Florida Airport help

luv2craft

Hi

We are booking a last minute (well for me it feels like last minute) :D

cruise for April. It leaves from Miami. We will be flying out of Boston. In order to get a nonstop flight and not have to give up my first-born :eek: (lol) I would have to fly into West Palm Beach. The cruise departs at 5pm and the flight would arrive around 11am.

I have two questions (as this is my first cruise in 10 years.)

1) is there an affordable/efficient method of getting from WPB to Miami?

2) Am I leaving myself enough time?

My second affordable option would be to fly into Ft. Lauderdale. arriving around 12:45. but that would be after a long layover...etc...

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks so much!!!

Kerry

Massachusetts

The most economical method would be renting a car. It's an easy drive, plan on 2 hours minimum.

2) Am I leaving myself enough time?

It's doable but I wouldn't do it. Too many things can go wrong to delay you.

My second affordable option would be to fly into Ft. Lauderdale. arriving around 12:45.

FLL is 45 minutes from Port of Miami, a shuttle service costs $18 per person.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks so much!!!

Kerry

Massachusetts

If there is any way you can fly in the day before do so......so many people missed the boat with the last snowfall y'all experienced. I prefer to be at the port by 11am and on the buffet line by noon. ;)

Renting a car is low cost, however, the absolute cheapest is taking Tri-Rail.

The one-way cost from WPB to Miami is $5.50 plus the taxi cost to get you to the Port. If you want to explore this option go to their website at http://www.tri-rail.com/

Renting a car is low cost, however, the absolute cheapest is taking Tri-Rail.

The one-way cost from WPB to Miami is $5.50 plus the taxi cost to get you to the Port. If you want to explore this option go to their website at http://www.tri-rail.com/

OMG no!!! Tri-Rail is cheap but if someone sneezes too hard, the whole system breaks down. I would only recomment Tri-Rail as a last resort!!! :eek: :(

As you likely know, Tri-Rail does have reliability concerns. Even though passenger trains are supposed to have priority over freight trains, the operation is provided by CSX and their dispatching operation is based in Jacksonville. My post was directed more to the issue that "the most economical method" to get from WPB to Miami could involve means other than renting a car (or relying on friends/relatives to drive one for free). There is also the issue of luggage. But, the OP or others may be arriving a day early to take advantage of reduced airfares that may not be available to MIA, and so the reliability issue is essentially moot.

Point taken, it's just that the OP made no mention of arriving a day early and I would not recommend doing TriRail the same day. However, I suppose if something did go wrong and as long as they weren't stranded on the train they could alway call for a cab to get them to the port.

Thank you all so much for your advice. I have decided to fly into Ft Lauderdale. It is not a nonstop flight :( but it seems like a better plan.

One more question, (for tonight! LOL!)

The itinerary shows that we will arrive back in Miami around 8am. a Saturday) I know this can only an approximate time. So what is the earliest flight I should even think about catching home from Ft Lauderdale? I don't want to be rushed...but I also don't want to be hanging around the airport all day if I needn't have to. KWIM?

I feel so ignorant about all this :o and really do appreciate any of your expertise! (We have been only on one other cruise and that was 10 years ago. YIKES!)

Thanks again,

Kerry

The itinerary shows that we will arrive back in Miami around 8am. a Saturday) I know this can only an approximate time. So what is the earliest flight I should even think about catching home from Ft Lauderdale?

12 noon is doable, BUT.....your safest bet would be from 1pm on. ;)

Archived