Rock Wall and Ice Skating Questions

esbclb

Hello! I was hoping someone could provide information on the procedures for participating in the rock wall and ice skating on the NOS. We will be on the April 1st sailing and expect it to be a pretty full ship. I know RCCL's info states that you may show up on the hour on an "as available" basis for the rock wall, but I am interested to know how this REALLY works. :-) Is it always crowded? With regard to the ice skating--what hours of the day is this available and can you just come when you want to without a reservation, and is this crowded? Thanks for your input!!!!!

Ice skating has never been busy when I went. They have it on days at sea. As far as the rock wall, there is a sign up time prior to the climbing. It is usually about an hour before the actual climbing starts. There have been a number of times that it was fully booked. But we have had 2 times where we just came and were able to climb.

Hi

I've climbed the rock wall and ice skated and never had a problem with lines.

The Cruise Compass will indicate the times when the rock wall is open as well as open skating.

I usually climb the rock wall in the morning (around 9:30am) since most passengers are eating breakfast or still sleeping from being up late the night before. If you're looking for a specific time to climb the rock wall then you should sign up to guarantee a spot.

Open skating is not that busy based on my experience. There are several sessions during the day so if you can't make one, you can go to the other. On Voyager (9 day cruise) they offered ice skating lessons which I thought was a neat idea. For advanced skaters, there's a session for them as well.

Have a great time and enjoy. What ship are you going on?

We did both ice skating and rock climbing on Explorer. There is no rental fee for the needed equipment for either activity.

Be aware that parents [& adults] do need to sign a waiver each time they use either facility. You can't just send the kids to skate or climb by themselves.

The only other precaution, the rock wall can get quite hot depending on the orientation of the ship and sun.

Hello! I was hoping someone could provide information on the procedures for participating in the rock wall and ice skating on the NOS. We will be on the April 1st sailing and expect it to be a pretty full ship. I know RCCL's info states that you may show up on the hour on an "as available" basis for the rock wall, but I am interested to know how this REALLY works. :-) Is it always crowded? With regard to the ice skating--what hours of the day is this available and can you just come when you want to without a reservation, and is this crowded? Thanks for your input!!!!!

My 4 grandchildren and I were on the Explorer last October- really didn't find it to be too crowded. You may have to wait a few minutes - but you adjust! We didn't find the ice skating to be as crowded and were able to skate from one session to the next. Must brag a bit - granddaughter was the rock climbing wall that week - beat out her male cousins!

Archived