I'm RUNNING to the ship!

Cruise Cat

Cool Thread!!

I'm sailing out of Fort Lauderdale in November but I live in Australia, so I really don't think that I'm going to make that. LOL

I do want to get back into running though, I had gotten up to doing about 16 k's and then stopped and got fat and lazy.

Now I've started walking again and want to build up back to what I used to be able to do.

Isabel

• 2 weeks later...

Great job DC Walker!!

I am definitely in, I was thinking about doing at least that many steps a day. It's 16,438 kilometers to Miami from here. LOL

HOWEVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, I'm clumsy as, and about a week ago, I fell over my cat while doing yoga. So now I'm in a moon boot and crutches for 5 more weeks.

Lucky I love that furry little jerk!

Isabel

oooh, Violetmoon, so sorry. I hope you're healing well. Moochieg, how long before you're on the move again?

I put in 6 more miles, with my lunchtime companions walking 2 miles each day Mon, Tues, Wed.

This weekend we should have perfect walking weather, so anticipating racking up some mileage.

Good on ya dcwalker!!

You are kicking tooshie and taking names!!

I went for a follow up on my leg on Friday, I'm ok to start putting weight on it as much as comfortable but I still need to keep the moon boot on. :(

First few days of that my leg was really aching towards the end of the day, but it's starting to feel better.

I have another follow up in 3 weeks. Fingers crossed!!

Isabel

Ach. Violetmoon, how's the leg doing? More comfortable? And does "moon boot" have something to do with your name? Have you been in tjis place before? Yes, my fingers are crossed. We need to get you up and running.

OK - here's my story. Walked 5 miles on Tuesday, 2 more each day Wed and Friday.

Ha ha kicking tushie. I love that. I just have to keep doing it. Yesterday I walked a marathon, 26.2 miles, and today a half marathon, 13.1 miles. This weekend was a fund-raising event that I walk in every year. So that's why I've been walking so much (or kicking tushie), to get ready for this weekend. So add those 48 miles to my total and I've only got to go 366 more miles.

Now the trick is to keep taking those long healthy walks even tho my event is over. If I do keep walking I'll get to my cruise months ahead of time. I'm working on a back story about getting close to the port and realizing I have to hurry home and then start running (walking) back to my ship all over again.

Nah, nothing to do with the name, that just happens to be what the boot is called. It's huge and bulky and you use all this velcro to strap it into place. Luckily I can take it off to shower, but I'm supposed to keep it on the rest of the time.

How many hours did it take you to walk the marathon???? OMG I can't even imagine doing that!!!!!

It takes all day. Like I said it's a fundraiser, a big event, lots of people around. About 1000 walkers, people in the streets cheering, rest stops along the way with volunteers managing the water and snacks and port-a-potties. I took me about 10 hours, from 7 until 5. This was my 10th year and by far my slowest - but of course it's not all walking - there are lots of opportunities to take breaks and get distracted. But lately I just can't maintain a fast pace. I used to be able to maintain a 15 minute mile for 15 miles. Not any more.

Then we sleep in a park in tents and walk 1/2 marathon on Sunday. That took me 5 hours.

It is hard to imagine, but if you love to walk (and walk and walk and . . .) then it's do-able.

Anyway - so far this week i've put in another 5 miles

• 2 weeks later...

Friday walked 5 miles, Sat walked 3 miles, Sunday walked 8 miles, Monday 2 miles and today Tuesday 3 miles. 385-21=364 miles to go in 137 days

Anyone ready to start running (walking, biking) to their ship?

Edited by dcwalker