Fairbanks, Pikes Waterford Lodge .. Room Mishap

LindaD22

We are on a RCI pre-cruise tour, beginning in Fairbanks at Pikes Waterfront Lodge. We checked in yesterday, attended our planning meeting with our tour guide, dropped our things off in the room and went for a walk around the property. When we returned to our room, there were 2 ladies sitting on the beds. One said, “Oh, there’s the lady with the white hoodie (that I had left in MY room). This is our room! You need to go to the front desk.” 

I was beyond shocked, quickly moving to very angry, that these people had been given access to the room, with our things, and that in our absence our bags were unceremoniously moved to another room. Our keys still worked for the room. The front desk did not contact us ahead of time about the situation but instead just allowed us to find out by walking into this situation unaware. 

My husband is unhappy that I voiced my anger to both the ladies (no yelling or cursing, just anger that strangers were in our room) as well as to the front desk. He says that “things happen” and that we may very well continue to see those ladies on the tour a/o cruise. Although, to be honest, I don’t think I would remember what they look like, as my vision was clouded with the shock and anger. 

Has this ever happened to anyone? How did you handle it? Was I unreasonable to be angry?

Yikes, that was not very professional of the Lodge the way they handled this. True, things happen. But to not notify you and to move your things without you being present was not okay in my opinion. I'd talk to the management. And also your key still worked in the door! You could have walked in on anything...not cool.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, steve4031 said:

They should have put the people in the other room and left your belonging alone.  I would would be angry.  I wouldn't worry about what the other people think.  

OP, I agree with this posters post.  If this hotel was booked as part of RCI's tour package, I would let the tour guide know of this situation and how unhappy you are that this happened.  

When you return home, informing Customer Service in Miami would be appropriate.  The company may want to consider a different property if complaints start to arise about the hotel.  To get the best attention of Customer Service, a snail mail letter, sent Certified, Return Receipt Requested will be superior to any phone call or e-mail you send.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LindaD22 said:

My husband is unhappy that I voiced my anger to both the ladies (no yelling or cursing, just anger that strangers were in our room) as well as to the front desk. He says that “things happen” and that we may very well continue to see those ladies on the tour a/o cruise. Although, to be honest, I don’t think I would remember what they look like, as my vision was clouded with the shock and anger. 

Has this ever happened to anyone? How did you handle it? Was I unreasonable to be angry?

I am not sure I would have been angry, but certainly would be irritated.  What explanation was provided by the front desk staff?  If the ladies found inside the room had not instigated the move then I understand why your husband is unhappy that you "voiced my anger to both the ladies."  The irritation should have been voiced to the front desk staff.

We periodically stay at the Princess McKinley View Lodge when driving from Seward to our home in Fairbanks.  Every time we have stayed there something odd happens.  While the incidents most frequently are about food, one time we were given keys to a room which had belongings in it.  Fortunately no one was in the room when we opened the door, but the front desk staff person almost challenged us and reacted as if he didn't quite believe us.  I felt like telling him to go to the room so he could verify that suitcases were in it.

Update: I politely talked to the hotel manager this morning. She said she had received a text last night about this situation but didn’t know the details, so she asked me to walk through exactly what had happened. She agreed that it was not handled properly and apologized. I asked for complimentary breakfast tomorrow as consideration and she, of course, graciously agreed. Still no explanation on how this happened, but we have moved on from the shock!

Tomorrow we move on to Denali and are very much looking forward to that part of the tour! Thanks to all for validating that I wasn’t unreasonable to be upset about this mishap. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, LindaD22 said:

Still no explanation on how this happened, 

I wonder:  using seasonal employees (as they may be doing) as well as local citizens, how well trained may they be?  Given what seems to be the very acute labor shortage in Alaska, are some establishments needing to hire some whom they normally would not hire?  

Pike's Waterfront is open year round.  While the hotels in the "glitter gulch" in Denali and the Princess properties (even the one in Fairbanks) close for the winter season Pike's does not.  It is open all year long. 

But our labor shortage here is acute and simply stunning.  There was another article in today's local newspaper that the school bus contractor is already telling the school district that the bus contractor believes they can only run 100 of the 130 Fairbanks school bus routes.  

I suspect that some businesses are having to hire folks they may have rejected in the past.  We also have businesses which in the past were open 7 days a week but are now open 6 days.  An example is the stand-alone restaurant associated with Pike's Waterfront.  Due to the labor shortage Pike's Landing is now closed on Sundays.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1