Majestic June 2023 change from Skagway to Icy Strait

GABunch

Have a couple questions

1) Should we try to rebook and find a ship that goes to Skagway?

2) Icy Strait is it worth going too? I know its small

When we booked, we were looking forward to Skagway and the train ride. Princess gave no explanation why the change. I just want the best possible vacation since this will be our last trip to Alaska. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank You

Skagway is one of my favorite ports.  Nice walking town with more than plenty to do.  When is your cruise?  Will you be able to find another cruise that will be equivalent in price?  Are you flexible with dates?

If yes, then yes....

Why is Princess missing Skagway?  Too many ships in port?  I've said this many times already.  Not a good year to go to Alaska.

Edited by cr8tiv1

30 minutes ago, wallyj said:

@cr8tiv1, the title of the post Majestic 2023, this cruise is NEXT year. Appear to be the southbound June 3 and June 17th, 2023 sailings.

Maybe 2023 won't be a good year to go to Alaska either.  Why is Princess skipping Skagway for Icy Strait Point?  Makes no sense to me.

ISP has changed. It depends on what you want from your vacation. 

Turn left at the end of the pier and ISP now boasts an amusement part of sorts, which will likely continue to develop. Shops in the converted cannery at the end of the pier. Turn right at the end of the pier and a bus is available into Hoonah. It's a good two miles round trip walk, which we do. Hoonah is small town Alaska, not "touristy." Great photos on the way of eagles and sea life.

Skagway is gold rush era history, excursions, gift shops and tourists. Much more to do.

1 hour ago, bjkTX said:

It's been a few years but when we went to Icy Straight Point the only thing there was the shops the cruise line built - not a good trade off for Skagway 😞

???

My understanding was that all the businesses at Icy Point Strait were locally owned.  There are no Walmarts and no Diamonds International.  The thing that I liked about Icy Strait Point/Hoonah was that all the money I spent there stayed in the community.  On our one visit to Icy Strait Point I was very impressed with the hospitality and the sincerity of the excursion personnel.  

I do think that I read that NCL has built a second dock.  I am sure that if another cruise company uses that dock, then money does flow to NCL.  If I am wrong about all the other businesses being locally owwned, I would like to hear which ones aren't.

Did you not know, by the way, that Carnival Corporation is a minority owner of the White Pass and Yukon Railway in Skagway.

@GABunch Yes, you should definitely rebook to get the itinerary you want.  If this is, in fact, the only opportunity you get to visit Alaska, it is important that you fulfiill your dreams.  If you don't, you will always second guess your decision.

• 2 weeks later...

My Discovery stop at Skagway was diverted to ISP last week because of pier damage, and I was disappointed at first but quite happy, because the other ports had multiple ships and thousands of passengers, whereas we were the only ship in ISP. They're added a free gondola ride to get some views, and it was low tide when we were there, so families and adults were beachcombing, seeing starfish, clams, and other things. I walked to Hoonah, only 1.5 miles each way, and saw many bald eagles swooping down trying to catch salmon, including right in front of a kayaking excursion, and I also saw a a sea lion splashing around with a salmon in its mouth, and heard the kayakers see him resting on rocks. I also got to meet actual Alaskans in Hoonah, stopping for coffee and seeing fishermen and others out working, so I think it makes a better alternative to Juneau and Ketchikan than Skagway does, particularly for those who have been there many times and aren't into shopping or sitting on a train. 

• Like 2