Tubing on the White River

martyz

We went with Trevor Hudlin 2 years ago and had a great time. We are now going back with our kids and are going with him again. He personalized the tour to what we wanted to do. He is so kind, sincere and has a great personality. We really felt like we had a taste of the Island when we were done. Would not hesitate to use him again. Unlike some of the others, he is not talked about as much and we had a private tour.....

We just returned from our trip to Jamaica. We used A-Z Planners for our tour of Dunns River Falls and river tubing. Mickey was our guide for the day. We were very well taken care of.

Haven't heard much about A-Z lately. Can you give any more details? We've got them booked for this trip in April and I'd love to hear more.

Haven't heard much about A-Z lately. Can you give any more details? We've got them booked for this trip in April and I'd love to hear more.

Look for my thread, posted today - A-Z Planners - a good time had by all

If you have any questions, I would be happy to answer them. I have no doubt you will enjoy your day.

Look for my thread, posted today - A-Z Planners - a good time had by all

If you have any questions, I would be happy to answer them. I have no doubt you will enjoy your day.

Well apparently I screwed up and my post was deleted. So, I will give you the details of our trip.

Everything went smoothly from start to finish. My e-mail communications were answered promptly by Georgeen. She even contacted me to make sure we arrived home safely and to solicit feedback.

I booked a private tour at $10 extra per person - very reasonable in my opinion. Our group consisted of my husband, myself, our 11 year old daughter and 9 year old son. My daughter has both Down Syndrome and Diabetes and we didn't want to slow anyone down in a group tour. We also thought it best to tour by ourselves in case we had a medical issue.

We were told to exit the ship a half hour after docking and to let the dock personnel know that we had a tour with A-Z. We did so and shortly thereafter our driver, Mickey arrived.

Our first stop was Dunns River Falls. We got there nice and early before the crowds. Mickey talked it over with the guides and it was decided that my husband and son would do the beginning part of the climb which is a bit more difficult. My daughter and I observed from a viewing platform. and joined them midway. At the next exit point, my husband and daughter exited and my son and I completed the climb. We all got a chance to participate and it was great fun.

Mickey then took us to Wassi Pottery. We got to tour the facility and meet the craftspeople. My son even got to try his hand at the pottery wheel. They make some beautiful pieces and there is no pressure to buy. We then travelled to Fern Gully. Mickey took us to visit a local " medicine man" named Richard. He showed us various leaves and spices. It was quite interesting - we smelled spearmint, lemon and others.

For lunch we went to the Ruins. The view was fantastic. They had a buffet for $15 each with jerk chicken and pork specialties. We washed it down with Red Stripes. Following lunch, we headed to river tubing. Once again, Mickey made sure the guides looked after my daughter. It was very relaxing and enjoyable.

Our final stop was Margaritaville. Mickey was kind enough to wait for us and he returned us to the dock in time to make our ship.

Mickey is an Englishman and we were quite impressed with his knowledge of Jamaica and local customs. He was quite accomodating and answered all our questions.

I hope you have a great day like we did!

Quick update...

I still have not gotten a response back from Mr. Lafayette, but Orville Taylor emailed me back (auto response and personal) email within a day. I guess timing maybe everything...still haven't decided what we are going to do...

You say that your driver waited for you at Margarittaville and then took you back to the ship. I thought Margarittaville was right at the pier; am I mistaken on this?

There are two piers and we docked at the other one. It was a short drive from Margaritaville.

To answer the original OP question, I would not take a cab. It was a decent drive from the pier to to the river tubing site - around 30 minutes. I would probaby spend a lot of my tubing time worrying as to whether the driver waited for us.

There are plenty of tours - we used Chukka - and they can combine tubing with other sites in Ocho Rios including the Falls.

To answer the original OP question, I would not take a cab. It was a decent drive from the pier to to the river tubing site - around 30 minutes. I would probaby spend a lot of my tubing time worrying as to whether the driver waited for us.

There are plenty of tours - we used Chukka - and they can combine tubing with other sites in Ocho Rios including the Falls.

Oh my gosh - I guess we did get a bit off topic.

I would definitely not take a taxi to the river tubing or try and get there on my own. It is too remote and there are plenty of reasonably priced tours that will take you there.

• 2 months later...

I will second the recommendation of Trevor Hudlin. My wife and I, and two other couples that are friends of ours, toured Ocho Rios with Trevor and had a great time! He and his assistant, Jenny, were very friendly, knowledgeable and were great guides.

Trevor took us to Dunn's River Falls, and then toured the area around Ocho Rios, like Ferngully, and then took us to float down the White River on innertubes. Our guide for the river tubing was Rambo (yes, his real name), and he is highly recommended, as well. He was a great guide on the river and our whole group had a lot of fun.

Trevor is very flexible and will take you to the shopping areas (and let you know which areas to avoid), places to eat, the Falls, etc. - wherever you want to go and however long you want to stay. He is also very reasonably priced and can arraange tickets to the falls, and payment for the tubing ahead of time, so you only have to pay him one amount for the entire tour.

His website is: www.trevorhudlintours.com

Check it out!

Someone posted that there was no recent boards about Phill. Please check mine titled Phill Layfayette was wonderful!! Dunn's Falls & rafting. I actually meant tubing here. In that posting, I described in detail the day with Phil.....We were on Royal Carribean Voyager April 8-15. Great fun and I would recommend Phill. I know he may take a day or 2 to respond, but the day was very memorable. I checked a recent communication from him and it is spelled Phil Lafayette and can be emailed at www.phil-lafayette-tours.com or phillaf@cwjamaica.com

I attached photos to show the White River. I also would not recommend doing this via taxi. It is far away from the ship and up narrow streets and some back roads. Phil is punctual, gets you to the falls almost first and gets you on your way to the river. His airconditioned bus is new and you feel safe traveling with him. It will cost you 20 per person for his transportation services for the day. The Dunn's Falls is 15 and tubing is 20. Thus the 55 for the entire excursion.

Good luck and have a great cruise!!

Ava

1982126109_Adamswingingcliff.jpg.7baf569b0c5d23253bbee2dae375b5f4.jpg

1904031149_AdamfloatingWhiteRiver.jpg.49e65d4c866eb68f754dcb0c70b69222.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Just curious....we're thinking about the White River Tubing excursion for our April 2007 cruise...what is the river water temperature like? Comfortable, or will we be freezing our buns off?:o

How much are the tours normally? What is the typical length of time that we should anticipate spending on one of the tours?

For just the River Tubing it cost $20. We added this to our day of Dunns River Falls and whatever else we wanted to do. I am not sure what a taxi would charge you to just go to the River and back, but if you lump it in you only have to pay the tubing charge as extra (no extra for transportation).

The river tubing experiene is about 45-60 minutes long. It takes about 15-20 minutes to get there from Dunns River Falls. So shave about 5 minutes if you leave from the pier.

A complete day including DRF could be as long as 3-4 hours if you take your time and do nothing else.

Does that help? Not sure if I clearly conveyed it.

Archived