Cruisers over 50 and testing

Caps_Shield

Carnival and the CDC don't seem to be very clear on if you need the second booster if you are over 50 or not.  Are there any over 50 people here, who have cruised lately, who can help me?  Not sure when to tell my 50+ people to test, Wednesday or Thursday.  Hoping they can do Wednesday but I think they have just a single booster.

The disconnect here is the CDC says you need a second booster to be up-to-date.

Carnival uses the same verbiage as the CDC (they say up-to-date on their COVID policies page) but they don't use the same definition of up-to-date. You only need one booster to be up-to-date in Carnival's eyes.

"Up to date means a person has received all recommended COVID-19 vaccinations, including any booster dose, when eligible."

(notice the singular plural)

However - this could change tomorrow (and we have seen their rules change overnight) so it's up to you what you recommend they do. I would tell them to either get a second booster or plan on testing two days out.

https://www.carnival.com/Legal/covid-19-legal-notices/covid-19-guest-protocols?icid=advisory_cruisehealth_040122

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Caps_Shield said:

Carnival and the CDC don't seem to be very clear on if you need the second booster if you are over 50 or not.  Are there any over 50 people here, who have cruised lately, who can help me?  Not sure when to tell my 50+ people to test, Wednesday or Thursday.  Hoping they can do Wednesday but I think they have just a single booster.

Cruised last month. Single booster. Did the eMed proctored test 3 days prior to cruising. No fuss no muss. And while we are in that 50+ age group, i'm not sure that mattered as the requirement that we followed was, just that, the requirement. If there are age testing requirement differences based on age, I did not see them.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, tap_out said:

You can still cruise with no booster correct? just means the testing deadlines are different?

Some cruises, namely those in Europe and the longer Transpacific voyages, are requiring a booster. But generally no you don't need a booster. Reference Carnival's COVID policies page for a list.

• Like 1

2nd booster does not  matter . if you are eligible for booster just one is considered fully vaccinated in Carnivals eyes. i have taken 3 cruises on carnival  in the last 3 months  and the last on being April 30th as of that time i tested 3 days before and had no problem. Before my last cruise i called and talked to 3 different people who informed me the second booster at this time is not needed. They told me it could change . but as of now no changes