New to HAL and just booked Zuiderdam for September 21 Alaska - I have questions!

KiwiGal117

Hi everyone:

I'm new to HAL - having only cruised on Royal before (a number of times, so not new to cruising, just to HAL).

I have some questions I am hoping can be answered (I have done a ton of research on here, and YouTube, but not finding the answers I am looking for):

1) how many electrical outlets are there in a VB cabin?

2) are there USB ports, if so where?

3) how is the WIFI - I will need to work a bit each day, is it better to go to the business centre?  We have booked 5186 aft cabin.

4) for the day that the ship is at Tracey Arm/Juneau - has anyone successfully done the Tracey Arm excursion, then made it back to Juneau to do a whale watching excursion?  Is that too much in one day?

5) Does HAL assign boarding times or is it a matter of showing up when you want?

6) any other tips or observations that you feel would be helpful to a first timer??

Thanks in advance.

33 minutes ago, KiwiGal117 said:

Hi everyone:

I'm new to HAL - having only cruised on Royal before (a number of times, so not new to cruising, just to HAL).

I have some questions I am hoping can be answered (I have done a ton of research on here, and YouTube, but not finding the answers I am looking for):

3) how is the WIFI - I will need to work a bit each day, is it better to go to the business centre?  We have booked 5186 aft cabin.

4) for the day that the ship is at Tracey Arm/Juneau - has anyone successfully done the Tracey Arm excursion, then made it back to Juneau to do a whale watching excursion?  Is that too much in one day?

5) Does HAL assign boarding times or is it a matter of showing up when you want?

6) any other tips or observations that you feel would be helpful to a first timer??

Thanks in advance.

I was in VB5185 in April.

1.  Two US and two European outlets at the desk.  Bathroom has US outlet for shavers.

2.  A USB port above each of the nightstands.

3.  WiFi with premium plan was usable but there were unpredictable dead spots/outages/very slow periods. 

4.  ??

5.  Boarding times are assigned by HAL

6.  Here are links to the daily activities and your dining menus:

When & Where       Dining Menus

The links in the lower right corner of this post cover beverages, Room Service, and Specialty Restaurant menus.

Edited by Crew News

1 hour ago, KiwiGal117 said:

Hi everyone:

Thanks in advance.

We were just on the Nieuw Amsterdam 5/15. There were USB ports at the desk, on the lamp, and on the beside table. We were in 7141 aft, I believer that's VB. We used the USB ports, so didn't notice the electrical outlets as much, but I know there was one at the desk. We did not purchase/use the WIFI - although we got messages from the HAL app on our phone every day.

HAL assigned boarding times, which changed a couple of times (within 30 minute window) before departure day.  We checked the boarding time the night before we boarded, showed up just a few minutes early for our assigned 12:40 departure. It was the fastest, most efficient boarding we have EVER experienced (our 7th cruise!). There were no lines, just a couple of people in front of us and we walked from station to station, without stopping, for about 20 minutes until we were on the ship. It was marvelous! I'd recommend doing as much online before you leave home. We did early check in, got QR codes and confirmations online. We showed those QR codes and confirmations and sailed through. We also had paper copies "just in case", but didn't have to show them. When we embarked 5/8/22, we had to have proof of vaccination, proof of negative covid test, and approval from Canadian Immigration. We used ArrCAN, Verifly and uploaded everything into the HAL app. I'd recommend you do the same.

You go to your cabin to get your key which is outside the door. Then you go get your lunch! You'll need the card if you order a cocktail.  We ate in the MDR which was open 11:30 - 1pm, although the Lido deck was open for buffet.  The food was amazing throughout our cruise.  We sailed at 50% capacity, which we didn't know until a few days later. We did notice it was exceptionally uncrowded. That may have changed in the last couple weeks. Our luggage arrived before sailaway, which was a pleasant surprise. We were able to unpack in a leisurely fashion and freshen up for dinner.  The MDR was also not very full at all.

HAL has a much different vibe to the other cruise lines we've experienced. Our cruise had a much older crowd, several walkers and wheels around us. Our sailaway was very quiet, no music on deck, in fact he deck was empty (it was cold!!). There was lots of classes, educational experiences, classical music, BB King Blues club and jazz. 

Have a great cruise!