What's on Viking...what's on Canada

Our information was updated on Viking except the specific country information.  

From Viking

Proof of negative COVID-19 test (laboratory-certified) - PCR test taken within 72 hours of your scheduled ship boarding time, or - Antigen test taken within 2 days of your scheduled ship boarding time. - And/or Proof of Recovery: If you have recovered from a COVID-19 infection (within 10–180 days prior to departure) ensure you carry proof of a positive PCR test result from the time of infection. - Note: If you are on a pre-extension, you will be provided with the necessary tests to meet Canada’s testing requirement.

But this is what Canada says....

Government of Canada temporarily suspending mandatory random arrival testing at all airports

As part of the structured plan to move COVID-19 testing out of airports, from June 11 at 12:01 a.m. (EDT) to June 30, 2022, the Government of Canada is temporarily suspending mandatory random arrival testing at all airports for travellers who qualify as fully vaccinated.

Anyone actually arrived in Canada that has seen that testing is not required?

Canada has stopped testing crossing the border.  While we have not flown, our last few trips across the border we have not needed to test.

However, during the whole pandemic, country testing has not always aligned with Viking’s.  Viking can still require a negative test, even if the country does not.  We ran into this situation too.  

Viking has not updated this information online in MyVikingJourney.  If you go to the Viking main website and go to the Health and Safety tab, you will see a video from The Chairman saying that all onboard testing is now stopped.  (Onboard testing is still available, but not mandatory daily)

See the text below - Viking highly recommends, but does NOT require a pre-departure test.

https://www.vikingcruisescanada.com/oceans/why-viking/health-and-safety/health-and-safety-program.html

This text can also be found in the health and safety tab:

Pre-Departure COVID-19 Testing

Viking is committed to doing all we can to ensure you are healthy and well prepared for international travel—and that you will be able to arrive in your destination and embark your ship without incident. Viking highly recommends, but does not require, a pre-departure COVID-19 test—unless one is required by the destination.

As of June 10, 2022, select ocean voyages on the Viking Orion and expedition voyages on the Viking Octantis in the United States and Canada will continue to require a pre-departure COVID-19 test.

Please note that Viking is in the process of notifying guests about these changes to the Viking Health & Safety Program, as well as updating specific requirements for all voyages across documents channels, including on MyVikingJourney.com.

Edited by CDNPolar

6 hours ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

Our information was updated on Viking except the specific country information.  

From Viking

Proof of negative COVID-19 test (laboratory-certified) - PCR test taken within 72 hours of your scheduled ship boarding time, or - Antigen test taken within 2 days of your scheduled ship boarding time. - And/or Proof of Recovery: If you have recovered from a COVID-19 infection (within 10–180 days prior to departure) ensure you carry proof of a positive PCR test result from the time of infection. - Note: If you are on a pre-extension, you will be provided with the necessary tests to meet Canada’s testing requirement.

But this is what Canada says....

Government of Canada temporarily suspending mandatory random arrival testing at all airports

As part of the structured plan to move COVID-19 testing out of airports, from June 11 at 12:01 a.m. (EDT) to June 30, 2022, the Government of Canada is temporarily suspending mandatory random arrival testing at all airports for travellers who qualify as fully vaccinated.

Anyone actually arrived in Canada that has seen that testing is not required?

Viking is complying with Canadian requirements. I assume you are on Orion or Octantis.

In general, vaccination is required for foreign nationals.

Canada requires pre-boarding testing for cruise ships if you board in Canada, OR if your cruise stops in Canada (even if the cruise originates outside Canada) - hence the requirements for Octantis and Orion.

This is unique to cruise ships - there is no arrival testing by air or land now. Continue to stay tuned - as with everywhere, the picture keeps changing. 🍺🥌

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the info....yes we are on Octantis....I was really hoping for no testing just because it's such a hassle.  I did not see that in the health and safety tab, so will take a look at that.  I'm hoping that possibly they may change that by August, but I'm not holding my breath.  

55 minutes ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

Thanks for the info....yes we are on Octantis....I was really hoping for no testing just because it's such a hassle.  I did not see that in the health and safety tab, so will take a look at that.  I'm hoping that possibly they may change that by August, but I'm not holding my breath.  

I've attached the latest Viking overview document - you can get to it from the Viking Health & Safety FAQs - but you have to click on the "here" under additional requirements, so it's a bit of a search.

Scroll down to Canada and you'll see the gory details. Canada has been relaxing its rules recently, so this may well change prior to August - which way is not predictable these days!

August on the lakes should be great ... 🍺🥌

14-PreCruiseRequirement-All-US_CAN_UK_AU_NZ.pdf

Thanks CurlerRob.....I missed the click on "here" when I looked and posted this thread.  When I went back there today and clicked on "here" I got all the clarification.  I'm hoping by Aug. we'll see that dropped, otherwise we'll probably opt for one of the home test they suggest as I'm hearing wait times to be tested in person are crazy locally at this time.