Affordable Car Rental-Skagway

Madi'sMom

Quick question..reading about Nils and Affordable Car Rental in Skagway and very interested in booking but unable to get ahold of them.  Has any one else had this problem?  My friend and I were apprehensive about booking online because there is no date to choose.  She thought what the heck we should try but we couldn't do that either.  Said something weird about form of payment not allowed for our state (CA).  Any insight would be appreciated.  Thanks!!

We rented from them once and the car was pretty rough. They were also hard to contact. I would really recommend using Avis. We have had great experiences with them - super convenient and nice cars. The Toyota Highlander we had last week was very new - only 20,000 miles and nice and roomy. 

• 2 months later...

I used Affordable Car Rentals a few weeks ago and would do so again without hesitation. The pricing is less than Avis, I was able to pay $10 to have the car waiting for me in the parking lot in the port (vs walking into town), which let us get on the road more quickly and return the car to the port lot at the end of the day - so convenient. We had a Ford Escape. It wasn't the latest model, but it was spotless and ran great.

31 minutes ago, ccqueenanne said:

I used Affordable Car Rentals a few weeks ago and would do so again without hesitation. The pricing is less than Avis, I was able to pay $10 to have the car waiting for me in the parking lot in the port (vs walking into town), which let us get on the road more quickly and return the car to the port lot at the end of the day - so convenient. We had a Ford Escape. It wasn't the latest model, but it was spotless and ran great.

@ccqueenanne

thank you! Glad to hear that you had a great time! 

• 9 months later...

Be aware if you rent from

them. Website states $20 fee to leave car at cruise dock, I opted to just walk to the rental place because I had been to Skagway before and knew it was a very short walk and not worth extra $20. Then the rental company leaves the car at the dock anyway. Then once we get to the car the windshield wiper was being held on by zip tie. Then the wrong car seat was in the car and we had to call to switch out. They did not know how to put in the car seat so we put it in and then volunteered to put a car seat in another rental for them! Then we finally get on our way and the brakes on the car were completely wore out. They were squealing just going down the road and then when pressed they sounded awful. Returned the car and text the rental company to let them know about the brakes and got no response. Then I get email next day that I was charged an additional $25 because I went over 200 miles when there is nowhere on their website nor any emails sent after reserving of this. These are out dated cars and not well mechanically maintained. Even the car seats were outdated. Remember, when things are cheaper there is a reason. So be warned if using this rental company. When I return to Skagway I will not be using this rental company again and do not recommend.

• 1 month later...

I used Affordable last year in Skagway and will never use them again.  It was nice that they left the car at the dock but it was not in great shape.  The car had a coolant leak and several other problems that made the car feel very uncomfortable.  

Do yourself a favor and stick with Avis.  I would also recommend Klondike Electric.  Some friends of ours rented a Mustang Mach-E from them and were very happy.  

FWIW, Skagway and Sitka are 2 places I learned the hard way not to rent from the little guys.  

Edited by Aquahound
  • Like 2