Gala Nights on Inside Passage to Alaska

Petrocelli

My wife and I are going on an Alaska Cruise in July.  (Our first cruise ever!)

I have reserved three specialty dining meals:  Tamarind (Monday), Rudi's (Wednesday), and Pinnacle (Friday).  I also purchased Club Orange.  

I am concerned that 

Questions:

• Wednesday is Glacier Bay and Thursday is Ketchikan.  Does anyone presently have any information on which of those two nights will be gala nights?
  • If I am unsure, can I reserve Rudi's on both nights and cancel when I get on board?
  • Is Club Orange that much different on Gala nights?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Edited by Petrocelli

31 minutes ago, Petrocelli said:

My wife and I are going on an Alaska Cruise in July.  (Our first cruise ever!)

I have reserved three specialty dining meals:  Tamarind (Monday), Rudi's (Wednesday), and Pinnacle (Friday).  I also purchased Club Orange.  

I am concerned that 

Questions:

• Wednesday is Glacier Bay and Thursday is Ketchikan.  Does anyone presently have any information on which of those two nights will be gala nights?
  • If I am unsure, can I reserve Rudi's on both nights and cancel when I get on board?
  • Is Club Orange that much different on Gala nights?

Thanks in advance for your help!

On our recent 7 day inside passage on the Zuiderdam the "Dressy nights" in the MDR were on the first and second sea days. 

1 minute ago, Mopree said:

On our recent 7 day inside passage on the Zuiderdam the "Dressy nights" in the MDR were on the first and second sea days. 

Thanks for your response.  Is Glacier Bay a "sea day"?

Also, was Gala Night in the MDR all that different from other nights?

Just now, Petrocelli said:

Thanks for your response.  Is Glacier Bay a "sea day"?

Also, was Gala Night in the MDR all that different from other nights?

Yes, Glacier Bay is a sea day. Beautiful scenery! The former Gala nights are now called Dressy nights or something  like that. We did not attend but ordered the same meal through room service. Prime rib! It was excellent!

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, strickerj said:

I thought a 7-night cruise just had one Gala/“dressy" evening?

Two formal/Gala/Dressy nights on a 7-day cruise has been the standard for as far back as I can remember. 
Several years ago the number of Formal/Gala/Dressy nights was progressively decreased as the length of the cruise increased, though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the responses.

I have read through many discussions on this board, and understand that the second gala night will be either in Glacier Bay (Wednesday) or Ketchikan (Thursday).  Does anyone have insight on when the second gala night is on cruises currently going to Alaska?

Also, I was thinking of simply booking Rudi's on two nights, and cancelling on the non-gala night.  Can I do this without penalty when I board the ship?

18 hours ago, ScoutDiver said:

I am scheduled to go on the Koningsdam on Saturday May 21.   The app is showing Wedneday (Glacier Bay) as the second dressy night. 

Geez.  I researched the forum and folks guessed Gala Nights were the 2nd and 6th night.  I already made my dining reservations and with the HIA specialty dining, I chose it for the Glacier Bay day.  Maybe I'll see how difficult it is to move around...

We were on the Eurodam May 14-21 Saturday-Saturday.  Dressy nights were the second night (Sunday, sea day) and the sixth night (Thursday, Ketchikan).  There was rack of lamb, duck breast & beef tenderloin the first one and prime rib and halibut on the second one as I recall.  Everything we had in the MDR was very good.  Unfortunately there was no creme brulee.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, farjar said:

We were on the Eurodam May 14-21 Saturday-Saturday.  Dressy nights were the second night (Sunday, sea day) and the sixth night (Thursday, Ketchikan).  There was rack of lamb, duck breast & beef tenderloin the first one and prime rib and halibut on the second one as I recall.  Everything we had in the MDR was very good.  Unfortunately there was no creme brulee.  

But were dressy nights actually dressy or was it shorts, tanktops, sweats, and flipflops - because it is my vacation and I will wear what I want.

2 hours ago, RD64 said:

But were dressy nights actually dressy or was it shorts, tanktops, sweats, and flipflops - because it is my vacation and I will wear what I want.

Not when we sailed Volendam back in Aug 2018.  Too chilly for shorts.  People were respectable.  Not like what I see when I go to Walmart.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, RD64 said:

Most women wore dresses, skirts or dress slacks with a fancier top. Some men worn coats and ties while others wore nice pants and shirts.  Didn't see any real "formal" wear except for a few who used the cruise to have professional photos taken.