Tipping for Room Service

1 hour ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Now that's a fine line, and I'm not sure what action would be proper. 

On the one hand, that's not a reasonable amount of time for food delivery, and I'd be tempted to say, "Don't tip."  On the other hand, the staff is overworked, and I think the long time frame might not be the fault of the staff member.

I believe -- given those circumstance -- I'd tip the delivery person, and go to Guest Services and ask for the $7.95 fee to be removed from my bill.  That is, I'd reward the little guy /the guy on the front lines who's working hard, but stick it to (or at least attempt to stick it to) the big company who has created a bad situation without enough workers. 

It was definitely not the delivery persons fault. She was running her butt off trying to get orders delivered and was very apologetic. We felt sorry for her.  We had a Covid issue with crew on our ship on that particular sailing and they were short help as seems to be the case lately. The crew was doing everything possible to take care of guests. Didn’t want this to come back on one of the managers on board either. 

4 hours ago, ldubs said:

I'm not protesting anything and do not understand your questions?   Leaving a penny for a tip is offensively impolite.   If the service is that bad, better to leave nothing.  

Consider, too, that you don't want to mess with people who control your food.  Leaving a penny is an insult, and you'd be insulting the people who would be managing your food for the next 3, 4, 5 days.  Don't think for a moment that the "penny tipper" wouldn't be a topic of conversation in the kitchen. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rudeney said:

Yes, it is per-order, no matter how much is ordered.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/in-room-food-service

As I expected, but thanks for the clarification.  Thanks for the FAQ -- I'm just about to go read it. 

We used to be regular cruisers, but took some time off to put kids through college, then came Covid.  Now we're ready to head out to sea again. 

• Like 1