Iona Kids Club Cohorts

Ljdoc

I received an email today in regards to the Kids Club on my upcoming cruise in July.

it stated “The current and extraordinary impact of COVID-19 in the UK, in the wider hospitality, service and airline industry as a whole has resulted in a temporary disruption to crew members available to join our ships. Therefore, we are currently operating a reduced service in our children’s club.”

it then states “Children will be allocated a cohort with dedicated sessions throughout your holiday (session availability and length may vary).”

Has anyone who has been on Iona with kids recently any experience of how this worked out in reality and how it was operated?

4 hours ago, Ljdoc said:

I received an email today in regards to the Kids Club on my upcoming cruise in July.

it stated “The current and extraordinary impact of COVID-19 in the UK, in the wider hospitality, service and airline industry as a whole has resulted in a temporary disruption to crew members available to join our ships. Therefore, we are currently operating a reduced service in our children’s club.”

it then states “Children will be allocated a cohort with dedicated sessions throughout your holiday (session availability and length may vary).”

Has anyone who has been on Iona with kids recently any experience of how this worked out in reality and how it was operated?

Basically children are placed in groups and you can only attend when it’s your groups turn. 

I hoped they would have stopped doing this by the summer. This was the case on Britannia as well in April and I met a couple of unhappy parents with multiple kids of different ages as the times were not in sync and therefore always had at least 1 child in tow with them at all times. Back then the night nursery was not available and I guess that may be the same in July. I also felt that it makes the ship more crowded as more children are around the ship because of the reduced kids club. A positive I heard was that the Live Lounge became a kids club with entertainment for all ages combined  (Magicians etc...) up until the late night entertainment - there is a recent cruise blog on here somewhere that gives some more detail. This may be usual though on Britannia when lots of families are onboard.

Managed expectations are the key so as long as parents are prepared for having their children with them more than a usual cruise they can be prepared and maybe pack a few extra things to help them be more entertained.

P&O have been careful to include more family friendly activities, performances and shows on their ships whilst the kids club operates its cohort system.

I’ve heard of science shows, nursery rhymes, arts and crafts, magicians, music etc which can be attended by the whole family.

Thanks All. 

it’s good to know there is additional things to do. We are lucky our boy wants to go to the kids club as he really enjoys it but is happy to spend time with us too. 

Does anyone know how the timings work out each day when you can access the kids club and are you able to change your cohort at the beginning of the cruise. If I knew how the timings worked I was hoping to request more suitable times when I register.