ArriveCAN - how to calclate 72 hours - from sailing time or embarq time?

topsailgirl

I am sailing out of Seward and will end the cruise in Vancouver so I will need to submit my ArriveCAN info before I get on the ship in Seward. I understand that. I am having trouble with the 72 hour requirement.  We sail out of Seward at 8:00 p.m. but we will be boarding five hours earlier around 3:00 p.m..  Do I calculate the 72 using the projected sailing time (8:00 p.m.) or the projected time of getting on the ship (3:00 p.m.)?  It might make a difference for us given our pre-cruise travel (which will not be in Canada).

11 minutes ago, topsailgirl said:

I am sailing out of Seward and will end the cruise in Vancouver so I will need to submit my ArriveCAN info before I get on the ship in Seward. I understand that. I am having trouble with the 72 hour requirement.  We sail out of Seward at 8:00 p.m. but we will be boarding five hours earlier around 3:00 p.m..  Do I calculate the 72 using the projected sailing time (8:00 p.m.) or the projected time of getting on the ship (3:00 p.m.)?  It might make a difference for us given our pre-cruise travel (which will not be in Canada).

Your SCHEDULED embarkation time is the end of the clock for testing and ArriveCAN. They mention it specifically, Plain English, on the official Canadian Government page here. Flexibility is applied - but the time you should be entering is the one that is listed on your official documents from the line, e.g. if you are in an embarkation window of 2:30-3:30pm, put down 2:30pm on ArriveCAN.

However, multiple reports of people managing to enter data 96 hours before that deadline for cruises! If it lets you enter the trip-specific data you are good - so give it a try at your precruise hotel 4 days before, if you can't get it done then try at the next one, etc. etc. There should be WiFi at the pier for folks to use, as undoubtedly there will be folks who still have no idea whatsoever about ArriveCAN... look at the thread over on West Coast Departures by @Ferry_Watcher for the shenanigans going on at Seattle Pier 91!

If you download the app and prepopulate all the 'traveler info' long in advance (as in 'go do it right now whydontcha!), you will only need to add details of your specific trip (date, time, method and port of entry) then choose the people traveling from the list of saved travelers on your account. Literally a matter of a minute if you're familiar with the App!

Thanks.  Sorry to be so dense. I had read that before but for some reason, reading directions prepared by others has gotten me confused.( I am traveling with a group of folks and I am the one providing all the info to them on testing , etc. and am trying to be prepared to answer questions.) I have to say, between what the cruise lines require, what Canada requires, and what the US requires, it is amazing that anyone  can manage to not get tripped up somehow! 

• Like 1

The ArriveCAN can be done anytime up to 72 hours prior. To be safe with boarding vs departure, time zones, etc., I just did mine 2 days prior to boarding to be safe. It shouldn’t be an issue unless someone is trying to use the website and print the QR code vs just using the App and showing it on your phone and will be in a travel status and not near a computer / printer in the 72 hours prior to their cruise.

Based on my experience in Seattle on May 2, most will have no clue what ArriveCAN is and will be standing at the pier trying to download and complete it. If you have your ArriveCAN code (and VeriFLY if used by your cruise line) ready, make sure to tell someone when you arrive so you can bypass the mass group of people frantically trying to download and complete it.

No need to apologise @topsailgirl- there are so many possible sources of info, even official sites change so what you read on Day X might be different on Day Y, all you can do is try to check direct with the official sites of government, cruiseline etc. to plan and then double-check again when you get to the ~3 day mark just to make sure no changes! At least ArriveCAN gives notice of changes, so you can check that maybe the week before you cruise to see if there's a planned upgrade close to your date, that might mean better to wait until the app updates than have to do everything twice!

Also, you can fully populate your ArriveCan account site with each of  your travelers and all of their pertinent vaccine and passport information well before the 72 hour limit. It's just your specific travel plans that can't be entered until that 72 hour window. It saves a lot of time if you have your travelers all set up - then you are just going back in to put your travel plans in and answer the health questions.

2 minutes ago, topsailgirl said:

Thanks everybody! You’ve helped lower my stress level! 

If I do it on a computer will it show up on the app when I long in to my account ?

24 minutes ago, dave34 said:

If I do it on a computer will it show up on the app when I long in to my account ?

Yes, that's how I did it. You set up an account and your login works on the computer or app. 

Edited by karatemom2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/18/2022 at 3:21 PM, martincath said:

No need to apologise @topsailgirl- there are so many possible sources of info, even official sites change so what you read on Day X might be different on Day Y, all you can do is try to check direct with the official sites of government, cruiseline etc. to plan and then double-check again when you get to the ~3 day mark just to make sure no changes! At least ArriveCAN gives notice of changes, so you can check that maybe the week before you cruise to see if there's a planned upgrade close to your date, that might mean better to wait until the app updates than have to do everything twice!

I set up my personal info this morning. They just did an update to the app a few days ago. The latest version is 2.29. 

I'm entering Canada by land before my cruise (Sunday evening) So I have between Thursday evening and Sunday evening to put the specific travel info into the app, yes? 

I'm sailing from Vancouver on the following Tuesday. Do I need to do ArriveCan again for embarkation, since I'll already be in Canada? 

My return to Canada from Alaska will be Victoria, followed by disembarkation in Vancouver the following day. Will I have to go into ArriveCan again within 72 hours of arriving in Victoria? 

I don't want to be one of the clueless mass trying to figure out ArriveCan as they wait to embark or disembark. You know, like the people who don't think they have to fill out a Customs form when they return to the US "because I'm an American."

