Help me with my TA, shipboard credit issue...

hipquest

We booked our cruise well over a year ago, 2 cabins, Cat. 11 and Cat 8G. The 8G (my mothers's, over 55) has been reduced by nearly $450.00. I called my TA on Saturday when I found this out and no answer all day at the agency (they say they are opened 7:30am to 5:30pm Pacific time on Saturdays), at any rate I called this morning to ask about receiving credit. He said "No, your final payment is in." I replied that a lady on our roll call was not only given credit but back to her CC NOT shipboard credit. He said he would look into it and get back to me. I have not heard a word from him today. What should I do? Can I transfer this to another TA or back to Carnival (we sail 4-2-06)? I don't want this deal to sell out before this guy gets his act together. Am I asking too much?

Any help is very appreciated. Thanks

........ He said "No, your final payment is in."

He's not doing his job. A good TA will go to bat for you. He's afraid he'll lose commission.:rolleyes: Even after final payment, my Carnival PVP has given me shipboard credits when lower rate was found. Before final payment, my final payment has been reduced.

Unfortunately, when booking w/an outside agency, Carnival will not 'interfere' with that booking. You can't transfer the booking to Carnival. So - unless you can convince this knucklehead to try to get the shipboard credit for your mom, I'm afraid you're outta luck.

Keep after him! Maybe if you bug him enough, he'll do what he should do for you! Good luck....that's a lotta $$$.

I agree with cotton. This TA, unfortunately, is not looking after your best interests. Insist on it or transfer the booking to another TA or to the cruise line (beware, the current agency has to agree to this, and you know if they are behaving this way for a credit, they will drag their feet to transfer it). I've never had a problem with the cruise line giving the credit back to my clients, so your TA shouldn't either, and if they do, they should at least try before saying No!.

Regards,

Enrique

I agree with cotton. This TA, unfortunately, is not looking after your best interests. Insist on it or transfer the booking to another TA or to the cruise line (beware, the current agency has to agree to this, and you know if they are behaving this way for a credit, they will drag their feet to transfer it).

No other trave agency will take the booking after final payment has been made. Why? The original agency has already received their commission and the new agency will end up losing money by taking it and getting a lower price.

Although Carnival won't talk to you directly, they will talk with you and your TA. You can request a three way call.

This is all that needs to be said, "I see that the price of my booking has gone down xxx amount of $$. Can you please offer me shipboard credit for the difference?" There is a chance that they will say no, but more then likely they will say yes.

We had a similar problem several years ago with a TA that I wish I could paste all over these boards, but since it is against the rules I can't. Needless to say, our new TA has received all of our business since then and will continue to because of the great service we get.

Good luck.

Diane

OMG-he will not do a 3-way call, saying this is Carnivals policy and they will not issue onboard credit. I told him it just happened for a lady on our cruise and she had emailed me her TA info and it was no problem for her. He said forward them to me and I'll see what I can do. :mad:

OMG-he will not do a 3-way call, saying this is Carnivals policy and they will not issue onboard credit. I told him it just happened for a lady on her cruise and she had emailed me her TA info and it was no problem for her. He said forward them to me and I'll see what I can do. :mad:

I would ask to speak with his superior:mad:

He is the superior!:eek: No where else to go.

Wow that sucks.. Have you called Carnival and inquired if in fact they would do this if you were booked directly thru them? Just give it to them as a hypothetical.. If so then get the name and ext # of the PVP and call him.. Even if you can get a confirmation via email or fax.. stating they allow and do give credits when the price goes down..

He sucks:mad:

Wow that sucks.. Have you called Carnival and inquired if in fact they would do this if you were booked directly thru them? Just give it to them as a hypothetical.. If so then get the name and ext # of the PVP and call him.. Even if you can get a confirmation via email or fax.. stating they allow and do give credits when the price goes down..

He sucks:mad:

Great idea! Thanks

I just got an email saying-

"I think I have you squared away. Just waiting on a fax from Carnival toverify the info they gave me and I will send over the details... "

So, I will wait to see what he got for us. Thanks for all of your help and sympathy.:)

I have purchased my last two cruises through CCL. The Prior 4 where purchased through individual T/A's. Thank goodness I did not have any issues to come up with those 4. After reading all of the horror stories on these boards, I will only book direct through the cruise line. I know things can still happen, but it looks as though more of them are resolved mutally when booked directly. I think the prices are the same anyway no matter who you book through. It's ashame because this hurts the reputation of all independant vendors.

Not all agencies are created equal. Sounds like you went through a private agent.

I learned this very valuble lesson a few cruises back. I lost a lot of money on our Victory cruise because the agency does not give any reductions after final payment.

Even with numerous calls etc.etc to carnival-- there was nothing they could do for me since the agent would not budge- Needless to say I never used them again--and its the firt thing I ask a new agfent before I book again.

for over 400 plus saving-- it might be worth it to cancel and rebook. you will still be ahead.

Did you mom book an 8G or did she get that cabin as an upgrade?

My TA came thru for me! Here is his 2nd email (for info purposes on how rates work.)

The problem lies in the ratecode, not all agencies have "wholesale" rate codes. When we changed the rate on your mom's cabin the 1st time around we switched it to a wholesale rate to give you the price reduction then.This time we are trying to change it after final payment and from a wholesale to a retail rate. Wholesale rates are not commissionable, we process the commission in house. In this case Carnival will change the rate on the cruise for me, but not make it commissionable which allowsfor the credit.As of right now, you have a $100 shipboard credit from Carnival and $100 refund coming from us. Because Carnival changed the current rate to match the senior rate. I assume that isn't enough for you, so I am trying to get them to change it to the commissionable rate.There is a difference of $423 between the rate today and the rate you paid us. I am on the phone with them trying to get this corrected. I will keep you posted as to the outcome.

And here is his final email...

"Okay.You are going to get an onboard credit for $100 from Carnival for that cabin, we will be receiving additional refund from Carnival of $223 on Monday. After confirmation of that payment, we will issue a refund to you for $323. That covers the $423 difference.Needless to say, no more changes. :-) I hope this works for you."

Yes, that works for me! He will be getting a bon voyage gift from me!:D

I don't think I got a bad travel agent, now. I just did not know all that retail/wholesale stuff. I think it helped that I forwarded those emails from the other lady on our cruise who did get a credit. At any rate, I am very happy with the outcome.:)

Archived