RC app

Hello. We sail on Allure on July 9th. We haven't sailed since 2005. I have the RC app on my Iphone with all four of us on it. My husband and my two daughters ages 13 and 16. Do we all need the RC app on our phones? I did purchase Voom surf and stream for 4 devices. My 16y/o wants to be able to text/talk to her BF. How can my 16y/o talk and/or text to her BF? I do NOT want to pay for a huge cell phone bill. Can she talk over whats app? Or discord? Thank you for your replys

1 minute ago, eabplus2 said:

Can she talk over whats app? Or discord?

All those, yes, but probably the easiest is to set up wifi calling before you leave (and try it on land).

No, you don't need the app on all the phones, but it may make things a bit easier.

Edited by Biker19

If her boyfriend has an iPhone, iMessage works over the internet, not cellular like SMS texting, so they can text.

FaceTime also works over wifi... if you don't mind your daughter video chatting with her boyfriend. 🙈

Edited by OCSC Mike

We have AT&T for our phone service.  We buy the Surf & Stream Voom pkg.  once onboard we put our phones in Airplane Mode (very important!), and turn on WiFi calling.  We can then use our phones just as we would at home for texts and phone calls….

Yes this is what I am told. To put phones in airplane mode and set up the Voom surf and stream. I don't even know how to set up wi-fi calling. Her boyfriend has an andriod phone. He will be working. She said she can use discord or what'sup app. I just dont' want a $$$ when we come home. We have Verizon. If only my husband and I were going I wouldn't have even purchased Voom. 

52 minutes ago, eabplus2 said:

If only my husband and I were going I wouldn't have even purchased Voom. 

You could then cut back to a two device package and borrow it from the kids for the few times you need it - let that sink in for min. 

Your provider probably has a tutorial for setting up wifi calling.