Even those of us who LIVE here have to complete ArriveCAN to board a cruise @3rdGenCunarder!

If your cruise is a Northbound, i.e leaving Canada completely, you might be OK not completing ArriveCAN in Vancouver as that sailing doesn't go anywhere Canadian - in which case you'd instead complete it at turnaround, before embarking for the southbound leg which does. If it's a Round Trip, then you do need to complete it here before boarding, using your Victoria date and time - no ArriveCAN, no boarding any ship that will visit Canada for even a technical stop is the rule.

I'm just waiting to see trip reports from folks who booked B2Bs 'as one cruise' to see if Canadian authorities deem that to mean 'ArriveCAN before boarding leg 1' or 'ArriveCAN before boarding leg 2'... but given the very brief time it takes to add a trip once you have set up the account and the people, until and unless we get a very definitive 'no need for it in circumstance X which equates exactly to yours' why the heck not take the 2 minutes to enter it again and play safe is my attitude!

5 minutes ago, martincath said:

Even those of us who LIVE here have to complete ArriveCAN to board a cruise @3rdGenCunarder!

If your cruise is a Northbound, i.e leaving Canada completely, you might be OK not completing ArriveCAN in Vancouver as that sailing doesn't go anywhere Canadian - in which case you'd instead complete it at turnaround, before embarking for the southbound leg which does. If it's a Round Trip, then you do need to complete it here before boarding, using your Victoria date and time - no ArriveCAN, no boarding any ship that will visit Canada for even a technical stop is the rule.

I'm just waiting to see trip reports from folks who booked B2Bs 'as one cruise' to see if Canadian authorities deem that to mean 'ArriveCAN before boarding leg 1' or 'ArriveCAN before boarding leg 2'... but given the very brief time it takes to add a trip once you have set up the account and the people, until and unless we get a very definitive 'no need for it in circumstance X which equates exactly to yours' why the heck not take the 2 minutes to enter it again and play safe is my attitude!

Thanks! So will the app accept both my border crossing info and my cruise info at the same time (before my land entry), or do I need to do two separate processes and get two separate receipts?

12 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Thanks! So will the app accept both my border crossing info and my cruise info at the same time (before my land entry), or do I need to do two separate processes and get two separate receipts?

Separate! The app only holds ONE trip at a time 'live' - enter a second before you actually cross the border and the previous trip is deleted, so then you'd get the boot on arrival at YVR!!!

Wait until after you have left the airport - seems like you'd be within the 72 hr limit as soon as you do arrive, so you can complete Cruise trip at your leisure.

2 minutes ago, martincath said:

Separate! The app only holds ONE trip at a time 'live' - enter a second before you actually cross the border and the previous trip is deleted, so then you'd get the boot on arrival at YVR!!!

Wait until after you have left the airport - seems like you'd be within the 72 hr limit as soon as you do arrive, so you can complete Cruise trip at your leisure.

Ah, VERY important to do separate entries. Thanks, you are an amazing font of information!

2 hours ago, nursinadream said:

Very good and kind posts here, thanks.  I've gotten as far as downloading the app. Will enter our info soon.

Deb

The initial personal info, passport doesn't take long. Have your passport and vaccination card at hand.  The app will collect your personal info by scanning your passport, but I could not get it to work. I couldn't find a spot that didn't produce glare from the shiny page. But they do let you enter your details manually, so I did that. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sjde said:

Do you need this if getting off the ship in Victoria?

According to instructions received my our line, Oceania, ArriveCAN is needed.  Here's the exact wording:  "If your voyage is traveling to Canada".  Further instructions as noted in above posts.  Victoria is a stop on our Alaska cruise.

15 hours ago, sjde said:

Yes. We got a notice onboard a few days before our Victoria port stop with instructions on how to complete the ArriveCAN requirement. We were already registered, just needed to update our point of entry information for our Victoria date.

20 hours ago, sjde said:

Doesn't matter a jot if you get off or not - the SHIP enters Canada, so either you complete ArriveCAN or you are barred from boarding the ship at all! It's at embarkation that the check is made.

Cunard says here that the pre-boarding submission will cover the whole cruise, which I take to mean that a separate submission from somewhere in Alaska is not required to return to Victoria or Vancouver.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve read what Royal sent and the ArriveCAN website info and it is really confusing as far as WHEN the 72 hour window begins.  I thought it was within 72 hrs before embarkation for the Southbound cruise leaving Seward. But then  I had read that the cruise line only asks to see that you have downloaded the app and on the Day 6 of the daily compass bulletin Royal provides the “destination address” (which is the cruise ship Vancouver port address needed for completing the ArriveCAN.  So it is really is confusing.  I too am bring the information to our larger group so am trying to figure out how to prepare them so we aren’t doing it last minute.  

Canada requires that you complete the ArriveCAN 72 hours prior to boarding a cruise ship which ports in Canada or sails in its waters. As far as exact timing- the website is set up so that you CANNOT complete the form outside of the correct timing. So- if you can complete the form and get your approval you are inside the time required. 

It is my understanding that ships which have not confirmed that passengers have the approval PRIOR TO BOARDING have been fined. And the boarding process severely disrupted when passengers arrive without the approval as they are required to complete the form and get the approval before being allowed to board. 

It does get more complicated if you are going to Canada to board the ship. We arrive in Canada on Thursday, and sail on Friday. We will complete ArriveCAN late on Wednesday which will cover us for both the flight and the ship. I spoke with the ArriveCAN help desk and was assured that the single form would cover both, as long as the timing is good.