Which islands can be managed walking direct from the shipzz

Petenviv

Visiting Mykonos, Rhodes, Crete P&O  Arcadia late October. Are any of these accessible ( with walking stick/walking rollator) directly from shipside or alternatively are taxis readily available at the Port. Thank you

In Rhodes the historic centre is in short walking distance. A taxi would be useless. Yet, the streets are partly historic, too, thus I am not sure how comfortable walking is with walking aids.

In Mykonos there are two possibilities.

If your ship is tendering, the tender will dock right in the middle of the town -- of course, you'll have to be able to get into and out of the tender.

If your ship docks, it will be farther away but there is both a shuttle bus (for a small charge, not free) and a boat shuttle that will take you the moderately short distance into town. (I say "moderately short" because it is walkable if you're fit but it's not a pleasant walk even having said that -- I would recommend one of the shuttles.)

Crete has three or four different ports. Which one will you be visiting?

If you dock in Souda Bay for Chania, Crete, you'll need to take a shuttle outside the port fence to Chania, a very pretty city, but one that has a lot of touring options and not particularly easy for people who aren't good walkers.  I didn't see any taxis in Souda, but it may be possible to arrange one in advance, or a tour by car or taxi to somewhere else near by. 

I think there were some taxis (and a couple places to rent cars) in or near the Rhodes port area, but I don't remember for sure.  But the nearest city gate to go inside the walled city was at least a five minute walk from the port, and then inside, unless you go off the beaten path quite a bit, the streets were quite crowded when we were there (mid-May), so not ideal. But maybe late October things would be calmer. From Rhodes, you could probably get a taxi to Lindos, but I don't know how easy Lindos is to explore once you get there.

I haven't been to Mykonos in a while, but remember it as being reasonably easy to walk around there, though I don't remember whether we docked or tendered, and where.... 

On 6/10/2022 at 3:55 PM, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

. From Rhodes, you could probably get a taxi to Lindos, but I don't know how easy Lindos is to explore 

Lindos is not advisable for guests with walking limitations. The major attraction is the walk-up to the Acropolis.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2022 at 8:44 AM, carlmm said:

Lindos is not advisable for guests with walking limitations. The major attraction is the walk-up to the Acropolis.

I agree with this.  The fortress at Lindos is beautiful, but it is a climb.  

Rhodes is great for this.  The historic center is easily walkable (i.e., no large hills), and it is close to the pier (unlike, say, Corfu).  This is likely your best bet to get around on your own if you have limited mobility.

Mykonos Chora, the main town in Mykonos, is easily walkable as well.  However, the bus station at the Old Port (if you are catching the shuttle from the New Port about 2 km away), or the tender dock, is on the north side of the Old Port; you'll need to walk about 300 m to get to the south side of the Old Port, where the Chora is.

BTW, taxis are very limited on the island (supposedly 30), and there is no Uber, Lyft, etc.  The best way of getting around is buses, if you are looking to go beyond Chora.