Question for those who have done BTB (Vancouver/Whittier/Vancouver) Nieuw Amsterdam this year

SharonN

We're booked on the Nieuw Amsterdam June 5th and 12th and just received yet another change in itinerary notice. Instead of leaving Whittier at 10 pm (with an onboard by 9) it is now leaving at 8 with an onboard by 7. We have the 26 Glaciers tour booked directly with the provider since HAL doesn't have any in transit tours available to book that day. They have the 26 Glaciers one but only with an airport transfer which we don't need. I think the tour is supposed to be back by 6 which gave us plenty of time for possible issues to be on board by 9 but not sure if we're cutting it too close with a new 7 pm time. My husband thinks it's too close and wants me to cancel it but that would leave a long day in Whittier with nothing to do/see. Has anyone else done this back to back this year and taken a tour while in Whittier? Just trying to figure out what their routine is for reboarding. 

I can't believe how many changes there have been to such a short cruise. The time leaving Vancouver was also moved up several hours (luckily we're flying in 2 days early) We've also had 5 pre-booked Shore Excursions canceled though were able to find suitable replacements. Even the regular Whale Watching tour in Juneau was canceled but just the time we had booked. 

Edited by SharonN

I’m just finishing up a b2b on the NAmsterdam. Our all aboard in Whittier was 7:30 for an 8 pm departure. The 26 glacier boat is right next to where the cruise ship docks. Two days before we arrived in Whittier they opened up the 26 glacier excursion to in transit guests, but it is more expensive buying it thru HAL. I don’t think you have anything to worry about getting on the ship in time. 26 glaciers does offer a shorter tour as well. We were going to do that one but it was cancelled for unexpected maintenance.

14 minutes ago, GVcruiser said:

I’m just finishing up a b2b on the NAmsterdam. Our all aboard in Whittier was 7:30 for an 8 pm departure. The 26 glacier boat is right next to where the cruise ship docks. Two days before we arrived in Whittier they opened up the 26 glacier excursion to in transit guests, but it is more expensive buying it thru HAL. I don’t think you have anything to worry about getting on the ship in time. 26 glaciers does offer a shorter tour as well. We were going to do that one but it was cancelled for unexpected maintenance.

Thanks! I'm good with paying a bit more to do it thru HAL since they will have to wait for us that way even if we're the only ones. I just don't want any of the extra stress at this point. It's our first cruise since having to get off the World Cruise in 2020 in Freemantle. Was hoping for a more relaxing trip this time but so many extra steps to get thru beginning to wonder if it's going to be worth it. I'm sure it will be but ....

I would call Phillips Cruises, the operator of the 26 Glaciers excursion, and let them know your concern.  Operators throughout Alaska are well aware of the cruise ship schedules and will do EVERYTHING in their power to get you back on time.  My guess is that direct bookers will be sharing the same boat with those that booked through Holland.