New Zealand removes Covid pre departure tests

Redking

16 hours ago, Redking said:

Update for anyone planning a trip to our beautiful shores:

https://covid19.govt.nz/news-and-data/latest-news/pre-departure-tests-removed-from-june-20/ 

I feel really dense but since I am not familiar with New Zealand protocols I am having trouble understanding what  this mean.

Is this referring to coming to New Zealand or before you leave New Zealand, just not sure what the pre-departure

1 hour ago, Peteymil said:

I feel really dense but since I am not familiar with New Zealand protocols I am having trouble understanding what  this mean.

Is this referring to coming to New Zealand or before you leave New Zealand, just not sure what the pre-departure

For what it is worth, I wanted to let you know that you are not alone in your confusion. My guess is that you and I would most likely refer to this test as "pre-arrival" rather than pre-departure. Somehow, this announcement is good news, so I will just accept that for whatever it is. 

• Thanks 1

The way I read it, no longer required a test prior to flying into NZ.  It was similar to the USA requiring covid test one day prior to flying into the U.S.  That requirement has since been lifted.  

It would be very difficult for a cruise ship to test everyone the day before a port visit.

3 hours ago, Peteymil said:

1 hour ago, SFCAcruiser said:

For what it is worth, I wanted to let you know that you are not alone in your confusion. My guess is that you and I would most likely refer to this test as "pre-arrival" rather than pre-departure. Somehow, this announcement is good news, so I will just accept that for whatever it is. 

Sounds like good news however I'm still a bit confused.  Does this mean we don't need a test before we get off the ship to go ashore in NZ, but we will still need a test before we are allowed on the ship in Sydney so may still be turned away and not get to go our cruise?

Edited by justhappytobehere

1 hour ago, Wineaux007 said:

The way I read it, no longer required a test prior to flying into NZ.  It was similar to the USA requiring covid test one day prior to flying into the U.S.  That requirement has since been lifted.  

It would be very difficult for a cruise ship to test everyone the day before a port visit.

Correct.

• Host Jazzbeau changed the title to New Zealand removes Covid pre departure tests
On 6/16/2022 at 10:38 AM, Redking said:

Update for anyone planning a trip to our beautiful shores:

https://covid19.govt.nz/news-and-data/latest-news/pre-departure-tests-removed-from-june-20/ 

Hi,  my husband & I just returned (on Saturday) from NZ.  Had a fantastic time and loved it, we are now putting together a list of must-sees which we missed on our recent trip.  Pity we went a little bit early and missed the deadline for not having to do the pre-departure tests.  At least when we return in 2024 it will be easier!

• Like 1

On 6/17/2022 at 7:11 AM, justhappytobehere said:

Sounds like good news however I'm still a bit confused.  Does this mean we don't need a test before we get off the ship to go ashore in NZ, but we will still need a test before we are allowed on the ship in Sydney so may still be turned away and not get to go our cruise?

You no longer need to do a pre-departure (what in the USA may be called a pre-arrival) for travelling into Sydney (or other parts of Australia - see latest rules/updates from Australia government):  https://www.health.gov.au/health-alerts/covid-19/international-travel/inbound