Norwegian Fjords - Advice re shore excursions Molde and Alesund

We are doing a Norwegian Fjords cruise in mid August and will be visiting Molde, Alesund, Flam and Stavanger. This is what I have booked so far:

Flam: Flam Railway and visit to Stegastein viewpoint

Stavanger: RIB boat to Lysefjorden 

So we have an mountain view excursion in Flam and water excursion in Stavanger.

We need to finalize tours for Molde and Alesund. In Alesund I really would like to do the boat day trip from Alesund to Geiranger which is timed

for the cruise ship, as I read the views are spectacular and one of the best areas to visit.

We are also interested in the Trollstigen tour which operates from Alesund and takes about 6 hours. There is a similar tour from Molde that is 2 hours longer, and only available through the cruise ship from what I can find. Ideally I think it would be good to split a water vs mountain tour in each of these ports, but would be interested in others opinions 

My questions for those who have been there, are:

1. In Alesund would the geiranger day trip be your first choice over the trollstigen tour?

2. in Molde, is it worth doing a tour to trollstigen (8 hours round trip)?

3. Or would people recommend abandoning geiranger day trip and doing trollstigen from Alesund?

4. In Molde, is the Atlantic coast trip worth doing or is it not as impressive as the trollstigen trip!

Thanks 

We did the trip Alesund to Geiranger a few years ago,  as a ship excursion, it will be a full day.

Yes absolutely worth doing it, also because the bus will use some ferries to get there. We loved it.

The 2nd time in Alesund we  rented a car and drove to Trollstigen., this will depend how much time you will have in Alesund. We also loved that. On the way back we also visited the viewpoint on Mt. Aksla. Avis was (and probably still is) walking distance from the ship. 

To answer your question, yes Geiranger nr. 1 and Trollstigen nr. 2

We never visited Molde.

Edited by Ine

• 7 months later...
On 6/13/2022 at 9:45 PM, Deano68 said:

We are doing a Norwegian Fjords cruise in mid August and will be visiting Molde, Alesund, Flam and Stavanger. This is what I have booked so far:

Flam: Flam Railway and visit to Stegastein viewpoint

Stavanger: RIB boat to Lysefjorden 

So we have an mountain view excursion in Flam and water excursion in Stavanger.

We need to finalize tours for Molde and Alesund. In Alesund I really would like to do the boat day trip from Alesund to Geiranger which is timed

for the cruise ship, as I read the views are spectacular and one of the best areas to visit.

We are also interested in the Trollstigen tour which operates from Alesund and takes about 6 hours. There is a similar tour from Molde that is 2 hours longer, and only available through the cruise ship from what I can find. Ideally I think it would be good to split a water vs mountain tour in each of these ports, but would be interested in others opinions 

My questions for those who have been there, are:

1. In Alesund would the geiranger day trip be your first choice over the trollstigen tour?

2. in Molde, is it worth doing a tour to trollstigen (8 hours round trip)?

3. Or would people recommend abandoning geiranger day trip and doing trollstigen from Alesund?

4. In Molde, is the Atlantic coast trip worth doing or is it not as impressive as the trollstigen trip!

Thanks 

Your post has given me SO MUCH information!!! Thank you! I am trying to decide what to do in each port also. From you I learned that we can go on the Trollstigen excursion from either Alesund or Molde. (Carnival isn't going to post excursions until 90 days before the cruise.)

Do you have any insights or advice? We are going to be going to:

Day 3 - Bergen

Day 4 -Alesund

Day 5 - Molde  
Day 6 - Olden  
Day 6 - Cruise Nordfjord

Day 7 - Skjolden

Day 7 - Cruise Sognefjord

Day 8 - Haugesund

While in Flam we did the train up and biked down... it was really beautiful and fun.  (also in Flam I would recommend getting up early - maybe real early when the ship enters the Fjord to enjoy the cruise into the deep fjord on way to Flam.)

We also did the Trollstigen as a cruise excursion.  My expectations were not that high, but it turned out to be a great excursion, I thought.   Lots of inland scenery... sweeping views of the valleys, etc.  ...a great day.

I have not been on the Geiranger excursion, but that sounds awesome too !

Good luck !