Obtaining a passport

lawsoncd3

Hi all:

Do you folks know of a service (or website) to order passports? I did a search on the web and I'm more confused then ever. They all seem to offer the same service.

Question:

When submitting your birth certificate, do they send the original back?

Passport photos: where is a good place to get them?

Thanks all for the help.

Dona

Dona, you can get all of the paperwork at the local post office. I know that there is a weblink for the form; I am sure someone will post it! You DO get your original birth certificate back. We had our pictures taken at a local AAA travel agency. I have seen advertisements at the local CVS pharmacy for passport photos. I am sure there are lots of places that take them.

Have fun planning your cruise!

Hi all:

Do you folks know of a service (or website) to order passports? I did a search on the web and I'm more confused then ever. They all seem to offer the same service.

Question:

When submitting your birth certificate, do they send the original back?

Passport photos: where is a good place to get them?

Thanks all for the help.

Dona

I ordered mine through the local "main" post office. They have the form(s) necessary to send in with your two photos, birth certificate & $. Have your photos taken at anyplace that offers passport photos. The regional passport processing center will send your original birth certificate back with your passport - it's not an issue.

Dona,

You should also be aware that to get a passport for your child, the other parent will need to be present at the post office when you submit the application. Or, if that is not possible, you will need a notarized form signed by the other parent to present at the post office. They should have all the forms you need there at the PO.

All of the forms are available on the State Department website. Also some post offices also offer passport photo service (call before you go). They cost a little more but you have "one stop" shopping. I can promise you'll most likely hate the picture no matter who takes it. Mine makes my drivers license photo look good.

Hi all,

Does the government consider 18 year olds children or adult? I was assuming Alan was an adult, but maybe it's 21?

Sorry for my ignorance.. I just don't want to get him there to find out that he needs his parents there! That's like getting to the DMV to renew your license, stand in line, get called, and then realize you forgot your money... (don't ask...) LOL

According to the government, you are an adult when you are 18. It is at 18 when you can vote, serve in the Armed Services, or go to the Big House if you commit a crime!:eek: :eek:

Thanks. That's exactly what I thought, but wanted a second opinion as it were. I love the Big House comment. LOL... 18 is a magical age. Does that mean that for graduation present, I can give him a box of Hefty bags to pack!!! JK

Dona

I have been researching this as well. I read on the USPS website that if it is your first passport you can print the docs at home, but you have to go in person (I am going to local post office) to apply for the passports. I think it said that you can only renew a passport or make an amendment to an existing passport via mail. The USPS website has lots of detailed information. Once you get to their website, just search the term 'passport' and the links will lead you to the info you need. Hope this helps. :)

I found this link from the Chicagobar (I am assuming it means the legal bar, not the one on the corner!): http://www.chicagobar.org/public/adult.asp

Yes, it would mean the ILL bar but going to law school here in Nevada, I thought the corner description was really funny. There's probably a few attorney's in the bars...

When you are 16 you get an adult passport which is good for 10 years.

Cost $97.00

Kids and passports really point out the sometimes (often?) illogical nature of our government at work:

dmhoul is, of course, correct - 16 years old gets an adult, 10 year passport.

However, 14 and older does not require both (or even one, actually) parents to appear with them when applying for a passport.

But if they're at least 14 but younger than 18, parental consent might be requested.

And we know that the government really considers you to be an adult at 18.

Wouldn't it be so much easier to just say 18+ is an adult, gets an adult passport, applies like an adult, etc. 17 and under is a minor, gets a minor passport, applies like a minor, etc. Thank goodness we have government to keep us guessing:)

Iif it is your first passport you can print the docs at home, but you have to go in person to apply for the passports.

This is true you need to sign the forms in front of the clerk. Took my DH 6 months to finally go have his picture taken and turn in his application. I had filled out the forms for him but I couldn't do these 2 things for him, yes it irritated me.

Kids and passports really point out the sometimes (often?) illogical nature of our government at work:

However, 14 and older does not require both (or even one, actually) parents to appear with them when applying for a passport.

But if they're at least 14 but younger than 18, parental consent might be requested.

And we know that the government really considers you to be an adult at 18.

Wouldn't it be so much easier to just say 18+ is an adult, gets an adult passport, applies like an adult, etc. 17 and under is a minor, gets a minor passport, applies like a minor, etc. Thank goodness we have government to keep us guessing:)

For many these laws may not make sense. On the 14 year olds and parental consent. In a separated parental situation this is when the child can chose what parent they are with in many states. That is why one signature may be required.

On the photos and expiration a lot has to do with the physical changes children go through. A 10 year passport on an three year old is just not going to work. The children tend to have some resemblemce at age 16, and that is when many get drivers licenses.

Adulthood is at age 18, ships may have their own rules. But for everyting but drinking you are an adult at 18.

For those parents with young children who have an absentee parent. And I have read this a lot here. Go to court, take care of termination. I went through this with my sister on one of her's. That was more for the protection of the child a cruise never came up. But when the chance to cruise did occur after, she had that taken care of. Cruise lines are really strict on permission with children.

I have been researching this as well. I read on the USPS website that if it is your first passport you can print the docs at home, but you have to go in person (I am going to local post office) to apply for the passports. I think it said that you can only renew a passport or make an amendment to an existing passport via mail. The USPS website has lots of detailed information. Once you get to their website, just search the term 'passport' and the links will lead you to the info you need. Hope this helps. :)

I, too, printed out my application at home - as well as taking and printing my own photos. Carried it all to the Post Office, paid 'em, and got the passport and birth certificate in the mail 2 weeks later. Not complicated at all! :)

On the 14 year olds and parental consent. In a separated parental situation this is when the child can chose what parent they are with in many states. That is why one signature may be required.

Ula, I agree with you and understand the concepts, the problem I find is with things like the use of the phrase "might be requested". Unless a non-custodial parent has gone to the unusual effort of alerting local passport acceptance agents (and their are usually numerous ones around metro areas) of some sort of fight -- the person who accepts a 15 year old's passport application is not going to know about any separated parental situations or other similar problems. When might they request parental consent? When won't they? It is just an unnecessarily vague policy that opens the door for arguments and bad feelings.

Archived