Airline credit card luggage benefit with Flights by Celebrity?

tabby50894

Has anyone had any experience with getting the airline’s free first bag luggage benefit with their credit card when booking with Flights by Celebrity? Not a huge deal, but when we used FBC this spring we had to pay the luggage fee at the airport. We have another cruise coming up in August and I’m wondering if there’s a way around this. We were passed around from FBC to airline (United) to the credit card company.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tabby50894 said:

Has anyone had any experience with getting the airline’s free first bag luggage benefit with their credit card when booking with Flights by Celebrity? Not a huge deal, but when we used FBC this spring we had to pay the luggage fee at the airport. We have another cruise coming up in August and I’m wondering if there’s a way around this. We were passed around from FBC to airline (United) to the credit card company.

We just show our card when we check in the luggage and they don't charge us.

It depends on the airline. Delta and American you only need to have your frequent flier number on the reservation to get the free checked bag. With United and Jetblue you need to book directly through the airline and pay with the credit card.

Will you get a credit if you pre-pay the bags with the covered card? Is this the Chase card?

The program rules and exclusions for the card should spell out how it works. Likely as not you have to buy the ticket with the card, but I haven't run into this yet.

2 hours ago, tabby50894 said:

In United’s terms it says you have to use the credit card to purchase the ticket in order to get bag fees waived. Since you didn’t pay for the ticket (directly) it won’t qualify. 

***The primary Cardmember of the following United MileagePlus® cards issued by Chase and one companion traveling on the same reservation are each eligible to receive a free first, or first and second, standard checked bag on United- and United Express®-operated flights when the primary Cardmember purchases their ticket(s) with their qualifying United MileagePlus card.

Edited by paulh84

6 hours ago, markeb said:

Will you get a credit if you pre-pay the bags with the covered card? Is this the Chase card?

The program rules and exclusions for the card should spell out how it works. Likely as not you have to buy the ticket with the card, but I haven't run into this yet.

With Chase - no.  Need to purchase with the card to get the benefit.