardo is a small village so if you go there you can easily explore it all in 1 hour. It is a very picturesque fishing village with many tavernas famous for their local cuisine. Usually yachts go there so note that the prices will be similar to Mykonos. On your way to Fiskardo you could also stop to Assos Village or even visit the famous Myrtos beach (voted many times as the best greek beach).

Thank you!   And yes - Monday!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2022 at 9:47 AM, SummmerInKefalonia said:

Fiskardo is a small village so if you go there you can easily explore it all in 1 hour. It is a very picturesque fishing village with many tavernas famous for their local cuisine. Usually yachts go there so note that the prices will be similar to Mykonos. On your way to Fiskardo you could also stop to Assos Village or even visit the famous Myrtos beach (voted many times as the best greek beach).

SummerInKefalonia is right, as usual.  

We rented cars in Argostoli, and drove exactly like SummerInKefalonia suggested.  We stopped by Assos on our way to Fiskardo, had a delicious lunch at Fiskardo, and stopped by  Myrtos Beach on the way back.  Kefalonia was our favorite island, actually.

• Like 2

On 6/25/2022 at 3:44 PM, pdmlynek said:

SummerInKefalonia is right, as usual.  

We rented cars in Argostoli, and drove exactly like SummerInKefalonia suggested.  We stopped by Assos on our way to Fiskardo, had a delicious lunch at Fiskardo, and stopped by  Myrtos Beach on the way back.  Kefalonia was our favorite island, actually.

Which car rental did you use? I have sent messages to three different agencies and all say they do not rent for one day.

11 hours ago, cricket200 said:

Which car rental did you use? I have sent messages to three different agencies and all say they do not rent for one day.

Yes, getting a car rental at Kefalonia was a bit challenging, compared to other Greek islands.  I assume that it was just me, but maybe there is more to it.  A few notes:

(1) The big problem is that the large international car rental agencies (Hertz, Avis, Budget, Sixt, Eurocar, National, etc.) seem to be missing from the town close to the pier. They are plentiful at the airport, but absent from the port area.  I played with our time budget, but I could just not get the timing down to make it out to the airport.  I had to get the car locally.

(2) I've ran across a few bait and switch outfits.  I booked cars at 50 to 60 EUR, and then I got e-mails that the rate is actually 130 EUR/day.  And yes, I also ran into several outfits that did not want to do car rentals for a day.

(3) We rented two cars from Dimitris Vardaramatos (dvardar_89kef@me.com) from kefalonia-auto.rentals .  I was very happy with the rental in part for the following reasons:

- the cars that he rented were in a great shape;

- the rental process was very quick, both outgoing and returning;

- the price was reasonable;

- we did not need a deposit when I reserved the cars; and

- the car rental place is very close to the pier (Leof. Ioannou Metaxa 10, corner with Leof. Antoni Tritsi, 38.1838°N 20.4879°E) compared to other car rental places.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pdmlynek said:

(3) We rented two cars from Dimitris Vardaramatos (dvardar_89kef@me.com) from kefalonia-auto.rentals .  I was very happy with the rental in part for the following reasons:

- the car rental place is very close to the pier (Leof. Ioannou Metaxa 10, corner with Leof. Antoni Tritsi, 38.1838°N 20.4879°E) compared to other car rental places.

Thank you!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/28/2022 at 2:15 AM, pdmlynek said:

Thanks for sharing your success story here.  Perhaps since you were renting 2 cars the vendor was extra reasonable?  Your day trip sounds great as outlined by SummerInKephalonia.  I believe our ship Oceania's Nautica will be at anchor on Sept 20.  Do you remember the price?  And any problem with language barrier?

1 minute ago, nursinadream said:

Thanks for sharing your success story here.  Perhaps since you were renting 2 cars the vendor was extra reasonable?  Your day trip sounds great as outlined by SummerInKephalonia.  I believe our ship Oceania's Nautica will be at anchor on Sept 20.  Do you remember the price?  And any problem with language barrier?

You will dock on Sept. 20 here!

7 minutes ago, SummmerInKefalonia said:

You will dock on Sept. 20 here!

Thanks, the printed itinerary is hard to read.  Do you agree with a taxi rental for Argostoli?  And you suggest Myrtos Beach I notice in another post.

Edited by nursinadream
additional question

12 hours ago, nursinadream said:

Thanks, the printed itinerary is hard to read.  Do you agree with a taxi rental for Argostoli?  And you suggest Myrtos Beach I notice in another post.

Yep, there are plenty of taxis just outside the port gate. It is a good choice but always check the weather for Myrtos, if it is windy is impossible to swim there sadly. If it is windy go to Antisamos beach and then maybe pass from the caves which are nearby.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2022 at 2:40 PM, nursinadream said:

No, there are no problems with language barriers even in a relatively non-touristy place like Kefalonia.  This is not like the 1990s, where English was rarer.  Now a days, anyone even remotely connected with tourists speaks perfect English.  It felt like being in a Nordic country.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2022 at 2:40 PM, nursinadream said:

The prices were around 50 to 60 EUR per day, depending on the car.  

On 6/5/2022 at 7:17 AM, ev8876 said:

Keep in mind, Fiskardo is a two hour drive each direction from/to Argostoli. Just the commute will eat up a big chunk of your day.