DVDs/Memory cards and airport x-rays

love2vacation

OK, got the new camera (Kodak Z730) and the Roadstor, DVD's to burn my pics on while on the ship. I am good to go in just 12 days!

But I have a question- This may be a dumb one, so I will apologize before hand, but is there anything I need to know about carrying DVDs and memory cards with pics on them through airport security or x-ray machines? I would hate to burn all those pics and then have them wiped out by the airport security!:eek:

Hi Judi,

Digital storage media is not susceptible to X-ray damage. Unlike in the film days, you should not have a problem. The main problem I see is the 12 days until departure. You have quite a task ahead of you. Practice, practice and practice. Don't wait until the cruise to learn your camera. I assume you are new to digital photography. If not then please forgive me.

Thanks tater-

I thought I wouldn't have a problem, but wanted to check for sure. If something stupid is going to happen, it will be to me! I didn't remember it being a problem with the cards, but wasn't sure about the DVDs. Duh!:cool:

Actually, this is my second digital. My DH gifted me with my first one more than three 1/2 years ago. It still take great pics if you are only going to print 4x6s or 5x7s. I took both on our first cruise in 03 and found that the digital took better pics than the 35m so I don't even take my 35m anymore.

I have taken pictures in many types of lighting, and used the video feature on the new Kodak. It works so nicely, and I am happy not to have to lug along the camcorder.

Thanks again for confirming my assumptions.

Hi Judi, I also found it useful to have a couple of extra batteries all charged and ready to go... also bought a couple of extra memory cards as they do fill up and you don't want to miss anything while downloading to DVD/CD... Have a great trip!

Thanks for the thoughts and cruise wishes. It won't be long now and I will be taking awesome pictures on vacation!

I have a 1GB card for the new Kodak and that should at least get me through the day! I also purchased a Roadstor and I will be able to copy my pics from both cameras on to DVDs and view on the cabin TV. Now I hope I remember how to hook the Roadstor to the TV! :rolleyes: (The problem is every TV is a bit different.)

I actually got the idea off the Photo Gallery Thread on this site.

It will play DVD and Cd's when hooked up to your computer, TV or VCR. It will accept several different types of memory cards. This is the feature I like because my two cameras take different cards!:rolleyes: I can put in my memory card and burn a DVD of photos taken on the card, and I can also plug the Roadstor into the cabin TV and view my photos on the TV. I could also bring along DVDs to watch.

I got mine off e-bay. If you go to the Photo Gallery and do a search you should be able to find the thread about the Roadstor. I think they run around 300.00 in stores, but I got a brand new one for 52.00 by bidding on e-bay. It is much smaller than lugging along a laptop.

Archived