Viking NAAT Test?

villager13

It is my understanding that Viking will no longer require pre embarkation COVID testing as of today (6/12/22)unless the country (or countries) to which they are going requires it. Is this just a rumor? I hope not!

2 hours ago, Mira28 said:

It is my understanding that Viking will no longer require pre embarkation COVID testing as of today (6/12/22)unless the country (or countries) to which they are going requires it. Is this just a rumor? I hope not!

It’s true.

https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/why-viking/health-and-safety/health-and-safety-program.html

4 hours ago, villager13 said:

I called Walgreens and asked if their NAAT test is a PCR test and they said it is. Results within an hour. they also offer a PCR test that takes 48 hours so I’m confused! 
I plan on doing the NAAT 72 hours before we board to meet Vikings requirements for leaving out of Canada. I hope it’s accepted! 

Walgreens answer was less than informative, as you point out 👿. I remain confused by the same rapid vs 72 hour issues you describe and find their answer is conflicting.

However, now that Viking has ceased their pre-boarding test, you should be subject to the Canadian government rules. Those require proof of vaccination, filling out the ArriveCan app information and either an antigen test 2 days prior to boarding or a molecular test up to 72 hours before.

The good news for you is that Canada accepts numerous molecular tests, not simply PCR ones. From the government website at

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise#requirements

Molecular tests
   • PCR - Polymerase chain reaction
   • Nucleic acid test (NAT) or Nucleic acid amplification test (NAATs)
   • Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP)

>>> Other acceptable types of molecular tests <<<

Given that the rapid Walgreens test is listed as a NAAT, you should be fine with it up to 72 hours in advance. Enjoy your cruise! 🍺🥌

1 hour ago, CurlerRob said:

Walgreens answer was less than informative, as you point out 👿. I remain confused by the same rapid vs 72 hour issues you describe and find their answer is conflicting.

However, now that Viking has ceased their pre-boarding test, you should be subject to the Canadian government rules. Those require proof of vaccination, filling out the ArriveCan app information and either an antigen test 2 days prior to boarding or a molecular test up to 72 hours before.

The good news for you is that Canada accepts numerous molecular tests, not simply PCR ones. From the government website at

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise#requirements

Molecular tests
   • PCR - Polymerase chain reaction
   • Nucleic acid test (NAT) or Nucleic acid amplification test (NAATs)
   • Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP)

>>> Other acceptable types of molecular tests <<<

Given that the rapid Walgreens test is listed as a NAAT, you should be fine with it up to 72 hours in advance. Enjoy your cruise! 🍺🥌

Wow great information! Thank you. 

• Like 2