RCCL's Dancing With the Stars

CruiserTK

A suggestion for RCCL: Considering the enormous popularity of Dancing With the Stars, what if RCCL offered ballroom dancing lessons during the week (taught by professionals, of course), followed by a "talent show"/contest, or something of that nature by the end of the cruise? I'm sure the creative minds could come together and think of some ingenious way of handling this. What do you think?

What an interesting idea. I would think there would be some sort of interest. I've seen several businesses cash in on the "Dances with Stars, Skating with Celebretries and American Idol" ideas. Last year when I graduated from pre-law, the school had a try-out for signing the national athem. A lot of graduates showed up and it was a blast.

Dona

A few of the cruises I've been on have offered lessons for an hour or so one afternoon - they seemed pretty popular. I'm not sure how thrilled people would be with the competition at the end though...

Ugh, no. We take a lot of the ballroom dancing classes, but I'm content with dancing at the Captain's reception and other venues around the ship. Competing would just ruin it - who need to be all worked up & competitive on a cruise?

Besides, I think it would be the dance version of karaoke - too many Kenny (he was the first one bounced, right?) and Master P's and not enough Staceys and Drews. :eek:

I would do it..... My husband and I have looked everywhere around here for ballroom lessons and nobody close has them.... I would love it :)

Jen

Adventure of the Seas…. 67 days!

Jewel of the Seas September 2005

Explorer of the Seas January 2004

Voyager of the Seas October 2002

Monarch of the Seas July 1994

What an interesting idea. I would think there would be some sort of interest. I've seen several businesses cash in on the "Dances with Stars, Skating with Celebretries and American Idol" ideas. Last year when I graduated from pre-law, the school had a try-out for signing the national athem. A lot of graduates showed up and it was a blast.

Dona

I meant singing... not signing.

I would LOVE that. I've been wanting to do that for the longest time. hope they hear ya.

A suggestion for RCCL: Considering the enormous popularity of Dancing With the Stars, what if RCCL offered ballroom dancing lessons during the week (taught by professionals, of course), followed by a "talent show"/contest, or something of that nature by the end of the cruise? I'm sure the creative minds could come together and think of some ingenious way of handling this. What do you think?

In March 05, the Grandeur of the Seas hosted an American Idol type show. It was great! Actually had some really great singers and also a few "William Hungs"(sp). Most of the performers were very talented. They had so many people sign up they held it 2 times and then had the finalle in the main showroom. We enjoyed it so much we never missed a show.

Ballroom dancing is definitely not confined to the grey-haired set. Take a look at the popularity of the last Dancing with the Stars session. Those were YOUNG celebrities. Clearly, the show had a huge following.

jerry rice? kenny mayne? tatum oneal? lisa rinna? george hamilton? they aint young, and they aint celebrities (although i respect rice).

i guess the guy who won is young, but hes the brother of another "never was..." :D

jerry rice? kenny mayne? tatum oneal? lisa rinna? george hamilton? they aint young, and they aint celebrities (although i respect rice).

i guess the guy who won is young, but hes the brother of another "never was..." :D

Compared to what most people think about ballroom dancing the majority of the most recent Dancing with the Stars were indeed of a younger generation and those listed are indeed celebrities even though you may not consider them so. Just sit back and take a look at their HUGE following. The only people of that group that weren't well know were Kenny and that "P" guy and in the right circles I would imagine they could very well be popular too. So I would indeed regard them as celebrities and defend what CruiserTK had to say about Young Celebrities.

My wife and I are both VERY interested in such a venture. We are both 35 so once again in ballroom years we are a bit young (although not as young as I would like to be). Due to the popularity of Dancing with the Stars many dance studios all over the country are now booked to capacity and even have a waiting list. Just a couple of years ago they were barely pulling enough students to even justify teaching ballroom dancing (in fact many were not even having those classes due to lack of interest). We are currently in the process of finding a studio in our area that has any capacity to start taking our own lessons.

Even if it's not for you that doesn't mean you need to be critical or try to take apart what someone else has posted. It's all based on each person's personal opinion and if you're not interested just state that and go on.

Climbs down from My soapbox and closes My over-active mouth

Have a great day and Cruise Happy :)

Allen

Even if it's not for you that doesn't mean you need to be critical or try to take apart what someone else has posted. It's all based on each person's personal opinion and if you're not interested just state that and go on.

Allen

I wasn't being critical or taking anything apart. It's an exchange of opinions. You have your thoughts and I have mine. Ignore me if you disagree. It's cool; I don't mind. Mine are pretty meaningless. But I'll continue to state them. :)

LOL - exactly! Sounds great for the X or HAL crowd...

Umm----did you happen to see Drew and his partner do "Save a Horse,Ride a Cowboy"?? No way is that for the HAL crowd!! :D

I,for one,would like the lessons,but no competition......

Umm----did you happen to see Drew and his partner do "Save a Horse,Ride a Cowboy"?? No way is that for the HAL crowd!! :D

Oh BOY did I! Can you say Gitty Up

Allen :)

My jaw was on the floor for a while after that routine - just loved it!

I enjoy the lessons, I just wouldn't want to compete afterward. We've seen everything from disco to line dancing to swing & cha cha offered on board. It's a great way to burn off some cruise indulgences without feeling as if you're actually exercising.

I'm a HAL fan, trying RCCL for the first time in May.

HAL actually has had an American Idol type show for more than a year. I have attended some of these shows. It is a very successful evening activity and very enjoyable. There has been some really remarkable talent - of all ages - in these shows.

BTW - I have taken napkin folding and sarong-tying classes on HAL I used the sarong-tying skills, have never done the napkin folding.

Archived