Solo Trip - Independence of the Seas - July 4, 2022

HealthCraig

Hi all!

I’m taking my first solo trip on Independence of the Seas on July 4. Let me know if you’re going to be there! I’m a little nervous about meeting people, especially as a gay man. Share some of your best tips and tricks below for solo travelers, if you don’t mind. I can’t wait to get on board!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2022 at 2:20 AM, HealthCraig said:

Hi all!

I’m taking my first solo trip on Independence of the Seas on July 4. Let me know if you’re going to be there! I’m a little nervous about meeting people, especially as a gay man. Share some of your best tips and tricks below for solo travelers, if you don’t mind. I can’t wait to get on board!!

Go to one of the LGBTQ+ meet-ups, they will definitely have one on board and you will definitely meet some good gay folks to chill with.  Perhaps if sharing a table with others is your thing you can find that as well, not me and my husbands thing but some of our friends like it.  

So, there was an LGBTQ meet up but it was at 10pm which is a bit too late for me.  We did however see a number of couples around the ship and said hi but this was more like a spring break cruise with couples galore.  

Hello,

The LGBTQ+ meets have, over a number of years, moved around the ship with no fixed location. In recent years it has settled in the Champagne / R Bar. It's location can be checked either in the 'Cruise Compass' delivered daily to your cabin or by checking the RCI app (when it's working!!) If the 'Community Notice Board', by Guest relations still operates, you can write a card of your own proposing an alternative time and venue.

There is also a 'solos' daily meeting and lunch together though usually hosted by a youngster from the activities' team that always gave the impression he wished to be somewhere else. But you never know your luck!

One thing of note re your sailing date: I was on Indy departing on 4th July (forget the year) and expected fireworks (at least) and maybe Sousa played over the ship's speakers - but there was nothing and that came as both a surprise and disappointment.

Regards,

Cublet