Iona MDRs - which do you prefer and why?

Muckyduckway

I buried this question on another thread so thought I might get some responses if I posted it separately.

I've had a look at the four MDRs so know what they look like and am aware they all serve the same menu.  Apart from the views and availability, is there anything that would make you choose one for dinner over the others? 

I could just go and try them out, but on a seven day cruise there's just not enough time to waste!

TIA

For me, Aqua and Opal are darker however the flip is that one of these typically has the better sunset.

Aqua and Opal also have more bench seating against walls and divides. I also find that their waiters stations tend to be closer to the diners.

I find that Pearl and Coral tend to be noisier. I prefer the décor in Pearl and Coral.

If you are in a wheelchair, then I find that Pearl and Coral tend to have easier access and more table options.

They are all served from the same galley. Each restaurant has its own dedicated waiting team. Staff can move between restaurants but not daily, more like every 8 weeks to rotate. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, molecrochip said:

I find that Pearl and Coral tend to be noisier. I prefer the décor in Pearl and Coral.

If you are in a wheelchair, then I find that Pearl and Coral tend to have easier access and more table options.

That’s useful info. Instinctively, we would use the smaller / quieter restaurants, but my wife is in a wheelchair. Would Aqua and Opal still be able to accommodate us (there are 6 of us travelling together)?

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

That’s useful info. Instinctively, we would use the smaller / quieter restaurants, but my wife is in a wheelchair. Would Aqua and Opal still be able to accommodate us (there are 6 of us travelling together)?

We used all 4 MDRs with the 6 of us including  mum in a wheelchair. It was sometimes a bit of a squeeze to get the wheelchair back out once we’d finished, but other passengers were very kind and accommodating and shifted their seats if necessary. I don’t remember Opal or Aqua being more difficult with the wheelchair. than Pearl or Coral.

When you book a table on the app or join a virtual queue it asks if you require a wheelchair space.

I didn’t have a preference but my dad and brother in law both said they preferred the Opal restaurant, smaller and quieter. We only used Aqua for afternoon tea.

Also, we generally ate between 6:30 and 7:30 and never waited more than 5 minutes in a virtual queue before getting a table.

Edited by SarahHben
Brain not working
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

We used all 4 MDRs with the 6 of us including  mum in a wheelchair. It was sometimes a bit of a squeeze to get the wheelchair back out once we’d finished, but other passengers were very kind and accommodating and shifted their seats if necessary. I don’t remember Opal or Aqua being more difficult with the wheelchair. than Pearl or Coral.

When you book a table on the app or join a virtual queue it asks if you require a wheelchair space.

I didn’t have a preference but my dad and brother in law both said they preferred the Opal restaurant, smaller and quieter. We only used Aqua for afternoon tea.

Also, we generally ate between 6:30 and 7:30 and never waited more than 5 minutes in a virtual queue before getting a table.

Thanks Sarah, that’s really useful. Can I just ask, when you booked a table and ticked the box for a wheelchair user, did you find that you were always seated alongside walkways or anywhere in the restaurant (within reason)? One of the things that we really hated on Arcadia was that they kept seating us alongside the main walkway that encircles the MDR and it was like dining on the hard shoulder of the M25 😂 

We used the Opal MDR each night on our cruise and Mum was in a wheelchair too. I couldn't use the app to book. The first night we just turned up and got seated, the next night we just asked for the same table and time again. After the second or third night the staff on the reception desk just automatically booked us the same table at the same time each night, unless we said differently.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

Thanks Sarah, that’s really useful. Can I just ask, when you booked a table and ticked the box for a wheelchair user, did you find that you were always seated alongside walkways or anywhere in the restaurant (within reason)? One of the things that we really hated on Arcadia was that they kept seating us alongside the main walkway that encircles the MDR and it was like dining on the hard shoulder of the M25 😂 

No we sat in all different areas, only once on the main thoroughfare I think. We asked for a window seat sometimes, which was probably why it was harder getting out 🤣

• Like 2

We came off Iona just a week ago. We much preferred the Coral and Pearl MDRs…they were larger, lighter and more airy, and at the back of the ship with more window tables. Aqua and Opal were much smaller and seemed darker…but some folk reckoned more intimate and service better. We had no oroblems with service at all. Our absolute favourite was Pearl on deck 6…. Ask for  a table near the window and at worst you get a double height ceiling table, near the windows.

• Like 2

Would you say the table spacing is the same at all of them? Not a big fan of two person tables positioned so close you might as well just share a table 🙂 Although to be fair it has resulted in some good chats!

Also, same dress code for all?

I generally find that Opal and Aqua are closer bunched together. They operate in a very much square pattern of tables laid out. Certainly in Aqua, there is an initial section of tables where one side is sat against the aisle.

Pearl and Coral have some sweeping walkways and some sweeping dividers to break up the bigger space. This means that there can be more room around a table. I therefore think wheelchairs have more space in Pearl and Coral.

Restaurant managers are very good. If you really want the same table, at the same time every night, go talk to them. They will do their best.

• Like 3

Are any of the dining rooms more suited to larger size parties than the others?

I ask as we shall be cruising on Iona in July and there are seven persons in our party. 

I note that there is still a requirement to book your table in advance using the on board intrenet system. However I see that you can only book a table for a maximum of six persons using this system, so presumably we will either need to just turn up at the restaurant door and request a suitable size table or we will need to phone ahead to make our reservation.