Changing cruise close to sailing

jennjess

Does anyone know if it is possible to change your cruise close to sailing.  My son has had an accident and we will need some medical services during the cruise we are booked on.

Just wondered if they would allow us to move the cruise to a different date or whether their medical services are up to his needs?

The Costa website states that a) you need to inform your need for change of the contract within a specified amount of days after you gained knowledge for the need of the change (the exact amount of days varying according to the days left for the start of the cruise). If you want to cancel, you'll be charged a minimum of €50 (if the cruise is more than 45 days away), 25% of the price paid when 44-30 days away, up to 100% when less then 5 days away.

About the medical services, there needs to be a doctor onboard any ship carrying over 12 paying passengers according to international law. Well, even at reduced capacity this applies to any cruise ship. Cruise ship medical centres are often well equipped. You'd probably be best of calling the company to see if they can provide in your sons need.

Check when you booked the cruise. If i remember rightly, you could cancel without any penalty up to 48 hours from departure, depending on when you booked it. They keep changing the rules so its hard to keep up, if you want to cancel give them a ring to see what the rules were when you booked. 

Thanks for the replies.  We are cruising on Saturday so obviously outside the chance of getting any refund.  But it looks like we can still go since I have managed to arrange his medical needs to be taken care of before we leave.  He has a fit to travel letter from the doctor and hopefully won't need any further treatment onboard.

Hope your are enjoying your trip. My son had injured his foot on board and could not walk. Everyone was wonderful to him. Crew members even helped push him around in a wheelchair. Medical facilities on board were also very good.