Discovery Princess- Go with an Obstructed Deluxe Balcony/DW or Guarantee Balcony/BF?

The Collie

Both are the same price. I looked at photos and E101-E110, L103, L104, M101-M104 (all listed as DW) seem to have great views where you are not obstructed due to lifeboats or equipment. I think they are only listed as obstructed due to having metal balconies I take it?

If you book a category BF balcony, I know you can be upgraded but can you also end up with an obstructed view?

I'm not a big fan of guarantees, since I can usually find at least one cabin in the booked category or above that I wouldn't want to have.

I was on a cabin crawl some years back, probably Royal Princess but cabins should be the same, and I see in my travel notes that I rated E107 as very good. It had a larger balcony than many on the Royal Class and no obstructions. Interestingly, you got a good view of the bridge from there. I would definitely book that one if I were looking at this type of cabin, or one nearby. Good location in my opinion.

• Like 1

Hi @The Collie, I suggest you book the DW, it has the extra sofa so another place to sit and slightly larger. Depending on the itinerary, the forward facing DW’s have great sized balconies, but can be very windy. Being forward, you are also subject to more ‘motion’

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, wallyj said:

Hi @The Collie, I suggest you book the DW, it has the extra sofa so another place to sit and slightly larger. Depending on the itinerary, the forward facing DW’s have great sized balconies, but can be very windy. Being forward, you are also subject to more ‘motion’

It's an Alaskan cruise and says: PART OBSTRUCTED VIEWNON-GLASS BALC RAIL/BALCONY ACCESS WHEN IN PORT ONLY

s

Does this mean the attendant will lock my balcony door on sea days? Thank you!

46 minutes ago, The Collie said:

It's an Alaskan cruise and says: PART OBSTRUCTED VIEWNON-GLASS BALC RAIL/BALCONY ACCESS WHEN IN PORT ONLY

s

Does this mean the attendant will lock my balcony door on sea days? Thank you!

No, the cabin steward will not ‘lock’ the balcony door for access. This has been reported on many other threads regarding the forward facing balconies and some of the forward cabins. If you have one of the forward DW’s you are asked to keep your curtain closed at night so the light from your cabin does not cause issues with the ‘bridge’. 

• Like 1