Istanbul Image

When I switched my computer on this morning I got a surprise which bought back fond memories, The start up page had a picture of Istanbul with a cruise ship in the middle distance. A blue funnel and immediately recognized as ???? The only difference between her and her sister was the shape of the bandstand on the pool deck at the stern. Free advertising for a cruise line which changed its name 😁

On 6/20/2022 at 5:37 PM, davecttr said:

When I switched my computer on this morning I got a surprise which bought back fond memories, The start up page had a picture of Istanbul with a cruise ship in the middle distance. A blue funnel and immediately recognized as ???? The only difference between her and her sister was the shape of the bandstand on the pool deck at the stern. Free advertising for a cruise line which changed its name 😁

I noticed that too. Favourite ship and favourite port

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Rebel Rouser said:

Could it be this one we saw in Kuşadası, Aydın, Turkey we saw in Early June.

Destiny 0001.jpg

Ah! Destiny is still cruising. The Istanbul ship did not have a sky bar and the funnel was TUI blue, either Spirit or Celebration.

I liked Destiny. A lot of passengers never found their way to that bar and someone said to me they wanted to go there but did not want to climb up that ladder on the funnel - honest 🤣

I could not understand why they named a lounge Klahoma then someone pointed out the hat 🤠

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

liked Destiny. A lot of passengers never found their way to that bar and someone said to me they wanted to go there but did not want to climb up that ladder on the funnel - honest 🤣

Our first cruise was on Destiny still one of our favourites. We used the lift to the sky bar which could be exciting in rough seas🙄

2 hours ago, Rebel Rouser said:

Spirit was scrapped.

And Celebration is laid up in Greece awaiting scrapping. The Windows startup image was obviously an old one so it could be either ship.

7 minutes ago, Pensioncruiser said:

Anyone know what happened to the Emerald and Calypso? Good Times on both. 

Emerald scrapped in 2012

Calypso only sailed with Thomson 75/76 then various owners, scrapped 2004

My parents sailed on her, I have the daily newsletter somewhere. What caught my attention was the clay pigeon shooting off the stern 😲

Thanks for the info Dave, think you have the Calypso info wrong as we only did her once and that was 12th October 2009 cabin 656, sad that we have record's, it was an interesting cruise on the old ferry, but good and actually went through the Corinth canal, Keith Maynard was CD. The Emerald was the Thomson posh ship and you had to dress appropriately 🙄

On 6/25/2022 at 1:18 PM, Pensioncruiser said:

Our first cruise was on Destiny still one of our favourites. We used the lift to the sky bar which could be exciting in rough seas🙄

Great views from the Sky Bar. I remember the trio who played in there in the evening. Canta Serenata They were from the Philippines and also played in various venues around the ship during the day. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nancyneptune said:

Great views from the Sky Bar. I remember the trio who played in there in the evening. Canta Serenata They were from the Philippines and also played in various venues around the ship during the day. 

When in this bar (every night) for our late-night drinks. We were always the last to leave. One night said Group if there were any last requests. Now I like Leonard Cohen and I shouted Hallelujah ..everybody thought it was Hallelujah it was the last song.. I had to explain to the group..they didnt know the song but rehearsed it overnight to play the next night 😂😆

• Haha 3