How to upgrade room?

Hi all,

Not a new cruiser but a first time HAL cruiser.

My parents are/have gifted my husband and I return flights to Canada (from Western Australia) and a 7 day Koningsdam inside passage cruise for July 2023.

She booked a veranda stateroom for us (and a separate one for her and dad). I just checked on the two bookings (had to fill out all the passport info etc) and the current rooms we have been allocated are VH4008 andVH4010, which are obstructed views.

Is it possible that our rooms will change given that it is 15ish months before the cruise?

Is there a way to get an upgrade once a booking has been made?

We want to upgrade them to (at least) an unobstructed view as a surprise, given that this is so generous of them.

Thanks.

• Like 2

I am sure there are different ways to upgrade but the one I would suggest is upgrading both of your cabins to Club Orange. This includes several benefits such as priority boarding and on the Koningsdam a separate dining room but most importantly this would allow you to upgrade to the best available cabin in your booked category at no additional charge. So you would be able to move to the best available balcony cabins. 

You can check out all the benefits here;

Club Orange

You will need to contact them to inquire about pricing. The advertised amount is $50 per day per person but I believe I have seen on here that number recently has been more like $25. My next cruise is a longer one and I paid $15 pp/pd.

I don’t know how long you will be able to keep it as a surprise as the cabin number will show up on their booking and of course the number will be on their luggage tags when they print them out but it will be lovely all the same.

One final thought if you do this, is to try and score what HAL consider the second best cabin in this category and ask if there is any aft view cabins available. They provide fantastic views with very little wind and would be amazing in Alaska.

Good luck getting an upgrade and have a great time with your family!!

Rochelle

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I agree, club orange is probably the the way to go.  I believe on the koningsdam all the aft views are vista suites so that’s not an option.  I’ve had a cabin there and there was a lot of vibration.  I’ve had aft cabins on other ships that weren’t like that.

• Like 1

I agree with the Club Orange approach, especially on the Koningsdam which has a separate dining area (for breakfast and dinner) - we really enjoyed this.

Since you are doing Alaska and I assume out of Vancouver, I would go for an aft view cabin (decks 5, 6 and 8 are Verandahs which should be open to you with a Club Orange upgrade.  I would avoid 8, as it is right below the aft pool deck.  I like aft cabins for Alaska due to the great views while cruising the inside passage.  Also, the waters are calmer on this route, so aft should be fine.

Hopefully the cost for CLub Orange will be no more than $25 pp per day.  That seems to be the current going rate.

The Cabin numbers you quoted are not existing. Cabins 4010 and 4008 are not VH cabins They are VF and N.  VF is a balcony with a steel balustrade and N is a inside cabin. both over the noisy main   theatre. 

Thank you everyone.

14 hours ago, crx said:

The Cabin numbers you quoted are not existing. Cabins 4010 and 4008 are not VH cabins They are VF and N.  VF is a balcony with a steel balustrade and N is a inside cabin. both over the noisy main   theatre. 

Oops yes, sorry- the room numbers are 4088 and 4090!